Update: Flyers sign Del Zotto

Mario99

bargain price IMO.  Time to put up or shut up for Del Zotto.  Plus it is only a 1 yr deal.  Hey Del Zotto....consider this a 1 yr try out if you want to remain in the NHL.  Maybe this will wake him up and he show signs of promise like he did a few years ago.

• Like 4

It's a good move. Del Zotto is given his prove it opportunity and he's said that he wants to report in the best shape of his career to whatever team signs him. Of note, Del Zotto has been spending training time in London. Where he works out, I drive by the facility every day and he's looked fantastic. He appears to be in top notch physical shape and he's been really busting it. I work at 7 every day and he's been there before 7 and when I get home at night (I'm done at 3:30), he's usually leaving the facility. I think he understands this is his last chance and that much like Mason, he's going to make the most of it. If he plays 18 to 19 minutes, puts up 30 to 35 points and plays passable defense, that's a win.

• Like 1

This is a low risk , high reward potentially for us.. Timmo is out, we need a skating dman, so DZ will get lots of PP time and a good amount of ice time. Del Zotto has lots of skill, and it's do or die for him. So if that doesn't motivate him nothing will. If he pans out its great for us, if not then its one and done.

• Like 2

I've been harping on this guy more than anyone on the site, but honestly, for the length and price AND considering Kimo is out indefinately with the blood clot situation, this is a solid move. I don't think the Flyers had anyone who could potentially step in and provide even close to the skill set that Kimo provides. Hagg is proabably the only one, and it's to soon to put that kind of pressure on him, that would be unfair. So....I'm ok with this, it makes sense. If he flops, it's low risk for one year. He could potentially turn this around and become very useful also....nice risk/reward ratio for us.

Only on the net can you get real life updates on how he looks and work out times etc....hilarious. Thanks for that BobbyCF.

Another bright spot, all the people itching to get on MacDonald may automatically have a new whipping boy, so there is that....LOL!

• Like 2

Ok ... next important question.... 

Who do you pair him with?   Coburn, Streit, god i say it....L. Schenn.....MacDonald?

That's probably going to be trial-and-error type of thing. At this point it's all on DelZotto.  He wanted another opportunity to prove to the world he is a legit d-man in this league.  Well, he got it. He will begin with a clean slate. 

For one year, and for this price, it's a solid move by Hexy.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2

Ok ... next important question.... 

Who do you pair him with?   Coburn, Streit, god i say it....L. Schenn.....MacDonald?

That is a good question, it *has* to be someone who is defensively responible that is not MacDonald....you don't break up Luke and MacDaddy, they fit to well together. I'd say Coburn is a possibility.

Everyone responded too damm fast! ;)

Here is what I have:

Del Zotto / Coburn

Grossman / Streit

MacDonald / L. Schenn

7th D-man: Schultz

agree..really do not want to break apart MacDaddy and Schenn......

Coburn for as much as we bietch about him is probably the best choice, IMO

• Like 1

From what I've read DZ is generally considered a waste by the Rangers and the Preds. I curious about all the enthused responses

Because he can run a top pp....that particular skill set is hard to find, IMPOSSIBLE at 1.3 mill per year, so Hexy actually pulled off a nice little fly by the seat of your pants type of thing. He reacted quickly and found a replacement for Kimo, very nice move by Hexy.

• Like 2

Because he can run a top pp....that particular skill set is hard to find, IMPOSSIBLE at 1.3 mill per year, so Hexy actually pulled off a nice little fly by the seat of your pants type of thing. He reacted quickly and found a replacement for Kimo, very nice move by Hexy.

@

the 1 yr contract at 1.3 million is brilliant!   Kimmo was 1 yr at 2 million.  700,000 saving at a low cost ...high reward.  Can't complain about the signing.

Now homer would have thrown in a NMC clause.... :ph34r:

Serioulsy...if he works out..the Flyers extend him next year....if not they drop him like a lead brick.  At least least it gives the youngsters another year to develop without rushinig them.

pair him with a stay at home partner and let just be himself. the kid was great as a 20 year old a few years ago before he got messed up, first by Fonzy then by Vignault and his defense first scheme, then traded to the ultimate defense first coach in Trotz. Just let him move the puck and do his thing. I am so mad the Wings didn't sign him.

pair him with a stay at home partner and let just be himself. the kid was great as a 20 year old a few years ago before he got messed up, first by Fonzy then by Vignault and his defense first scheme, then traded to the ultimate defense first coach in Trotz. Just let him move the puck and do his thing. I am so mad the Wings didn't sign him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Del Zotto was waiting for an opportunity to play top 6 minutes, rather than signing on with a team he knew he would be the 7th d-man.  

• Like 1