I saw an Eklund tweet about Oilers looking at Coburn, please be true

Mario99

I gotta' tell ya' I'm happy with Morin,his attitude,size,and desire. I like Nurse also until I READ 6'4", 185lbs..  Stringbean ?

He put on 20 lbs this year, when weighed at rookie development camp in July.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly has Nurse done that everybody is so enthused about?  Morin is three inches taller and 40lbs heavier,a decent wingspan and has lots of snarle to his game.Sounds pretty good to me. Where do people get to see these guys play? If there are sites in Canada,are they available (real time live) to the rest of us?

I don't know who will be better, but every scouting service saw Nurse in the lottery range of the draft, and Morin in 17-20 range. They definitely watch the games. Past draft day, Nurse was facing the toughest comp, moving the puck north, while Morin faced middling comp and was skating backwards more often. That's not an indictment, as development rarely occurs in a straight line.

But... So far, it's playing as the scouts saw it (and they get it wrong plenty, too).

It's funny; Coburn doesn't excite me but with the depleted-"uber-journeymen" group we start the season with, his departure would be significant.  We can't put the youngins in too early; Adirondack isn't stacked.  Eklund's rumors may or may not be worth much.  

Howie

We are not in a position to be trading away defensemen, IMO.

Thank you for in stilling some reason.

well when you are forced to play like 50 minutes a night due to the ECHL caliper defense that the Flyers are running, odds are you're going to be on the ice for a goal or two....

Only way it makes sense. Still ... Ain't gonna happen unless something is seriously wrong with Nurse.

Moving Coburn would significantly downgrade an already struggling defense. With Kimo gone, if you subtract Coburn also....it's a death blow to our playoff chances. I would move Coburn, but only if it meant acquiring a stud like Nurse. Something like Coburn/1st next year/Cousins (they need young centers) for Nurse...it would hurt in the short run...but in the long run...we make out like bandits. Nurse is can't miss because of his exceptional skating. Only question is how much offense he can contribute....but he WILL be a snarly, mean beast of a d-man...I guarantee that much.

That trade is complete insanity. You're totally correct.

@pilldoc

i'm not at all familiar with the Oil , I know they've picked first a lot lately so there should be some talent on the roster.

Realistically if i'm the GM in Edmonton, i look at where I think I have an abundance of good hockey players and start there, do I have some wing players that are being blocked by Hall , Eberle and Yakupov ?

A good trade helps both teams, the Flyers IMO are still needing a good player to play with G and Jake, Do the Oil have a kid in the system that can make hay in that circumstance ?

that's what I'd try to do, There are plenty of talented young defensemen on the Oil's roster too maybe a prospect, not Nurse , and a pick for Coburn. ?

honestly I don't know what it would take to make a deal twixt those teams.

I do think Coburn plus Laughton or Couturier and a pick for Nurse is beyond ridiculous

Archived