Captaincy stripped from Thornton

hf101

I really don't understand this move.

Seems they are just mad they didn't want a trade so this is their way of getting back at them.

I guess Logan will be the new Captain. This is a front office that isn't sure what they want to do and it shows in their moves or lack of them.

I really don't understand this move.

Seems they are just mad they didn't want a trade so this is their way of getting back at them.

I guess Logan will be the new Captain. This is a front office that isn't sure what they want to do and it shows in their moves or lack of them.

Stir more controversy to shift the discussion away from everything DW hasn't done this off-season

The puzzling part is why even take away the captaincy if there is even a slight chance that Joe could get it back? Why not avoid all that embarrassment for Joe, they could have accomplished their goal without making the whole thing public. I can only conclude they wanted to light a fire under Joe, again...something that could have been done behind the scenes. If they wanted to go a different direction, they could have observed and made conclusions based on training camp and pre-season. 

The puzzling part is why even take away the captaincy if there is even a slight chance that Joe could get it back? Why not avoid all that embarrassment for Joe, they could have accomplished their goal without making the whole thing public. I can only conclude they wanted to light a fire under Joe, again...something that could have been done behind the scenes. If they wanted to go a different direction, they could have observed and made conclusions based on training camp and pre-season. 

It is entirely possible this is the first in a string of insults and slights to get him to waive the No Movement clause they gave him.

It is entirely possible this is the first in a string of insults and slights to get him to waive the No Movement clause they gave him.

There are far better ways of approaching things than publically shaming a loyal employee. It makes the Sharks look classless. Like I said, the same goals could have been achieved behind the scenes without making Joe look like a piece of meat who can be discarded once a few bites are taken. Just a horrible way to go about things IMHO.

There are far better ways of approaching things than publically shaming a loyal employee. It makes the Sharks look classless. Like I said, the same goals could have been achieved behind the scenes without making Joe look like a piece of meat who can be discarded once a few bites are taken. Just a horrible way to go about things IMHO.

Tell me something I don't know lol.

I think Wilson went off the deep end after this loss. TMac strikes me as just doing what he is told, but Larry Robinson criticized Joe for making snappy sarcastic jokes and a cutting sense of humor that were not mean spirited that all the vets laugh off, but came off the wrong way at some of the young guys and hurting their feelings.

ROFL

Good grief. This is a sport filled with glorified alpha males most of the time, and now their feelings are hurt because Thornton makes jokes like Dr House?

@J0e Th0rnton  Just a sign of the times bro. Things are so politically correct that a captain has to walk on eggshells when addressing team members, it's sad, really.

Political correctness can ruin anything... Even hockey...

@ScottM  It really bugs me when groups turn into sub groups and all are protected under the political correctness movement. You can't have a nativity scene in a cities Christmas display cause the Satan worshipping crowd is not given equal attention. Then the people who worship squirrels and Satan in no specific order also want their own display....how about this....this country was founded on Christian morals and Jesus's teachings...so go suck a lemon if you want equal time or space.

@ScottM  It really bugs me when groups turn into sub groups and all are protected under the political correctness movement. You can't have a nativity scene in a cities Christmas display cause the Satan worshipping crowd is not given equal attention. Then the people who worship squirrels and Satan in no specific order also want their own display....how about this....this country was founded on Christian morals and Jesus's teachings...so go suck a lemon if you want equal time or space.

As far as the U.S. Constitution is concerned, the only things the government is forbidden from doing are the establishment of an official religion and preventing someone from freely exercising their own personal religion (Provided, of course, that it doesn't violate common sense laws. You obviously don't want people killing others and robbing banks because their "religion" says to). People also fail to recognize that freedom of speech doesn't include freedom to not be offended.

And I'd better stop there before I get on a soapbox and wear out my welcome. Lol

They're kind of screwed either way though. If they ask Joe to waive his NMC and he doesn't, they're either stuck with a guy who knows he isn't wanted anymore, or they have to find a way to get him to waive his NMC. Considering how big of a personality he seems to have in the locker room, a disgruntled Joe Thornton could turn into a really ugly situation for everybody.

@MadDevil  It could turn ugly, and I'm not completely sure on this, but my gut says Joe will be a pro about this and not let his ego get in the way of the bigger picture, ie the team. This would be more of a test of his leadership than anything else....can he put his personal feelings aside and suck it up for the good of the team?

I worship Kate Beckinsale. Someone get me a lifelike statue of her and I'll take care of the erection.

You are a twisted individual rux....I suppose you want it made out of washable rubber too...... :o

I think I am in the "This is just the first shot to make Thornton drop his NMC" boat. What was the remark he made after Hertl scored 4 goals? " I'd have my c0ck out after scoring 4 goals...and stroking it......" Although hilarious, I am sure the management frowned upon that particular vernacular for supporting his team mate. Couture seems to me to be the logical choice if he has the respect of his team. He certainly has the skills on the ice to be the leader, the question is can he do it in the locker room too......I am pretty sure that Joe would have a colorful comment to that line also........

I'll throw this out there...

Since all of the leadership positions were removed it seems entirely possible that the stink made wasn't just to remove Thornton from the leadership group.  Marleau had his "A" removed as well.  I think it is possible management didn't want to single out Thornton or Marleau, but instead they now have a group of 6 potential candidates for the 3 leadership positions.  Couture, Vlassic, Burns, Palvelski,Thornton, and  Marleau.  One of the 3 positions will be given to either Vlasic or Burns.  Couture will get one also, and his letter will likely be a "C".  Comments made by Couture in the media that he is still not over the loss from the Kings stands out to me similar to the Giroux statement "Put me in Coach" that Giroux made.   The other will be either of Thornton or Marleau who steps it up the most vs Palvelski.

I believe the Sharks management stated that the leadership team would be announced in training camp.  It is entirely possible they go with a different group of 3 "A"s for the first 3 months of the season and name the new Captain in January...  aka what the Wild did for 9 years.

I'll throw this out there...

Since all of the leadership positions were removed it seems entirely possible that the stink made wasn't just to remove Thornton from the leadership group.  Marleau had his "A" removed as well.  I think it is possible management didn't want to single out Thornton or Marleau, but instead they now have a group of 6 potential candidates for the 3 leadership positions.  Couture, Vlassic, Burns, Palvelski,Thornton, and  Marleau.  One of the 3 positions will be given to either Vlasic or Burns.  Couture will get one also, and his letter will likely be a "C".  Comments made by Couture in the media that he is still not over the loss from the Kings stands out to me similar to the Giroux statement "Put me in Coach" that Giroux made.   The other will be either of Thornton or Marleau who steps it up the most vs Palvelski.

I believe the Sharks management stated that the leadership team would be announced in training camp.  It is entirely possible they go with a different group of 3 "A"s for the first 3 months of the season and name the new Captain in January...  aka what the Wild did for 9 years.

I can't see Burns getting a letter. He is the poster child for ignoring the coach and team system.

Of all players, he is the guy who had his icetime chopped in the last few games of the playoffs a few times.

Shame every center but Jumbo Joe was sucking in the faceoff circle.

Archived