The next captain

ScottM

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/08/18/ottawa-senators-erik-karlsson-ready-for-increased-scrutiny-willing-to-be-captain/

Karlsson says he's willing to take on the Senators' captaincy. I've felt ever since the Spezza trade that naming Karlsson as the captain made a lot of sense. The team responds well to him on the ice, and his presence in the lineup makes a big difference. Is it a foregone conclusion that the role is his, or do you think someone else will be chosen? If so, who?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/08/18/ottawa-senators-erik-karlsson-ready-for-increased-scrutiny-willing-to-be-captain/

Karlsson says he's willing to take on the Senators' captaincy. I've felt ever since the Spezza trade that naming Karlsson as the captain made a lot of sense. The team responds well to him on the ice, and his presence in the lineup makes a big difference. Is it a foregone conclusion that the role is his, or do you think someone else will be chosen? If so, who?

Karlsson is the only logical choice. Not only does he want it, but it will give him incentive to stay. A lot of people were worrying over him running if the team around him did not get better.

Chris Neil is pushing 35 and not a great player to begin with and the rest of the decent players have not been in town long enough to warrant it.

Not sure if Kyle Turris would make a good captain or not...I know he had some immaturity issues earlier in his career, but he seems to have settled in quite nicely with the Sens.

Also, have heard much in the media about him talking up a big game about shouldering more of the workload on the team....that SOUNDS like something a captain would attempt to do.....

Just not sure if Turris > Karlsson for the particular role of captain.

I was thinking Chris Neil could be the team captain as well, not from a total package talent standpoint, but the guy DOES do on ice gamesmanship about as well as anyone (i.e. see the Irritating Players thread) and he is pretty good about trying to not only work officials, but sets the tone for games quite well with his play on the ice.

Plus, the guy has probably the most tenure of anyone on that team right now.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  The only problem with having Neil as the captain is he would not be on the ice in crucial situations when you need your captain to interact with the officials etc. You can get one of the A's to do it, but in a perfect world, the captain takes care of it and is the teams spokesman. That is another negative, you don't want the guy interacting with the officials and arguing key calls to already have a predisposed hatred from the officals, not the way to win key controversial calls.....lol.

As much as I respect Neil and love the spark he provides for the team at times, I have to agree with jammer. There are too many potential negatives.

Turris? One day, yes, but not yet. I want to see some prolonged evidence of maturity. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him.

@ScottM  With each passing day, it looks more and more like Ottawa ripped off Phoenix in the Turris for Runblad deal. As we all know, it takes longer for d-men to develop at the NHL level than forwards....but at this point, Runblad should have been showing some signs or hints at potential greatness, and he's showing that he can barely stay in the league. He will have to grow by leaps and bounds just to let the Yotes get even close to even in this one sided deal.

Hmmmm, did not even know this, Runblad and Brisbois both acquired by the Black Hawks for a 2014 2nd rounder.....WOW, nice move by the Hawks, if either one of these kids turn out, it's a steal. I know Brisbois was a really high scoring d-man, and finished among the final 3 for QHL d-man of the year in 2013. So Runblad is basically a throw in here.....wow has his stock dropped off.

@ScottM  With each passing day, it looks more and more like Ottawa ripped off Phoenix in the Turris for Runblad deal. As we all know, it takes longer for d-men to develop at the NHL level than forwards....but at this point, Runblad should have been showing some signs or hints at potential greatness, and he's showing that he can barely stay in the league. He will have to grow by leaps and bounds just to let the Yotes get even close to even in this one sided deal.

We also ripped off the Isles in the Yashin trade...  :D

We got some guy named Chara and drafted some guy named Spezza with the draft pick. Maybe they'll do something one day. Lol

Guys, how about MIlan Michalek as a captain?

He seems to have a pretty good all around game, though he doesn't get the ink like some other guys on the team (sorta like Patrice Bergeron over in Boston), and looks just as comfortable playing a fast paced up tempo style as he does setting a tone physically for his team.

He has 5 seasons under his belt with the team, though I am not sure how vocal, demonstrative he can be.

Even if he isn't the vocal type (not all captains have to be that way), is he at least a good locker room guy who tends to have the ears of his teammates? How is he with officials?

Would he be a good candidate?

I can't dismiss it as absurd. He is a former 35 goal scorer (a number that would be nice to see this season!). Maybe he should at least be considered for one of the A's. I guess my only question there is, would they put him ahead of Neil and Phillips?

We also ripped off the Isles in the Yashin trade... :D

Did you know...*this* is the year, after the looooooong contract and subsequent buy out, this is the *last* year that Yashin is on the Islanders cap hit. They will be charged 2.2 mill for this coming year then they are done!!!   WOW, did that take a while or what?!?  Crazy stuff right there!!

Talk about getting rid of someone just in time! Lol. We dodged a bullet there. The Islanders were insane to give him the contract they did in the first place. He came out smelling like a rose despite his awful play.

• 2 weeks later...

BOBBY RYAN!!!!!!!!!

I just can't help but wonder if Ryan will be with the team past this upcoming season. He'll be a free agent after the season is up, and his production is going to allow him to demand some major coin. With the team's self-imposed lower salary cap, I don't know if we can afford him. I doubt the team wants another 1-year captain.

I just can't help but wonder if Ryan will be with the team past this upcoming season. He'll be a free agent after the season is up, and his production is going to allow him to demand some major coin. With the team's self-imposed lower salary cap, I don't know if we can afford him. I doubt the team wants another 1-year captain.

That was more in jest. But seriously i expected to read Ryan to Philly rumor till the end of the trade deadline this year. At least till he extends in Ottawa. 

Archived