Is NHL Expansion to Vegas a done deal?

hf101

i thought about the CTL+ ALT+ DELETES ... but didn't think it would look good on a touk .

and the swoosh would cause beef with  Portland, Oregon  (Beaverton actually) since that is where Nike is located.

CADS would fit I guess.

I did not know that re Portland. Great city. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a discussion about expansion in Seattle on another site I was a part of a few seasons back....many of us were throwing around names for teams and such...

One cool one that was thrown around was the Seattle Kraken.

It keeps with the nautical theme the city and it's franchises are known for, is wholly unique (who the hell has a teamed named after a monstrous octopus anyways?? None!), and on top of all that, think about this:

You know in San Jose when the players come skating out on to the ice from a giant Shark mouth?

Well, in Seattle, for the Kraken, they can do kinda the same thing, but have a model giant octopi / squid with tentacles extended upwards after parting from the entrance, some stormy sound effects in the back ground and RIGHT BEFORE the home players are allowed to skate onto the ice, one can hear over the PA system, Liam Neeson's voice......RELEASE THE KRAKEN !!

I don't know if they have this brand in the States, but up here that phrase means something different these days. This one is for @DaGreatGazoo

Kraken-Rum.jpg

Did a little checking after my post, and it turns out, in Seattle, there IS a Kraken Bar and Lounge in their University District....so whether the actual monster or the monstrous drink, RELEASING THE KRAKEN, seems VERY appropriate, no?   :D

First one is a bit ugly, but this whole Kraken thing go so far as to warrant people doing mock ups........haha...

4-22.jpg

Designs aren't bad, but I would have scaled back the brown a bit, and the green make it more a sea green than olive green, ala the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL.

Too bad Winterpeg has the Jets ....  that would be a good one for the Seattle team.  Jet City...Boeing reference, even though i think the HQ is now in the St Louis MO.

what about the Seattle Grunge. ? or Clippers ?

I think the Vegas team should go tongue and cheek  with 50's "old Vegas" reference, the WIse Guys , Outlaws, Hitmen or Whales...

I got nothing for another Tronno team, and I always liked the Nordiques for Quebec .

Clippers sound good. What about the Emeralds?? The Emerald City and all. It's still hard to believe that Seattle can be awarded a team when the City can't come to a agreement to fund a new arena.

What about the Totems. Goes back to the old Junior days. It looks a little like the present day Thunderbirds that they have now.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/logos.php?t=134&s=1975&sf=

why not co-opt the Thunderbirds name...that sounds great and I can see some great looking unis and color schemes.

Clippers sound good. What about the Emeralds?? The Emerald City and all. It's still hard to believe that Seattle can be awarded a team when the City can't come to a agreement to fund a new arena.

It's a valid point. Cities sitting on the fence and oh humming are gonna get left in the dust real quick. Quebec has a new building being constructed as we speak, Markham has a NHL sized venue already built and ready to go. If these cites *really* want it, they will have to 100% be behind a new arean, cause other cities will be lining up build one.

Still kinda wondering what a city like Markham, Ont is dong with an NHL sized arena, who plays there?  Did they pull a "build it and they will come" leap of faith?

Still kinda wondering what a city like Markham, Ont is dong with an NHL sized arena, who plays there? Did they pull a "build it and they will come" leap of faith?

Is Markham a burb near Hamilton? I thought originally that it was gonna be Hamilton awarded the team.

Is Markham a burb near Hamilton? I thought originally that it was gonna be Hamilton awarded the team.

Markham is in the GTA. It borders Toronto, if I'm not mistaken, and has a population of over 300K in its own right. Hamilton is a bit southwest of Toronto, and is part of its own metro area separate from the GTA.

The problem that Hamilton has in getting a team is that the Sabres could demand a huge fee in exchange for a team being placed so close to them. It would be a great market, though.

Still kinda wondering what a city like Markham, Ont is dong with an NHL sized arena, who plays there?  Did they pull a "build it and they will come" leap of faith?

That was pretty much the background of the plans to build the arena, as I understand it. The league told them they should assume it would never happen, but they were still hoping to attract a team.

That was pretty much the background of the plans to build the arena, as I understand it. The league told them they should assume it would never happen, but they were still hoping to attract a team.

Wow, that is a gigantic leap of faith!  Just shows you the lengths that cities will go to achieve their dream of attracting the NHL. With a firm resolution like that, you wonder how a city that flat out rejects publically supporting an NHL sized arena would ever be even considered. Highly doubtful there is enough real season ticket money or public interest if an arena is rejected on a ballot. You gotta come strong if you want a team, or at least it appears that way.

Wow, that is a gigantic leap of faith!  Just shows you the lengths that cities will go to achieve their dream of attracting the NHL. With a firm resolution like that, you wonder how a city that flat out rejects publically supporting an NHL sized arena would ever be even considered. Highly doubtful there is enough real season ticket money or public interest if an arena is rejected on a ballot. You gotta come strong if you want a team, or at least it appears that way.

I think any city in Canada can come strong compared to Seattle or Las Vegas.

All I can say is I'm happy the Flyers don't have Carter, Richards and the "dry island" thing when they go to Vegas. Gambling, Prostitution and free drinks! Yikes!

I say Seattle and Kansas City and move Florida to Quebec. Leave Tampa on it's own so every team gets a chance in the winter to go to the gulf coast.  Get freakin Arizona out of there, maybe Saskatoon or Portland. 

I say Seattle and Kansas City and move Florida to Quebec. Leave Tampa on it's own so every team gets a chance in the winter to go to the gulf coast. Get freakin Arizona out of there, maybe Saskatoon or Portland.

Definitely Portland!!!!!  Way better hockey presence than Seattle. Seattle cant even draw good for their Junior team. I cant see how they can get a big fan base for a NHL Team.  The numbers already proved the point for Arizona and the Florida Teams. I think any Canadian City deserves an NHL team more than the Arizona or Florida cities.

Agree With This

I don't care if they call them the Seattle Seabird Crappers, lets just get a team in the upper northwest so I can drive to a Flyers game once a year. And why is San Jose upper California???  Just look at a map??? Central yeah. Upper no.

The Toronto Sun's Mike Ziesberger writes his latest column on the expansion favourites. It clears up some misconceptions....like, Markham does not have an arean as some thought, including myself. It is very much up in the air.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/27/nhl-expansion-candidates-at-a-glance

Archived