Kimmo being treated for blood clots

DaGreatGazoo

I am very concerned with the clots in his lungs.  They are known at PE's (pulmonary emboli).  This needs to be treated as an emergent situation.  To prevent the clots from his legs from entering the lugns, they can place what is known as an IVC Filter in his legs to help prevent the clots from hislegs from breaking off and being transprted to his lungs.

Folks..this is serious.

Yes it is....this is what killed KC linebacker Derrick Thomas. He was being transported through the hopsital and a sudden bump dislodged a blood clot that traveled to his brain and he died in his wheel chair. Get well Kimmo forget hockey for your family.

DOC-since it's off season and he's not seeing team people every day. What would be the symptoms or how would this be diagnosed?

Curious what led to the discovery....

Hey Gaz, he is already at risk due to his prior history of having a clot back in 2008.  Classic symptoms of DVT(deep vein thrombosis or clot) include swelling, pain, and erythema (a marked rednessof the skin) of the involved extremity, usually the lower leg. There is not necessarily a correlation between the location of symptoms and the site of thrombosis. Symptoms in the calf alone are often the presenting manifestation of significant proximal vein involvement, while some patients with whole leg symptoms are found to have isolated calf vein DVT

Since there where clots found in his lungs, it is safe to assume he was also experiencing some type of shortness of breath (SOB).

Also, I'm just guessing here, that since he is under 50, not a female on oral contraception, and not recently given birth via c-section, that there could be a possible family history a hypercoagulable state, hence his prior history of a clot.

One must also rule out cancer, since malignancy can attribute to an increase risk of clots forming. I am hoping and praying this is not the case, however, I'm sure his doctors are at the minimum doing tests to rule this out.

Bottom line, at a minimum, I say he was experiencing shortness of breath to some degree and he was experiencing some type of leg pain with marked swelling and reddness to touch.   I'm sure he was educated back in 2008 to what the signs and symptoms of a clot are. Therefore when these symptoms appeared he when to his family doctor immediately who then had him admitted asap.

At a minimum he is recieving Heparin infusion at 18 units/kg/hr along with other anti-coagulants such as Coumadin (Wafarin).  Once stablilized he will probably be discharged home in a few days and will continue to use either Arixtra or Lovenox which are anti-coagulants that must be administered by Kimmo giving himself a shot.  He will also be on Coumadin probably indefinitely due to the fact that this is his 2nd episode.

IMO...his career is effectively over. 

Yes it is....this is what killed KC linebacker Derrick Thomas. He was being transported through the hopsital and a sudden bump dislodged a blood clot that traveled to his brain and he died in his wheel chair. Get well Kimmo forget hockey for your family.

I totally forgot about that.

I totally forgot about that.

Yeah his mom was with him when it happened he survived the car wreck and they were wheeling him somewhere I think to get Xrays and he just went limp and slumped over.....gone...nothing they could do. Sad he was one bad dude....set a record that will never be broke...7 sacks in one game...unreal.

From about 1 hour ago.....

Timonen "stable" in hospital with blood clots in leg, lungs

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/2014/08/05/timonen-stable-hospital-blood-clots-leg-lungs/13631027/

Flyers general manager Ron Hextall got an alarming phone call Monday when he learned that veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen was in the hospital with blood clots in his lower right leg and both lungs.

Timonen, 39, was hanging out with a buddy in his native Finland when he complained of having pain in his calf for the past three days. The four-time All-Star assumed he pulled a calf muscle and consulted with a friend of his, who is a doctor in Finland.

The doctor told Timonen to go to the hospital, where he expected to be released Wednesday.

"I haven't talked to him yet," Hextall said. "I reached out to him twice. He's in the hospital and he did send me a text. He seemed very frustrated, but we're all happy for Kimmo, (wife) Johanna and his three children that he's doing fine."

Flyers doctors have been in contact with doctors in Finland, where they say Timonen is in "stable" condition. In 2-3 weeks, when the five-time Olympian is able to travel again, he'll return to South Jersey where Flyers doctors will pick up evaluation.

"This could be a long-term thing and we have to prepare as an organization as if it is a long-term thing," Hextall said. "Can he play at some point next season? I don't have the answer to that.

"First and foremost, we're worried about Kimmo Timonen the person, not Kimmo Timonen the hockey player."

Timonen has been in Finland since mid-June, when he signed a one-year extension with the Flyers that could be worth $3.5 million if he hits all performance bonuses.

Between Timonen's injury history and recent players who have also suffered from blood clots, playing next season looks like a long shot.

Back in the 2008 playoffs, Timonen had a blood clot in his left ankle after blocking a shot by Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov.

Last season, Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Tomas Vokoun, 38, missed all 82 games when it was revealed that he had a blood clot in his pelvis. Winnipeg Jets defenseman Paul Postma, 25, missed a big chunk of last season when he discovered a blood clot in his leg, too.

Neither Postma nor Vokoun also had clots in both lungs and the Flyers don't have enough information to know if Timonen is predisposed to blood clot disorders.

"I don't know," Hextall said. "I guess it's easy to speculate on that because it happened again, but I really don't want to speculate on that. I don't have the answer to that."

Timonen's biggest reason for deciding to come back for a 16th season in the NHL was to win a championship.

"I want to come to the camp feeling like I can really help this team," Timonen said when he signed the extension in mid-June. "I want to help the team get to the Stanley Cup."

Meantime, Hextall has to think on the business side also. He is operating under the assumption that Timonen won't be able to play next year and would like to bring in outside help.

Aside from Timonen, the Flyers have seven healthy defensemen on one-way contracts this season: Mark Streit, Andrew MacDonald, Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Nick Schultz and Oliver Lauridsen.

Playing a rookie, like Shayne Gostisbehere, Samuel Morin or Robert Hagg, is something Hextall isn't comfortable with.

"If I had my choice, yes, I don't want to throw a kid into a situation he's not ready for," Hextall said. "The way to protect yourself is to add a veteran, if possible."

There aren't a ton of options left, but the Flyers might be inclined to take a chance on a free-agent pool that still includes Michael Del Zotto, 24, Jamie McBain, 26, and Raphael Diaz, 28.

Del Zotto makes the most sense based on his skill-set as a defenseman with potential of offensive upside. His best year was with the New York Rangers in 2011-12 when he had 10 goals and 31 assists in 77 games. He was traded to Nashville last season and fell out of their good graces. The two sides could not agree on contract terms this summer, allowing the restricted free agent to become unrestricted, meaning he can sign with any team.

A message for Del Zotto's agent was not immediately returned.

After reading this thread, and all the insightful ramifications, I fear the worst. It would be a sad way for Kimo's career to end, but that may just be the case. Very sad day for Flyer fans, but we may just have to turn the page and remember what a terrific warrior this guy was for us.

After reading this thread, and all the insightful ramifications, I fear the worst. It would be a sad way for Kimo's career to end, but that may just be the case. Very sad day for Flyer fans, but we may just have to turn the page and remember what a terrific warrior this guy was for us.

Kimmo-Timonen-thumbnail.jpg

If the worst case does happen and Kimo never plays another game, today was certainly one of those "what were you doing when.....". I was just about to watch David Price's debut for the Tigers and caught it on the scroll underneath. Some moments you just never forget where you were and what you were doing type of thing. This is one of those times.

All I hope for right now is for Kimmo to be alright. One of my all time favorites.

I completely agree with this sentiment.  Timo has been - and always will be - a true Flyer.  At this point, all I hope for is that he recovers and lives a healthy life...

It's a serious medical condition but plenty of people live normal lives with blood clots throughout their body; afaik it's only when they lodge in vital organs it becomes a problem. In the lungs isn't good but he'll be treated for that - worst case / best case options - and the clots can be prevented from reoccuring. I hope like hell KT recovers completely and lives a great life after hockey; he sure earned it.

It's a serious medical condition but plenty of people live normal lives with blood clots throughout their body; afaik it's only when they lodge in vital organs it becomes a problem. In the lungs isn't good but he'll be treated for that - worst case / best case options - and the clots can be prevented from reoccuring. I hope like hell KT recovers completely and lives a great life after hockey; he sure earned it.

Throughout their body yes. Lungs is a significant threat.

He will hopefully lead a normal life. Many do. But hockey is not "normal." Sadly, I think we've seen him play his last game.

I am very concerned with the clots in his lungs.  They are known at PE's (pulmonary emboli).  This needs to be treated as an emergent situation.  To prevent the clots from his legs from entering the lugns, they can place what is known as an IVC Filter in his legs to help prevent the clots from hislegs from breaking off and being transprted to his lungs.

Folks..this is serious.

Timmo get better! Hockey is seconder 

@pilldoc

Thanks for all the great information.  It's terrific to have someone so knowledgeable on the board, although you are scaring the bejesus out of me, and others I'm sure.

Let's keep Kimmo in our prayers!!!!!  He's definitely one of the Flyers greats and whether he ever plays hockey in the Orange and Black agin, I hope he comes through this with flying colours and is able to life a happy, HEALTHY life that is so deserved!!

Bad news for key vet and Flyers on Page D1 of Wednesday August 06, 2014 issue of Philadelphia Inquirer - Philly Edition

Also a blurb from the Inquirer.  So sad!!!

BOOM...per Meltzer, and as I kinda thought.  I remembered reading somewhere that 1 year deals were exempt, but didn't know if that was also in the new CBA.

He is likely to be placed on long-term injured reserve unless his condition necessitates his retirement (which would not count against the Flyers' salary cap figure because it is a one-year contract and is not subject to the over-35 contract rules).

@pilldoc

Thanks for all the great information.  It's terrific to have someone so knowledgeable on the board, although you are scaring the bejesus out of me, and others I'm sure.

Let's keep Kimmo in our prayers!!!!!  He's definitely one of the Flyers greats and whether he ever plays hockey in the Orange and Black agin, I hope he comes through this with flying colours and is able to life a happy, HEALTHY life that is so deserved!!

Bad news for key vet and Flyers on Page D1 of Wednesday August 06, 2014 issue of Philadelphia Inquirer - Philly Edition

Also a blurb from the Inquirer.  So sad!!!

Sorry to scare everyone as that is/was not the intent.  So many times people make light of a situation, such as "oh it is jsut a pulled hamstring, or he just tweaked his knee or fill in the blank____________________" 

This is a serious condition.  First and foremost I want Kimmo to heal.  Hockey at this point is an after thought.  Secondly, I have been blessed with a terrific career in the medical field.  Something like blood clots is very scary and there are many questions.  Sadly the internet is also filled with alot of misconceptions.  I just wanted everyone to have the best possible answers to the questions that many of you are thinking.   I'm glad everyone appreciates the info.  That is really why I went to pharmacy school in the first place.  To help people...be it my patients at work, my close friends or family, or a group of individuals, whom I enjoy interacting with , on a hockey forum such as this.  I'm glad I can help in this regard. 

Howdy:

It is time for soul-searching on his part and for teammates to help his exit along by reminding of what others have said here-his life and family come first.

By the way, flying is bad for DVT and clots, let alone body contact. A year of flying adds to the risks he faces.

Best,

Howie

• 3 weeks later...

@AJgoal

Well that sucks!!!  Thanks for ruining my day.

I'm glad they caught it and now know what they're dealing with.  It could have been fatal if they didn't catch it.

It'll be interesting to see what the Flyers say about this.....

I mean as I see it, the guy had been contemplating retirement for a few years now.  It seems like Hexy talked him into staying another year as a stop gap/mentorship kind of thing.

It would have been better for us to send him off in style with the sort of Kimmo Night he deserves and lots of appreciation from the fans, teammates and opponents in his last games.

If he can fly back here again some day I'm sure we'll give him all we've got.  Other than that, this should be treatable

This team's defense however is a different matter and essentially it makes this talk of trading Coburn utterly ridiculous (unless of course he's packaged for an A-List D-man superstar but even then we're still short a decent D man).

Damn. Not a good diagnosis for him, but at least it seems treatable.

http://www.letsgoflyers.net/2014/08/25/kimmo-timonens-bleak-diagnosis/

Archived