Lindros, LeClair, Desjardins to be inducted into Flyers HoF

radoran

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727548

The Philadelphia Flyers will induct Eric LindrosJohn LeClair and Eric Desjardins into the Flyers Hall of Fame during the 2014-15 season, according to team president Paul Holmgren. Lindros and LeClair will be inducted on Thursday, November 20 prior to the team’s game against the Minnesota Wild, while Desjardins will join the group with a ceremony before the Thursday, February 19 game against the Buffalo Sabres.

@radoran

does this mean #88, #10, and #37 become retired numbers for the Flyers? I forget how this works. 

No - the HoF is different from retiring numbers.

There's a list at the link of the members - including current GM Ron Hextall. :D

Can't argue with any of these selections.  All have made significant contributions to this team.

OFF TOPIC - regarding what Bertmega mentioned.  Is there any # currently still be worn that is worthy of being retired?  I can't think of any.

Are #88 , #10, and #37 worthy of retirement? 

Just curious to everyone thoughts.  Maybe I will make a separate thread regarding this topic.

@pilldoc

At the moment I do not think that there is any number that should be retired. Maybe, and it's a reach, I would retire #55. 

Pavel Brendl 6 goals and 7 assists in 50 games for the O&B. How Vancouver did not take him with the #2 pick is beyond me. 

As far as I have heard, they either need to win a Cup or go into the Hockey hall (e.g. Howe)

yeah ..pretty much agree with you there.  Like I said, I was just curious.  Outside of the 3 mentioned above, I really cannot think of anyone else who even belongs in the conversation.

Speaking of retiring numbers........there are 2 teams that have retired numbers for an entire scoring line.

Detroit Red Wings...The Production Line:

• Gordie Howe (#9)
  • Ted Lindsay (#7)
  • Sid Abel (#12)

Buffalo Sabres...The French Connection:

• Gilbert Pierreault (#11)
  • Rick Martin (#7)
  • Rene Roberts (#14)

Rod Brind'Amour should also be inducted into the Flyers HOF from that era.  Lindros has the best shot of any of these guys to make the NHL HOF in Toronto. (even though I was more of a LeClair, Brindy and Desjardins fan).

If they'd have won a cup, I think all three get retired. As it is they're just great Flyers.

Can't argue with any of these selections. All have made significant contributions to this team.

OFF TOPIC - regarding what Bertmega mentioned. Is there any # currently still be worn that is worthy of being retired? I can't think of any.

Are #88 , #10, and #37 worthy of retirement?

Just curious to everyone thoughts. Maybe I will make a separate thread regarding this topic.

Poor Reg Leach. We were so close to being on that list!

<p>

Speaking of retiring numbers........there are 2 teams that have retired numbers for an entire scoring line.

Detroit Red Wings...The Production Line:

• Gordie Howe (#9)
  • Ted Lindsay (#7)
  • Sid Abel (#12)

Buffalo Sabres...The French Connection:

• Gilbert Pierreault (#11)
  • Rick Martin (#7)
  • Rene Roberts (#14)

• Like 1

I don't think so. It's unofficially retired.

then they should just make it official.  It was a huge tragedy for this team. Truthfully except for Hexy, goalie has always been an issue with this team.  Maybe it is time to just raise his number to the rafters in respect for Pelle. In 1983, he was named goalie of the NHL All-Rookie Team. He led the NHL with 40 victories during the 1984–85 season and won the Vezina Trophy, the first European goaltender to do so in NHL history. That same year, he was also named a First Team All-Star.  So in his very short career with the Flyers, he definitely made a mark.

One has to think how the Flyers teams of the mid to late 80's would have turned out had Pelle still been alive.  One has to wonder if the Flyers win the Cup vs. the Oilers in 87' with Pelle in net instead of Hexy.  Please this is not a knock on Hexy at all.  For goodness sake he won the Conn Smythe during that run! At times I just wonder how some of those teams might have turned out with Pelle in net.  How good could have he have been?

That's it maybe if the Flyers officially retire his number then whatever curse that has befallen on this team my actually be erased. Ok...I'm just ramblin on here...

Bottom line....out of respect for Pelle, they should officially retire his number.

• Like 2

then they should just make it official. It was a huge tragedy for this team. Truthfully except for Hexy, goalie has always been an issue with this team. Maybe it is time to just raise his number to the rafters in respect for Pelle. In 1983, he was named goalie of the NHL All-Rookie Team. He led the NHL with 40 victories during the 1984–85 season and won the Vezina Trophy, the first European goaltender to do so in NHL history. That same year, he was also named a First Team All-Star. So in his very short career with the Flyers, he definitely made a mark.

One has to think how the Flyers teams of the mid to late 80's would have turned out had Pelle still been alive. One has to wonder if the Flyers win the Cup vs. the Oilers in 87' with Pelle in net instead of Hexy. Please this is not a knock on Hexy at all. For goodness sake he won the Conn Smythe during that run! At times I just wonder how some of those teams might have turned out with Pelle in net. How good could have he have been?

That's it maybe if the Flyers officially retire his number then whatever curse that has befallen on this team my actually be erased. Ok...I'm just ramblin on here...

Bottom line....out of respect for Pelle, they should officially retire his number.

You know, that post is the single best argument I've ever heard for doing it.

But, given how things...happened...does that send the wrong message? A mistake of catastrophic proportions leading to Flyers immortality? Young success for a brief stint and you're in the rafters?

I'm only playing the other side of the argument, and I mean no disrespect.

• Like 2

You know, that post is the single best argument I've ever heard for doing it.

But, given how things...happened...does that send the wrong message? A mistake of catastrophic proportions leading to Flyers immortality? Young success for a brief stint and you're in the rafters?

I'm only playing the other side of the argument, and I mean no disrespect.

Thanks doom.  I definitely see your point about sending out a wrong message.  And yes I know you mean absolutely no disrespect, you are simply playing devil's advocate.  It was tragic simply because it was preventable.  Unlike say someone like Roberto Clemente who died a tragic death due to an aviation accident and having the Pirates retire his number.

I am now clearly on the fence with this one.  You bring up a very valid point...on one hand i would love to see his number retired however...like you said...do something stupid, like drinking and driving and then get immortalized.  Tough call....

Thanks doom. I definitely see your point about sending out a wrong message. And yes I know you mean absolutely no disrespect, you are simply playing devil's advocate. It was tragic simply because it was preventable. Unlike say someone like Roberto Clemente who died a tragic death due to an aviation accident and having the Pirates retire his number.

I am now clearly on the fence with this one. You bring up a very valid point...on one hand i would love to see his number retired however...like you said...do something stupid, like drinking and driving and then get immortalized. Tough call....

If he performed at that level for ten years, I'd probably still retire his number. It's the mistake AND lack of total NHL games played in my opinion.