I saw an Eklund tweet about Oilers looking at Coburn, please be true

Mario99

As did Morin last year.

There is no doubt, both Morin and Nurse have a natural mean streak. They are both nasty customers. The big difference is the skating and offensive upside. Would be GREAT to have them both on the same team....then in the future, both the 1st and 2nd pairings have a beast who is super tough to play against....that is a great start to a championship defense....super tough as nails battlers...a nightmare match up for opposing coaches.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@aziz  The guy makes some valid comments, but it's hard to take someone serious who counts Aullie as a guaranteed roster spot. What has that guy ever shown, big size with no skating and no hitting, basically making a living off of his potential, which...despite years of waiting has never materialized.

When Coburn was brought in, he was a "Steal". He was highly touted and a future stud. Now, many can't get rid of him fast enough. How funny that some of the same hype Coburn got is closely related to the HYPE others are now getting. I also find it interesting that it is a prime arguing point that d-men develop later in their careers, and should be waited out. However, the Flyers should trade this once future corner stone for a prospect who is a future ________ ?

Coburn AND our 1st AND a prospect....for a prospect?
Pass from me. I like Nurse, but that's gross overpayment.

This trade confused me... where is the second rounder?

If the Flyers don't make the playoffs this year, that 1st is going to be decent, and yes, that seems like overpayment for a prospect, even one such as Nurse.  But the idea of a young defensive core like that is very intriguing.

@TedZep   Anything can happen in a long season, but barring a Mason injury, I just can't see the Flyers missing the playoffs this coming year. Putting things into perspective, we really should have beat the Eastern Conference Champs in our 1st round match up....had Mason not missed 3 games out of the 7, we would have beat them, I just know it. Based on those findings, I just assume we will make the playoffs, although the Isles missed last year and I expect them to certainly become a playoff team, so there will be some falling and gaining in our specific division. Thus, I expect the Flyers first rounder to be middle range worst, in the top 5-7 (32-27 ish) at best, so I don't plan on that being a super valuable commodity...but again, of course, anything can happen, just going by playoff results and who picked up what etc...

This trade confused me... where is the second rounder?

If the Flyers don't make the playoffs this year, that 1st is going to be decent, and yes, that seems like overpayment for a prospect, even one such as Nurse.  But the idea of a young defensive core like that is very intriguing.

That never gets old!

@jammer2

This upcoming draft, from what most people are saying, will likely run about 20 deep in top quality prospects. 

So I've heard, I don't think the Flyers will be picking in the top 20, but I'm sure there will be quality available after that, where ever they pick, there will be talent there for the taking. I'd still my proposed Nurse deal, but it looks like I value Darnell more than most here, and that's ok.

@jammer2

I wanted Nurse back in that draft. he was my "realistic " pick while the season was on...I figured Philly wasn't bad enough to get Mac/Drouin etc, but would still pick top ten. Then we had that run...oh well. 

I just don't see the point of giving up our best defenceman (which will make us worse this year) for a prospect and then throw in our 1st in what's supposed to be a deep draft. Losing Timonen is going to be a step back IMO, even if it's a small one. Losing him and Coburn and we could just as easily be picking top ten as making the playoffs.

@flyercanuck  I'd be willing to sacrifice the season for the long term gain of having Nurse back there. It's one thing to be a fast and efficient skater, it's quite another to be a beast who loves to hurt people while having that skill set. That makes Nurse special. He has the kind of moxy you need when trying to put together a championship defense. I love what we have done so far, Nurse would just finish the process. As good as our prospects are back on defense, we still are short of the sure fire #1 play in all situations stud that we have been missing since Mark Howe retired. Nurse has that kinda skill set, to go with his nasty disposition. I'd give up quite a lot to secure that. I think a lot of posters are overvaluing Coburn here, he would be a 2nd or maybe even 3rd pairing guy on any other defense. Giving up that and a 20 something pick for a star like Nurse is a no brainier from where I sit.

@jammer2

Like I said....you give up Coburn and you may be picking a lot higher than 20th. We already lost Kimmo, that's our two best defencemen in one offseason...whether he's a #1, 2 or 3 he's still our best. We could end up out of the playoffs and we're now a lottery team. It'd be just our luck to trade Coburn and Connor McDavid for Darnell Nurse, who ends up being Braydon Coburn with a temper.

Darnell Nurse, who ends up being Braydon Coburn with a temper.

Since you put it that way, that I might be more willing to trade for!

Coburn with some snarl would at least make me forget about Coburn without a clue for awhile

Coburn with some snarl would at least make me forget about Coburn without a clue for awhile

He is quite frustrating to watch game in and game out. I swear, the moment he enters the offensive zone, he is dead from the neck on up from that point!  I'm sure he has at least tried to improve his side to side movement, but he might be the worst d-man in the league for that particular skill. He could not open up a passing lane with his side to side movement if his life depended on it. He might as well just shoot into the opposing forwards shin pads and get it over with.....ha ha.

I swear, the moment he enters the offensive zone, he is dead from the neck on up from that point!  I'm sure he has at least tried to improve his side to side movement, but he might be the worst d-man in the league for that particular skill. He could not open up a passing lane with his side to side movement if his life depended on it. He might as well just shoot into the opposing forwards shin pads and get it over with.....ha ha.

Yup. Coburn would be my prime example, if I was looking to demonstrate to someone, say someone not that familiar with hockey, that this thing called "hockey IQ" cannot be taught or learned. You either have it from an early age or you don't. Or maybe it's vision. Same story.

I know this, and yet every year I keep waiting for that "A-HA!" moment for BC. Alas, it never comes.

I know this, and yet every year I keep waiting for that "A-HA!" moment for BC. Alas, it never comes.

You've got a better chance of the Red headed Wendy's beast becoming a normal contributing part of society!!  This new pretzel bun sing-a-long is just a travesty of monumental proportions!!

@jammer2

@flyercanuck

I know I too am in the minority by agreeing with Jammer.  Nurse has been projected to be a #1 line d-man.  Yeah, that would give us all young guys and certainly out of the playoffs, but realistically, this team is still a solid 2 yrs away from making a cup run.

We would finally have a #1 d-man that we all want and Hexy admits what this team is lacking.  Sadly you have to give to get.  However, by acquiring Nurse, this team would be set at defense for years to come,  I admit it is a tough decision to make. 

You've got a better chance of the Red headed Wendy's beast becoming a normal contributing part of society!!  This new pretzel bun sing-a-long is just a travesty of monumental proportions!!

Agreed. We should launch a class-action suit for damages. Of the PTSD kind.

Agreed. We should launch a class-action suit for damages. Of the PTSD kind.

I get seething mad just fast forwarding that piece of crap. It's so bad, that I no longer even watch Sportsnet, which literally shows it every 2nd commercial.

@jammer2

@flyercanuck

However, by acquiring Nurse, this team would be set at defense for years to come, I admit it is a tough decision to make.

assuming he develops according to projections and doesn't go the same way as berard or redden or Phillips or zyuzin or Allen or klesla or pitkanen or barker or Johnson or the other Johnson or hickey or... Any of the other hundred prospects who were "can't miss" until they missed.

Aki Berg is maybe particularly relevant. Leading up to the draft, the king's GM said he skated like Paul Coffey and hit like Scott Stevens. He was going to be an absolute force at both ends of the ice. Turned out, though, that he was Aki Berg. Which rhymes with "meh".

Hype until it isn't, and you don't send key pieces away for hype.

Archived