On this day of Flyer history......(actually 8/4)

pilldoc

Another slow day from Flyerland......

from Bill Meltzer's blog.....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=61626#.U9957eVabKY.twitter

"On Aug 4, 2006, the Flyers traded Michal Handzus to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for forward Kyle Calder. A monumental bust with the Flyers during the disastrous 2006-07 season, Calder was traded back the Blackhawks on Feb. 26, 2007 in exchange for defenseman Lasse Kukkonen and a 2007 third-round pick (Garrett Klotz). Coincidentally, Chicago initially drafted Calder with a fifth-round 1997 draft pick that originally belonged to the Flyers. The pick was acquired along with defenseman Bob Wilkie in the 1995 trade that sent former first-round pick Karl Dykhuis to the Flyers. During his brief and forgettable stint as a Flyer, Calder scored just nine goals and 21 points in 59 games despite averaging 15:06 of ice time (including 2:09 of power play time) per game. He was a minus-31."

Thanks for the memories Bill.....what a disaster that was.  A minus -31 in 59 games!!!!  OMG Lasse Kukkonen....what another stiff.!!!

On a brighter note

"Yesterday in Lake Placid, Team Sweden downed Team USA White by a 4-3 score. Flyers prospects Oskar Lindblom and Robert Hägg notched one assist apiece for the Swedes."

The future does indeed seem bright.... Here are the Flyers draft picks in action.....

"Numerous Flyers draft picks are playing this week for their national teams in early competition for spots at the 2014-15 World Junior Championships. Friendlies are underway both in Lake Placid, NY, and Montreal/Sherbrooke, Que. Participants include first-round picks Samuel Morin and Travis Sanheim (Canada), Robert Hägg and Oskar Lindblom (Sweden) and Radel Fazleev (Russia)."

@pilldoc  I was fooled by Calder, I thought it was a great pick up, I must admit. I remember ripping on people at the site to not be mentioned for questioning the Calder move....lol, little did I know.....

I knew he was stiff simply because i saw him play on a reqular basis when I used to live in Va.Bch.  I had season tickets to the Norfolk Admirals (Blackhawks at the time) and saw him on a nightly basis.  At times he struggled there and fans ripped him pretty good.  Same with Leighton.  Anderson was always the better goaltender.  Don't even get me started on Kukkonen.  He was lazy on the ice in Norfolk...did they really think a change of scenery was going to help. (still rolling my eyes) AND.....don't even get me going on the Patrick Sharp for Matt "i don't belong in the AHL let alone NHL" Ellison.  Nice player to talk too and very friendly...just couldn't play for jack.