Best way for me to watch games.

chas0000

Last season I got hooked on hockey. Even though I had only been a fan for a short amount of time, after the free trial of Center Ice on directv was over, I decided to subscribe to Game Center. Overall, it was definitely worth the money. However there were a few problems. During the off season I have been looking into other options.

I have tried hockeystreams, but I guess I don't have a good connection to their servers. Games are unwatchable because of the constant buffering. I have no problem watching HD video on Game Center, or any other streaming service. I was really looking forward the ability to watch pre season and blacked out games. So I guess I'm sticking with Game Center.

I prefer using my Roku player for watching games. I am no longer living in a house with satellite tv, so I am not able to just dvr the games on NBCSN. However, I do have access to my grandparents directv log in, so I can watch the games on NBCSN.com, with my computer hooked up to my tv. This is great, but if I'm at work at can't see the game because it streams live. Also, when entering full screen, there is an ad above the video, and the video doesn't take up the whole screen. I'll post a picture of this so you can see what's so annoying about watching this way, especially during playoffs.

Sorry if this is just pointless jabbering. I'm just hoping someone could help me enjoy this great sport, the only sport I'll ever care about, easier to enjoy. Thanks in advance to anyone who's able to help. 

@chas0000

Welcome.  I really don't know of other viewing options however this forum is a great place to discuss hockey   :D.  

Under "my menu"  you can see a list of maybe some more streaming options for you.  I think Game Center is probably your best option especially if you live in Louisiana because you won't have any blackouts.  That wouldn't be a viable option for me as I live in the Philly area and the Flyers games would be blacked out.  I pay for Comcast and usually purchase center ice.  

Well, the first thing I thought of when I saw this title was...

A--unlimited supply of Private Stock, Captain Morgan RuM

B--unlimited supply of puck bunnies...dressed like bunnies

C-_ginormous HDTV

Yep..that about covers it.  

Oh wait..you meant...ahh...nevermind.  

A--unlimited supply of Private Stock, Captain Morgan Run

C-_ginormous HDTV

D--sheep

I don't know what "Run" is, but if it's anything like "Rum" I will have to switch that to Tequila, a fine Reposado, with beer chaser. I also added a personal touch...

Well, the first thing I thought of when I saw this title was...

A--unlimited supply of Private Stock, Captain Morgan RuM

C-_ginormous HDTV

Oh wait..you meant...ahh...nevermind.  

Better??!!  Stupid, moronic iPhone.  

@chas0000  Welcome Chas. Glad you feel in love with the greatest sport in the world. Sharks fan, huh?  How long have you been following them? Did you just pick them last year, and if so....why?  Just curious as to how you made your choice. I guess you could not have gone the geographic route, living in Louisiana and all.

Nothing worse than watching a bad internet feed, I just can't do it, way to frustrating. I tried to watch the Flyers and Caps rookies last year on a feed like that, and as bad as I wanted to see some of the game, I canned it a few minutes in.

I don't know what type of tv you have, but I own a Samsung, and there is a nice mirroring option which lets a portable device pick up my tv feed, that might help you at work, if you own a Samsung and supporting device. If not, the way to go is Center Ice....and maybe check to see if the NHL Network is available in your part of the woods....they always show some pre-season games.

Thanks jammer.

As for becoming a Sharks fan, the first game I saw them play was the Hertl 4 goal game, and it got me hooked. I was leaning more towards the Blackhawks at first, but it seemed too easy to back the champions. I found myself drawn more and more to the sharks each game. The playoffs collapse doesn't even bother me, they are my team now. Over 80 games, I'm not giving up on them that easy. It just pumps me up more for next season.

Thanks jammer.

As for becoming a Sharks fan....The playoffs collapse doesn't even bother me, they are my team now. Over 80 games, I'm not giving up on them that easy. It just pumps me up more for next season.

Count yourself among the few and the lucky! Welcome.

• 1 month later...

My first post:

Once again this year, NHL Center Ice will offer a free preview of their package 8-25 Oct.  Consult your cable/sat provider listings for the Center Ice channels. Enjoy!

My first post:

Once again this year, NHL Center Ice will offer a free preview of their package 8-25 Oct.  Consult your cable/sat provider listings for the Center Ice channels. Enjoy!

Welcome.

Thanks for the reminder as I need to order.  Hopefully there are more games in HD this year.

Last season I got hooked on hockey. Even though I had only been a fan for a short amount of time, after the free trial of Center Ice on directv was over, I decided to subscribe to Game Center.

Hey Chas-

1) Welcome.

2) I live outside of NorthAmerica. So I was typically doing the same as you (streaming the games). And same as you hated the bufferring hickups, etc. What I have decided to do this season is to download the games via torrent. Because I am outside of North America, I am not subjected to the copyright / proprietary stuff that folks are there.

The downside on this approach is that I don't get to see the games live. The upside is that I get a great picture and can choose to watch the game at my convenience.

I watched the last two preseason games last night. My 3 y/o and i. It was the first time in 3 years that I got to see hd hockey game and not the slop that you get when streaming.

So, if watching it real time is not an issue, try a torrent download of the games.

Best way to watch is in person!

If you're in the Ottawa area you can use the  promo code ASBM21 for cheap Ottawa Senators tickets. 

This saves you the $10 service charge plus a minimum of 10%. It'll work for the entire 2014/15 season. 

@chas0000 One thing you could try (specifically for the advertisement blocking the video thing) is to use Chrome/Firefox as your browser, and install the Ad Block add-on. This should get rid of the ad at the top.

The add-on itself is considered a bit mean as it can stop sites from generating ad revenue while you browse, but in my opinion if ads are blocking the experience like that, that's wrong. If you are feeling a bit guilty, though, you could disable it while browsing normally and re-enable it just for streaming. If you'd like, there is also a whitelisting feature to allow certain sites to display ads properly.

I found a flaw in your perfect scenario.

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! Seriously, I'm not like that! I'm a perfect gentleman!

...or at least, I am in theory. Nobody's ever actually let me try.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived