GM Ron Hextall sat down with Steve Coates to break down the ‪#‎Flyers‬ roster, position by

Irishjim

Significant fluff levels but I did like it when he seemingly ruled out the possibility of trading for a #1D. He said "we're going to groom that guy". Didn't mention who "that guy" is but it's encouraging to at least hear the GM speak confidently about his team's prospects.

• Like 2

Well, as far as goaltending goes, he seems to feel 'don't fix what isn't broken' in regards to how well Emery fit in conjunction with Steve Mason.

Obviously, Mason is "the guy", but if Emery is, as Hextall seems to feel, the "right" guy to back him up (doing stuff off ice and behind the scenes that fans don't really see), then you can't blame him for keeping Emery on instead of going for an unknown, in lieu of any SIGNIFICANT upgrade in backup goaltending that may have been available.....despite Emery's actual on ice deficiencies.

The defense he addressed, yea, looks like he definitely put a positive spin on the group Philly has, but then, that is his job.

I think he has done the best he can given how hampered he currently is with finances, cap, and personnel.

That said, it is actually refreshing to hear a Flyer GM actually even ENTERTAIN the idea of 'grooming their own number 1'....rather than trying to pluck one from somewhere else.

If there was one ready and available, AND it didn't create additional holes in the overall roster, I am sure he would go for one...but there isn't right now, he can't so he and the team will make due with what they have.

And I will be honest, the Philly defense, while far from ideal, IS filled with some veterans who SHOULD understand the game better than what they have shown.

And really, I think it will just come down to working together as a group.

Even with guys who fall short in certain areas, the sum CAN be greater than the individual parts if they just learn to work as a unit and understand each other's tendencies on the ice.

Add to that the younger D-men with, as was said in the video, "upside", and there is no reason to think that, while this group may struggle defensively, they can't transform themselves into a decent cohesive unit over the course of 82 games.

The forward group always has been, and will be again, this team's strong suit.

I know the whole VLC thing and where he fits will linger, but if the forwards can play Flyer hockey and keep the puck mostly in the offensive zone (even if they aren't scoring), it takes a lot of weight off the defense, and even Ray Emery if he happens to be in net that night.

And who knows, the VLC thing may just work itself out in the sense that this will be Vinnie's 2nd year with the Flyers.

If he had any remnants of "missing home" or missing the only team he's ever known, well, he got his wake-up call this past season.

If he is the pro I believe him to be and if he is indeed destined to stay on the Flyers, then I think, barring serious injury, one can expect his production and comfort level on the team to be much better than last year......and that in turn, could mean the Flyers HAVE found their #2 Center, and all the other forward positions can then be placed accordingly.

Lots of ifs, but if I am a Flyers fan, I am certainly happy that GM Hextall is trying to make the best out of the hand he has dealt to him...and doing what he can, even in small increments, to rectify some of the hideous maneuvers of the previous administration.

Stevie Y in Tampa was widely criticized for some of this moves when he first took the reigns of the Lightning FO GM position...yet he stuck to his guns, continued his long term plans, now some are calling him a good GM or even 'Genius', depending on who you ask.

Well, I have watched what he has been doing with an open mind, and I felt all along that despite the mess in TB he was first handed, he could turn things around...and he has.

I think Ron Hextall has that same capability. NO one is going to tell that guy how to run the team from the GM position...and if Flyer ownership is smart, they will let him continue to do what he does.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

Ok here is my take:

Mason / Emery: Mason show great things last year and has an enormous upside.  Going into FA, unless it was a huge upgrade, they where going back to Emery since he has a good locker room presence and is a good mentor to Mason.  Personally I get the mentoring part for Mason, but honestly I thought there were better potential FA for backup goalie.  However, most of those FA's were  looking for an eventual starting job.  It appears that Emery is comfortable being backup.

Defense:  agreed that they are missing a "true #1" d-man.  However, not willing to trade for one.  Wants to groom the young kids we have now.  Like @JackStraw said, Hexy did not specifically mention who his potential #1 d-man is.  Now here is where some of the fluff comes in.  Hexy says he likes the defense and that is good defense with both good puck handling and defensive guys.  Who?  My first question is when was this video made? Before or after the Kimmo crisis?  If MDZ holds up he has the potential to be that puck moving d-man.  I think the defense has some legitimate concerns.  He says they have good leadership and PP guys.  Again, when was this video taped.  Yes with Kimmo they have veteran leadership and someone who can QB the PP.  Where does the leadership come from now?  Coburn?  Grossman?  What about the PP.  Does MDZ move in and fill that role along with Streit?

Forwards:  He likes that is a good young group with a very good upside.  Many still have not reached their potential.  Also likes the fact that there are some good young players in the AHL who are ready to emerge.  The main question that Coatsy asked was "What do they still need?" Hexy's answer, and it should come to no surprise to any of us, .....one more playmaker up front.  Most on here have been saying that for months now. 

it is a short video.  Main take home point.....it looks like Hexy is standing firm on the no more trading of our prospects/young guys.  They are going to develop players from within the system.

Once caveat.....I want to know when this was video taped?  Before or after the Kimmo crisis.  With Kimmo gone for the season, it certainly raises alot more questions on defense.

Well, as far as goaltending goes, he seems to feel 'don't fix what isn't broken' in regards to how well Emery fit in conjunction with Steve Mason.

Obviously, Mason is "the guy", but if Emery is, as Hextall seems to feel, the "right" guy to back him up (doing stuff off ice and behind the scenes that fans don't really see), then you can't blame him for keeping Emery on instead of going for an unknown, in lieu of any SIGNIFICANT upgrade in backup goaltending that may have been available.....despite Emery's actual on ice deficiencies.

The defense he addressed, yea, looks like he definitely put a positive spin on the group Philly has, but then, that is his job.

I think he has done the best he can given how hampered he currently is with finances, cap, and personnel.

That said, it is actually refreshing to hear a Flyer GM actually even ENTERTAIN the idea of 'grooming their own number 1'....rather than trying to pluck one from somewhere else.

If there was one ready and available, AND it didn't create additional holes in the overall roster, I am sure he would go for one...but there isn't right now, he can't so he and the team will make due with what they have.

And I will be honest, the Philly defense, while far from ideal, IS filled with some veterans who SHOULD understand the game better than what they have shown.

And really, I think it will just come down to working together as a group.

Even with guys who fall short in certain areas, the sum CAN be greater than the individual parts if they just learn to work as a unit and understand each other's tendencies on the ice.

Add to that the younger D-men with, as was said in the video, "upside", and there is no reason to think that, while this group may struggle defensively, they can't transform themselves into a decent cohesive unit over the course of 82 games.

The forward group always has been, and will be again, this team's strong suit.

I know the whole VLC thing and where he fits will linger, but if the forwards can play Flyer hockey and keep the puck mostly in the offensive zone (even if they aren't scoring), it takes a lot of weight off the defense, and even Ray Emery if he happens to be in net that night.

And who knows, the VLC may just work itself out in the sense that this will be Vinnie's 2nd year with the Flyers.

If he had any remnants of "missing home" or missing the only team he's ever known, well, he got his wake-up call this past season.

If he is the pro I believe him to be and if he is indeed destined to stay on the Flyers, then I think, barring serious injury, one can expect his production and comfort level on the team to be much better than last year......and that in turn, could mean the Flyers HAVE found their #2 Center, and all the other forward positions can then be placed accordingly.

Lots of ifs, but if I am a Flyers fan, I am certainly happy that GM Hextall is trying to make the best out of the hand he has dealt to him...and doing what he can, even in small increments, to rectify some of the hideous maneuvers of the previous administration.

Stevie Y in Tampa was widely criticized for some of this moves when he first took the reigns of the Lightning FO GM position...yet he stuck to his guns, continued his long term plans, now some are calling him a good GM or even 'Genius', depending on who you ask.

Well, I have watched what he has been doing with an open mind, and I felt all along that despite the mess in TB he was first handed, he could turn things around...and he has.

I think Ron Hextall has that same capability. NO one is going to tell that guy how to run the team from the GM position...and if Flyer ownership is smart, they will let him continue to do what he does.

Great synopsis..you pretty much hit all the points I was making.  You just hit the enter post button faster than me. ;)  Again, my main sticking point is when was this segment taped? Before or after Kimmo done for the season?  With Kimmo in there it certainly will make this defensive unit a bit stronger.  without him, I think they are tad weaker.  The x-factor to this defense is two fold. 1) how does MDZ play into this group.  Does he play up to his potential or is it a 1 and done year for him? 2) Who steps up at the leader of this defensive unit?  Coburn? Streit? MacDaddy, Grossman (omg ..did I just type that :P )  Another x-factor is how do any of the young kids, if any of them at all, make an impact?  Alt? Lauridsen?  I think most on here have agreed to a small point that that Ghost, Haag, Morin, Sanheim will, for the most part remain either in juniors or the AHL.

Agree that Hexy has to at least say the right things, but if he sticks to his guns. this defense in 2-3 years could be a defense to be reckoned with.  Agree on the point you made, that none of the defensive prospects i mentioned are considered true #1 d-men prospects.  Not saying they could develop someday to that potential, but as it stands now, that is what the #1 question will remain with this this team.

Vinny is a whole another problem.  Hexy IMO is doing wonderful all things considered how bad our former GM screwed things up for him.