I saw an Eklund tweet about Oilers looking at Coburn, please be true

Mario99

The Onus is on them (EDM ) to make an exciting trade package not the other way around. 

Yeah, at a time when our D is already suspect, while we wait for the young'uns to develop, it makes no sense to trade a vet like Coburn unless it's for good stuff and picks coming back our way for once.

So, just for sh!ts and giggles, let us look at what EDM might have to offer (plus picks):

- Eberle? - Cap hit differential: $1.5M ($6M vs $4.5M for Coburn)

-Yakupov? - yuckipov

- Klefbom? - unproven (obvsiously), but pair him with Hagg for a Swedish gruesome twosome

- Anton Lander? - we already have enough Centers

- Phlip Larsen? - an interesting D prospect who is NHL-ready. Swiss. Do we need want another Swiss D-man?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@pilldoc

i'm not at all familiar with the Oil , I know they've picked first a lot lately so there should be some talent on the roster.

Realistically if i'm the GM in Edmonton, i look at where I think I have an abundance of good hockey players and start there, do I have some wing players that are being blocked by Hall , Eberle and Yakupov ?  

A good trade helps both teams, the Flyers IMO are still needing a good player to play with G and Jake, Do the Oil have a kid in the system that can make hay in that circumstance ?  

that's what I'd try to do, There are plenty of talented young defensemen on the Oil's roster too maybe a prospect, not Nurse , and a pick for Coburn. ? 

honestly I don't know what it would take to make a deal twixt those teams.  

I do think Coburn plus Laughton or Couturier and a pick for Nurse is beyond ridiculous

I do think Coburn plus Laughton or Couturier and a pick for Nurse is beyond ridiculous

Whoa, I said nothing of the sort. I specifically said that guys like Laughton and Cooter were off limits, I didn't even want to discuss including Braydon Schenn in the deal. I was trying to get the Oilers top defensive prospect (and one of the best the entire league) for a limited return from our present roster. I get what you are saying about Coburn, but bottom line, he's a top pairing guy on our team, a 2nd or 3rd pairing on many other teams. He has a brutally slow first step, and does not skate well until he gets at least 2 or 3 strides in and has not dexterity to speak of....because of that, he does not get from point A to point B quickly in his own zone. There are a lot worse, but he's not even middle of the pack. He's also dead from the neck up in the offensive zone. A totally one dimensional one trick pony once he enters the offensive zone. If you can get a talent like Nurse with Coburn as the main return...you jump at it.

Yes, the team would be hurt by his loss, but if you are truly loading up for a cup run, go all in. Get the true top pairing guy we don't have in our group of prospects right now. The only reason I included the 1st round pick was to leave our current youth off the table. I see no other way to get it done. Nurse is not a luxury, he fits an actual need. We need a replacement for Kimo, someone who can skate like the wind, run a pp etc....Sanheim might be that, but he is 3-4 years off, Nurse is ready now, or at the latest next year.

What exactly has Nurse done that everybody is so enthused about?  Morin is three inches taller and 40lbs heavier,a decent wingspan and has lots of snarle to his game.Sounds pretty good to me. Where do people get to see these guys play? If there are sites in Canada,are they available (real time live) to the rest of us?

@  Nurse plays in the OHL. I get all the games on my Sports package from my Cable provider....but I doubt they are available to viewers in the States. Morin is a nice prospect, but he just does not skate as well as Nurse, nor does he have the offensive acumen of young Darnell, they are both nasty customers, just different skill sets.

There is no doubt, both Morin and Nurse have a natural mean streak. They are both nasty customers. The big difference is the skating and offensive upside. Would be GREAT to have them both on the same team....then in the future, both the 1st and 2nd pairings have a beast who is super tough to play against....that is a great start to a championship defense....super tough as nails battlers...a nightmare match up for opposing coaches.

While I agree that Nurse has the higher offensive upside when compared to Morin, I disagree that Nurse is a better skater than Morin. Morin, for such a big man, is a fantastic skater. Yes, there are things he needs to improve, specifically his pivoting and lateral movement, but that will come when he's got a bit more weight to him (right now, his center of gravity is high and it makes him a bit awkward). I don't see the skating between the two as a big gap, if any gap, at all.

And for discussion purposes jammer had Cousins in his trade proposal, not Laughton or Couturier.

Well he should have stopped there , not gone Homer on us by adding a pick. Any way I look at a roster player , a prospect with an NHL skill set and a pick for a prospect that can't crack a bottom feeding team's top 7 it does not pass muster.

@mojo1917

Nurse is only 19. And I'd certainly think about doing a Coburn, Cousins and 2016 1st swap. I just don't want to trade this years 1st. He's certainly coming along like a top pairing should.

it's all good and hypothetical,  Coburn was Nurse until he got his face smashed, he hasn't been the same since. Nurse has had questions regarding his maturity, and his offensive instincts.  I don't see him as can't miss, and I don't see him being worth 3 players. 

it's all good and hypothetical,  Coburn was Nurse until he got his face smashed, he hasn't been the same since. Nurse has had questions regarding his maturity, and his offensive instincts.  I don't see him as can't miss, and I don't see him being worth 3 players. 

Time will tell bro, time will tell.

While I agree that Nurse has the higher offensive upside when compared to Morin, I disagree that Nurse is a better skater than Morin. Morin, for such a big man, is a fantastic skater. Yes, there are things he needs to improve, specifically his pivoting and lateral movement, but that will come when he's got a bit more weight to him (right now, his center of gravity is high and it makes him a bit awkward). I don't see the skating between the two as a big gap, if any gap, at all.

Gotta disagree here. Nurse is an elite skater, both forwards and backwards. Morin is getting better, but not in Darnell's league. Nurse pivots better, is faster straight ahead and has gears that Morin could not even dream of.

Some highlights, including a few nice scraps....

Yes, but history has a tendency to repeat itself.  How many of those hyped up defenseman turned out to be true aces in the last ten years?

I've been wrong before, but I don't think I'm wrong here. Nurse is the real deal.

Well he should have stopped there , not gone Homer on us by adding a pick. Any way I look at a roster player , a prospect with an NHL skill set and a pick for a prospect that can't crack a bottom feeding team's top 7 it does not pass muster.

Ha ha....I'm not going all Homer. The facts are, Coburn is a nice mid tier d-man....Cousins outright sucked in this first pro year, that combo does not get you Nurse, or any other top 10 pick from that year. I was just trying to be realistic and leave our young talent out of the equation.

Gotta disagree here. Nurse is an elite skater, both forwards and backwards. Morin is getting better, but not in Darnell's league. Nurse pivots better, is faster straight ahead and has gears that Morin could not even dream of.

Some highlights, including a few nice scraps....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnrGOYlGTIc

I'm drooling.

@jammer2

I'm in full agreement Coburn and Cousins doesn't get it done. But I'm not trading Coburn AND our 1st this year...it just sounds too much like something that could blow up in our faces. Make it Coburn, Cousins, 2nd and 3rd or 1st next year, I'm in. I'm just not sure the Oilers would deal him either. They want Coburn, but I think you have to overpay to pry Nurse from them. 

They want Coburn, but I think you have to overpay to pry Nurse from them. 

maybe.  then again, nurse is likely several years away from really contributing in the NHL.  edmonton has to start winning games soon.  situations like that can change the relative value of assets.

maybe.  then again, nurse is likely several years away from really contributing in the NHL.  edmonton has to start winning games soon.  situations like that can change the relative value of assets.

Agreed. I think patience is running thin in Edmonchuck. If they want Coburn they will pay. They'd probably prefer to pay with Forward assets vs D-men, but then again they have some other decent D-prospects so maybe feel they can afford to part with Nurse. 

I'm pretty sure they asked about Coburn last year and Holmgren wanted Nurse...Edmonton said no way.

assuming he develops according to projections and doesn't go the same way as berard or redden or Phillips or zyuzin or Allen or klesla or pitkanen or barker or Johnson or the other Johnson or hickey or... Any of the other hundred prospects who were "can't miss" until they missed.

Aki Berg is maybe particularly relevant. Leading up to the draft, the king's GM said he skated like Paul Coffey and hit like Scott Stevens. He was going to be an absolute force at both ends of the ice. Turned out, though, that he was Aki Berg. Which rhymes with "meh".

Hype until it isn't, and you don't send key pieces away for hype.

This is coming from a fan of a team which has been sending away NHL players for magic beans for over 20 years now... I agree with you completely. Nurse could very well work out, or he may not. He could sustain an injury, greatly affecting his development; you really just don't know. Scouts have been, for over a century, fooled by The Good Face, The Good Body, or go on about a player's speed, compete level, etc, etc, etc, only to not figure out simple things like the fact that a guy may not produce against juniors, let alone NHL players...

But, when you have an actual NHL player, especially a quality one at that, you hold on to them dearly.

Archived