Lindros, LeClair, Desjardins to be inducted into Flyers HoF

radoran

@pilldoc  Yeah, even though I did agree with your post, doom made some very valid points also. I'm kinda torn, but in the end, I'd say he needed more NHL games to hang from the rafters. I remember Pelle well, and thought his skill set was one of a star, but again...just playing devils advocate, if Jim Carey had died after his initial Rookie of the Year outstanding season, would he have hung from the rafters also?  That's why you need a few more years of NHL experience before hanging up there, or it cheapens the other jersey's hanging up there.

With all the goalies we've had in recent history, they all seemed to have #'s in the thirties.  Someone must have had 31 at some point.  In my mind I was developing a flyer's 'curse theory' with goaltenders with 30's #'s on their jerseys.

@jammer2

I think @doom88 makes the best point to why his number should not be raised to the rafters.  He simply did not have enough games.  If we all put down the O&B glasses, including myself, we would all see this.  Most of us who remember Pelle are letting our emotions override our thoughts.  Maybe the Flyers can honor/remember him in some other way?

Also for all the talk of Pelle, let us not forget what happened to Tertyshny.  That too was a tragic death in the Flyers organization and no one is clamoring that we should retire his number. (which they shouldn't)  Therefore, applying the same principle and logic to Pelle, the Flyers can't really officially retire his number for the simple fact, not including the circumstances of his death, he just did not have enough games as a Flyer.

With all the goalies we've had in recent history, they all seemed to have #'s in the thirties.  Someone must have had 31 at some point.  In my mind I was developing a flyer's 'curse theory' with goaltenders with 30's #'s on their jerseys.

according to http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/rosternum.cgi

The only players to wear #31 are:

Phil Myre (G) 79-81

Frank Bathe (D) 77-83

Bob Ritchie (LW) 76-77

Pelle Lindbergh (G) 81-86

EDIT:  .... I found a better website: http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/PHI/numbers.html

Bob Ritchie (1977)

Frank Bathe (1979)

Phil Myre (1980-1981)

Pelle Lindbergh (1982-1986)

@jackhole

Here is a list of goalies who had numbers in the 30's:

#30:

Darren Jensen (1985-1986)
Wendell Young (1988)
Bruce Hoffort (1990-1991)
Tommy Soderstrom (1993-1994)
Garth Snow (1996-1998)
Antero Niittymaki (2004-2009)
Johan Backlund (2010)
Ilya Bryzgalov (2012-2013)

#31:

Pelle Lindbergh (1982-1986)

#32:

Roman Cechmanek (2001-2003)

#33:

Jerome Mrazek (1976)
Pete Peeters (1979-1991)
Michel Larocque (1983)
Darren Jensen (1985)
Glenn Resch (1986-1987)
Mark LaForest (1988-1989)
Dominic Roussel (1992-1996)
Sean Burke (1998-2004)
Brian Boucher (2000-2013)
Jeff Hackett (2004)
Cal Heeter (2014)

#34:

John Vanbiesbrouck (1999-2000)

#35:

Bob Froese (1983-1987)
Ken Wregget (1989-1992)
Stephane Beauregard (1993)
Frederic Chabot (1994)
Neil Little (2002-2004)
Martin Houle (2007)
Jeremy Duchesne (2010)
Sergei Bobrovsky (2011-2012)
Steve Mason (2013-2014)

#36 - #39: No Goalies

----------------------------------------------------------

Other notable Goalies

#43:

Martin Biron (2007-2009)

#49:

Marc D'Amour (1989)
Jean-Marc Pelletier (1999)
Maxime Ouellet (2001)
Michael Leighton (2007-2013)

Ray Emery (2010-2014)

@jammer2

I think @doom88 makes the best point to why his number should not be raised to the rafters.  He simply did not have enough games.  If we all put down the O&B glasses, including myself, we would all see this.  Most of us who remember Pelle are letting our emotions override our thoughts.  Maybe the Flyers can honor/remember him in some other way?

Also for all the talk of Pelle, let us not forget what happened to Tertyshny.  That too was a tragic death in the Flyers organization and no one is clamoring that we should retire his number. (which they shouldn't)  Therefore, applying the same principle and logic to Pelle, the Flyers can't really officially retire his number for the simple fact, not including the circumstances of his death, he just did not have enough games as a Flyer.

Being a big Lindbergh fan, I understand why the Flyers never officially retired Pelle's number, mainly due to the wrong message that the Flyers would send honoring a player who died by drinking and driving. I'm fine with the "unofficial" retirement of number#31 as a tribute to what Pelle did with his time playing for the Flyers.

• Like 2

Being a big Lindbergh fan, I understand why the Flyers never officially retired Pelle's number, mainly due to the wrong message that the Flyers would send honoring a player who died by drinking and driving. I'm fine with the "unofficial" retirement of number#31 as a tribute to what Pelle did with his time playing for the Flyers.

Yep, that's right about where I sit also. An unofficial retirement ie players just not wearing it, is find with also. When you think about it, what Flyer goalie in his right mind would *want* to wear that number.....to much history there, good and bad.

• Like 1