Ekblad Concussed in Exhibition

AJgoal

See, if I was the coach/GM, I'd require it. I abhor special treatment for individuals on teams. Come to camp. Learn to play with your teammates. If you can't be bothered, then I'll find someone else.

What a way to start your career.  Just curious..did he have any concussion issues in juniors? 

'Hockey Canada says Ekblad is expected to be ready for Florida Panthers training camp in September. Panthers general manager Dale Tallon echoed those sentiments, saying "We will closely monitor Aaron's health for the remainder of the offseason and expect him to be ready for our rookie camp in mid-September."

Again...just curious ..aren't there protocols set in place for these types of incidents?

See, if I was the coach/GM, I'd require it. I abhor special treatment for individuals on teams. Come to camp. Learn to play with your teammates. If you can't be bothered, then I'll find someone else.

I can't say I disagree with most players. But there are going to be one or two guys who,if available, are sure thing 100% positively absolutely on the team. Ekblad is one of them. He's got the size, skillset, hockey smarts and maturity of an NHLer. If that isn't a surething on a junior team nothing is. Theres only 2 things that could stop him from playing on that team...the Florida Panthers, and a concussion.

• Like 1

What a way to start your career.  Just curious..did he have any concussion issues in juniors? 

'Hockey Canada says Ekblad is expected to be ready for Florida Panthers training camp in September. Panthers general manager Dale Tallon echoed those sentiments, saying "We will closely monitor Aaron's health for the remainder of the offseason and expect him to be ready for our rookie camp in mid-September."

Again...just curious ..aren't there protocols set in place for these types of incidents?

No previous concussions doc.

@flyercanuck  I don't think Exblad should have been there either. It's all about what is best for Team Canada. At this time last year, nobody knew who Sanheim was, there is kids shooting up the charts all the time, especially d-men in Canada. My worry is a kid does not get a look cause a sure thing like Exblad is out there taking a shift/spot where some else can shine. We already know what Exblad can do, he will be the captain if he somehow is allowed to play for Team Canada.

Of course, the other factor is the chances of Exblad being allowed to play for Team Canada are slim to none. He will be one of Florida's better rearguards next year, and I just can't see the Panthers allowing one of the more solid players on their roster to go play in that tourny. Aaron is to important to the future of the Panthers. If he was allowed to play for Team Canada and he sustained another concussion it could be a career killer for Tallon, you don't mess up a #1 pick....or contribute to anything negative. It's an unnecessary risk for a franchise type player.

See, and as a coach, I don't care that he's one hundred percent, can't miss making the team. You're here for camp or you're not on the team. No matter how good you are. I'd have left Gretzky off team Canada if he skipped camp. But I'm sure that's just me.

@jammer2

Of course, Ekblad has every bit as good a chance (if not better) of getting concussed playing for the Panthers.

True enough, but at least it's on their watch. The Panthers are saying all the right things "we expect him to be ready for camp" etc....but they have to be shitting themselves with this concussion!!

• Like 1