I saw an Eklund tweet about Oilers looking at Coburn, please be true

Mario99

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny; Coburn doesn't excite me but with the depleted-"uber-journeymen" group we start the season with, his departure would be significant.  We can't put the youngins in too early; Adirondack isn't stacked.  Eklund's rumors may or may not be worth much.  

Howie

With Timmo gone and probably for good , like it or not ,Coburn is now our best all around defenseman. I cant see him being traded in the offseason, if we are out of the playoff race at the deadline, then I can see it ,but only for an inflated price when playoff bound teams are overpaying to make a run. Even if all our young defenseman are NHL ready next year, do you honestly think we are gonna go with 2-3 rookies on defense with Grossman, McD, Streit and Schenn. We would probably set a record for most goals given up in NHL history. Young defenseman have to be broken in slowly and paired with a solid veteran. Our prospects are good, but we didn't draft Bobby Orr and Dennis Potivin. These guys wont make an impact for several years.

Moving Coburn would significantly downgrade an already struggling defense. With Kimo gone, if you subtract Coburn also....it's a death blow to our playoff chances. I would move Coburn, but only if it meant acquiring a stud like Nurse. Something like Coburn/1st next year/Cousins (they need young centers) for Nurse...it would hurt in the short run...but in the long run...we make out like bandits. Nurse is can't miss because of his exceptional skating. Only question is how much offense he can contribute....but he WILL be a snarly, mean beast of a d-man...I guarantee that much.

Moving Coburn would significantly downgrade an already struggling defense. With Kimo gone, if you subtract Coburn also....it's a death blow to our playoff chances. I would move Coburn, but only if it meant acquiring a stud like Nurse. Something like Coburn/1st next year/Cousins (they need young centers) for Nurse...it would hurt in the short run...but in the long run...we make out like bandits. Nurse is can't miss because of his exceptional skating. Only question is how much offense he can contribute....but he WILL be a snarly, mean beast of a d-man...I guarantee that much.

now if MDZ can play defensively and contribute offensively..would Nurse be required to contribute offensively?   Now the question is does Edm pull the trigger on that deal? Agree with FC ... sounds like a bit overpayment.

Moving Coburn would significantly downgrade an already struggling defense

I agree Jammer as much as i bust his balls i just want him to play to potential.....which he does at times but all he needs to do is concentrate on being consistent.

Because in reality even as good as he skates he is really just a nice mobile stay at home defenseman, he just gets in trouble sometimes when he tries to do to much and play outside of his comfort zone.

I would not want to move him because without him i can't see them having a shot at the playoffs. 

@jammer2

Coburn AND our 1st AND a prospect....for a prospect? 

Pass from me. I like Nurse, but that's gross overpayment.

I read a lot of posters last spring with the mindset that Coburn is equal value for Nurse. Even taking into account how valuable experienced d-men are, Nurse is worth A LOT more than Coburn. It would definitely take our 1st and Coburn, the prospect can be a mid level type ....but Nurse is SPECIAL. It's not an overpayment. The kid is gonna be a star, I guarantee-dam-tee it. I just don't know how much offense he will eventually provide, but to get in the fold for the next 12-14 years....I would LOVE it!!!  That is how you start to build a championship defense, with guys like Nurse.

Nurse would finish this young crop of studs we are building back there, we could draft forwards for the next 4 years...lol. Nurse would be like the cherry on top, give us the best young crop of d-men in the NHL...no questions asked.

I read a lot of posters last spring with the mindset that Coburn is equal value for Nurse. Even taking into account how valuable experienced d-men are, Nurse is worth A LOT more than Coburn. It would definitely take our 1st and Coburn, the prospect can be a mid level type ....but Nurse is SPECIAL. It's not an overpayment. The kid is gonna be a star, I guarantee-dam-tee it. I just don't know how much offense he will eventually provide, but to get in the fold for the next 12-14 years....I would LOVE it!!!  That is how you start to build a championship defense, with guys like Nurse.

Nurse would finish this young crop of studs we are building back there, we could draft forwards for the next 4 years...lol. Nurse would be like the cherry on top, give us the best young crop of d-men in the NHL...no questions asked.

ok even if we all were in agreement with this...the question remains....would Edm pull the trigger?  Could Nurse project out to a top D-man pairing in your opinion?

@pilldoc   Yes, Nurse projects to be a top pairing d-man. He skates like the wind (actually, his skating style reminds me a lot of Sanheim's....both are extremely fast with wickedly powerful strides), is super nasty and super physical. Personally I think the offensive part of his game will translate well to the NHL (eventually)....I think he will be a 50-60 point d-man when it's all said and done, and will be a top tier pp qb.

The big question...why would the Oilers trade him if he is that good? Well, there is a big win now attitude going on with Edmonton right now. Perhaps the temptation of getting a top pairing d-man right now....and build for the future with another 1st and a mid level center (they are STARVED for centers, Cousins would be a nice get for them) would be to much for them to pass up....and yes, Edmonton would be one of the very few teams where Coburn would be a 1st pairing guy like he is in Philly, it's sad actually.....lol. The pressure to win now may make them partially abandon their slow build. It is possible....and if it is, we should be ALL OVER THIS DEAL!!!

@pilldoc   Yes, Nurse projects to be a top pairing d-man. He skates like the wind (actually, his skating style reminds me a lot of Sanheim's....both are extremely fast with wickedly powerful strides), is super nasty and super physical. Personally I think the offensive part of his game will translate well to the NHL (eventually)....I think he will be a 50-60 point d-man when it's all said and done, and will be a top tier pp qb.

The big question...why would the Oilers trade him if he is that good? Well, there is a big win now attitude going on with Edmonton right now. Perhaps the temptation of getting a top pairing d-man right now....and build for the future with another 1st and a mid level center (they are STARVED for centers, Cousins would be a nice get for them)....and yes, Edmonton would be one of the very few teams where Coburn would be a 1st pairing guy like he is in Philly, it's sad actually.....lol. The pressure to win now may make them partially abandon their slow build. It is possible....and if it is, we should be ALL OVER THIS DEAL!!!

very interesting...then this could be a way of acquiring a top d-man prospect.  In your opinion, what is he worth and what would you give up for him?

If Edm say wanted Coots or Laugton do you give either one of them up for Nurse?  Coburn / 1st / Cousins or Laughton or Coots.  Could we throw Vinny there way too? :D

@jammer2

ok...I'm gonna dream here...trade for Nurse.....then in a few years our defense will have:

Nurse

Ghost

Morin

Haag

Sanheim

Alt

That could do some serious damage.....  (ok back to reality)

I  was running those names through my head also....what a group that would be!!!

@pilldoc  See, this is what scares me about a potential Edmonton deal, they are so center starved, they may push for us to give up Coots or Laughts. As much as I'd love to have Nurse on the team, I'm dead against dealing either one of those guys. We don't know how much offense Coots will eventually provide (although his upside is a lot more than people currently think I believe) and Laugts I believe Laughts will be a star, I'm opposed to giving either one of them up, any potential EDM deal has to have those two left out. When you have a guy as talented as Laughton, you just don't deal him, no idea how good this guy will be...could very well be another Sharp type of deal...who knows?

Or, Nurse could end up like Coburn: very good, but under appreciated due to never reaching full potential.

How many years away is Nurse anyway? And, do you honestly think McNabb gave a positive review of Philly?

The Flyers have defenseman in the pipeline. If you're going to dream, try to make it a sniper LW.

@pilldoc  See, this is what scares me about a potential Edmonton deal, they are so center starved, they may push for us to give up Coots or Laughts. As much as I'd love to have Nurse on the team, I'm dead against dealing either one of those guys. We don't know how much offense Coots will eventually provide (although his upside is a lot more than people currently think I believe) and Laugts I believe Laughts will be a star, I'm opposed to giving either one of them up, any potential EDM deal has to have those two left out. When you have a guy as talented as Laughton, you just don't deal him, no idea how good this guy will be...could very well be another Sharp type of deal...who knows?

Agree with all you said.....I know I personally don't want to give up Laughton or Coots, but like you said I'm afraid Edm will drive up the price.  I guess I'm ok with Coburn and Cousins and maybe a draft pick, but I know Hexy said he wanrts to hand onto draft picks.  So......does Coburn and Cousins get it done?  I don't think so.

Or, Nurse could end up like Coburn: very good, but under appreciated due to never reaching full potential.

He skates better than Coburn, his shot is 100 times better than Coburn....he has an absolute rocket!  The other thing is the mean streak, he's WAY meaner in his sleep than Coburn could ever be awake. This dude likes to hurt people, pure and simple.

How many years away is Nurse anyway?

I believe this coming season will be his rookie year. He's ready.

"We have defensemen in the pipeline, if you are going to dream, try to make it a LW sniper"

This is a tough call, but as talented as our crop of young d-men are, the only one with real "top pairing" potential is Sanheim. Sure, maybe Hagg or Morin progress and move into that slot, that is certainly possible, but Nurse, he has top pairing written all over him, and our current group is lacking in that department. We are still missing that Pietrangelo type of guy....maybe Sanheim becomes that and no, I don't think Nurse is as good, or will be as good as Pietrangelo, but when you put all of his skills together, he reminds me an awful lot of Pronger. You hear Pronger refernces far to often, they put that tag on every young tough d man who shows some offensive achumen.....but honestly, it fits here, it really does. When you have a chance to go get a young Pronger clone, you go get him, you don't talk about LW's.

He skates better than Coburn, his shot is 100 times better than Coburn....he has an absolute rocket!  The other thing is the mean streak, he's WAY meaner in his sleep than Coburn could ever be awake. This dude likes to hurt people, pure and simple.

sounds like a young Pronger..... :)

Archived