Hockey-Reference dot com

jammer2

A good site for player sweater numbers and lots of other stuff...

(originally posted by pilldoc in the Flyers references) - moved conversation to this thread.

http://www.hockey-re...HI/numbers.html

@pilldoc  Nice find doc!!   I always remembered Reggie (the rifle) Leach as #27, but your site has him listed as #5 for the 1975 season??  Anyone remember why he switched for that year, I don't even think it was the full year....can't recall this at all.

I've always thought Reggie's #27 should have been retired. He's a member of our best line ever, the LCB line. While Barber and Clarke were more prolific than Reggie pts wise, he was a huge force during our cup winning days. His best year in 75 he had 61 goals and 93 pts. He scored 50 goals twice and had a 45 goal year also. He was a HUGE part of our Cup winning offense.

The only non goalie to win the Conn Smythe in a losing effort. His 19 goals in the 75 playoffs was tied by Kurri, but Leach played 3 less games than Kurri in his run. This is a league wide record that no one...not even Mario or Wayne could surpass!!!  27 should be in the rafters, even though he only had 666 pts in over 900 games.....Reggie deserves this honour!!!

Edited by hf101
moved posts to topic
  • Like 2

@jammer2

Thanks. RE: Leach and retiring his number, you know I have often wondered that myself.  Everyone talks about the LCB line.  Granted I was just a small kiddo at the time, but yeah i agree he was just as important in winning the cup.  then they could become the 3rd ever scoring line to have their collective #'s retired. (see my other post regarding that).

Yeah it was truly an accident I stumbled upon it.  It is great for players that played on other teams before coming to the Flyers and see the different #'s they wore along with a whole hose of info.  It will come in handy during in game chats among other things.  There is just soooo much info there it is insane. Like how many people knew that Giroux wore # 56 for 1 season before switching to #28.  i didn't..... Plus it tells you cap hit info for the upcoming year along with a a link to capgeek....i can go on an on.  Also it has all the teams from the NHL/WHL and the historical name changes for each team.  This is going to become one of my favorite reference sites.

Trivia Question time.......

Name the only city that had both their NHL team and MLB teams with the same name?

Edited by pilldoc

yes at different times AND the Pittsburgh Pirates.  Pittsburg had an NHL team in the mid 1920's along with the MLB of the same name.

The Steelers wee originally called the "Pirates" from 1933 to 1940, too.  I'm just happy all of our teams are black and gold.

I don't know how you guys deal with green/silver, red/white/blue, orange/black and red/maroon/blue/light blue.

The Steelers wee originally called the "Pirates" from 1933 to 1940, too.  I'm just happy all of our teams are black and gold.

I don't know how you guys deal with green/silver, red/white/blue, orange/black and red/maroon/blue/light blue.

really...huh...learn something new everyday

I'm totally biased of course, but black and gold is disgusting. Pink is more manly.   :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I love hockeyreference.com, my favorite feature is when checking individual players, you can compare them to the ten most similar statistically. It is a fun way of seeing if someone deserves consideration as a HOFer for instance, i wrote about Martin St. Louis a lot earlier today, of his ten best comps for his career include Jean Beliveau, Datsyuk, Daniel Sedin, Lafontaine and Forsberg so he is in damn good company and the argument in his favor is helped by his comps, but he also has a Ziggy Palffy and Markus Naslund on the list, very good players who are certainly not elite by any standard, so that has to weigh in as well. It is stuff like that that makes me go to the website whenever i am researching a player, the comparisons and the voting for awards is listed for each player as well as well as all of their top ten or so finishes in a specific category. Lots of info, lots of fun for a geek like me.