Is NHL Expansion to Vegas a done deal?

hf101

The Toronto Sun's Mike Ziesberger writes his latest column on the expansion favourites. It clears up some misconceptions....like, Markham does not have an arean as some thought, including myself. It is very much up in the air.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/27/nhl-expansion-candidates-at-a-glance

I knew the arena wasn't finished, but I thought that they had at the very least broken ground. Shows what I know. Lol

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ScottM  I didn't know the tax payers voted it down, don't blame them a bit, let the billionaries pay for that stuff. ....but it is a big blow to a possible team there, unless they can find the private money.

So far from voting it down, for some reason, I thought that the voters had approved it. I don't blame them for saying no either. It's a risky proposition, and I believe the proposed arena was somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 million. The fact that Hamilton never got a team despite the building of Copps probably didn't help.

It's better than the Las Vegas Venereal Diseases that's for sure

I don't think they'd come right out and say "venereal".  But, you can hint at it.  Hartford used to have the "whalers".

How about Las Vegas Moby Dicks?

• 1 month later...

Kansas City really needs an NHL team.  The metro population has surpassed 3.5 million, and I mean look at the support the chiefs, royals, and sporting kc gets. Soccer is the least popular sport of all of the professional sports in america and Sporting KC has sold out 53 straight games.  If anyone saw the chiefs monday night or royals tuesday, you can see how excited the fans here are of professional sports.  I think the NHL would make a major mistake of picking some of these other cities instead of Kansas City.

They have a brand new arena, right in the heart of a nightlife district.

Yeah we had the scouts in '74-'75.... But the city has grown probably by 2.5 million since then.

I'm just rambling because I am a upset fan who really wants to have an NHL team here.

i actually hate this..water down the league even more..there are teams that have more cotton candy vendors then fans yet we expand..

Ok, so which team has the team do you boot out of this list: 

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2014

While I agree, what I would do is move Phoenix to Vegas- in a heart beat. 

Expand to Seattle and Quebec like suggested. I understand the lament for Florida Panthers, but its not the team, its the ownership. Tampa thrives because they have good ownership / management. If you do away with the Panthers, it leaves Tampa wailing in the wind. The same could be said of Dallas, Nashville. 

I have always advocated having hockey teams where the climate is conducive to the sport. And while you might shake your head and say Vegas is not it, go there in the winter. No snow or ice, but its hockey weather. 

My expansion / relocation would like this: 

Dallas to Kansas city

Vegas- well, just because

Seattle (its a 5 hour drive from seattle to vancouver, so why not)- you have NYI, Rangers and Devils all within an hour or less of each other. 

Ok, so which team has the team do you boot out of this list: 

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2014

While I agree, what I would do is move Phoenix to Vegas- in a heart beat. 

Expand to Seattle and Quebec like suggested. I understand the lament for Florida Panthers, but its not the team, its the ownership. Tampa thrives because they have good ownership / management. If you do away with the Panthers, it leaves Tampa wailing in the wind. The same could be said of Dallas, Nashville. 

I have always advocated having hockey teams where the climate is conducive to the sport. And while you might shake your head and say Vegas is not it, go there in the winter. No snow or ice, but its hockey weather. 

My expansion / relocation would like this: 

Dallas to Kansas city

Vegas- well, just because

Seattle (its a 5 hour drive from seattle to vancouver, so why not)- you have NYI, Rangers and Devils all within an hour or less of each other. 

Hmmm, I honestly don't mind teams being in warmer climate.  As long as the fans support it, I say go for it.  But if that sways them to move one to Kansas City because of our frigid winters, so be it :)

Seattle would definantly be a good move, and I know lately it has sounded like a lock for the next team, but from what I heard they would much rather have an NBA team.  I know you can hold both teams in one arena, but I have heard it can be really hard??  But I'm not sure which current nhl / nba teams play in the same arena.  Also, has seattle actually started building an arena, or is it just approved / not approved?

Vegas- ... I honestly am not sure about this move either.  The past 2 olympics / fiba world cups the USA team plays exhibition games / practices there and the stadium is literally empty.  Go to chicago they are full, go to new york they fill up there too.  I'm sure they would fill up in Seattle in a heart beat too.  Kansas City frequently sells out NBA pre season matchups.  Now I know thats basketball, but is that a glimpse of the actual sports fans there?

Expand to seattle , quebec.  Move the coyotes to Kansas City

I know you can hold both teams in one arena, but I have heard it can be really hard??  But I'm not sure which current nhl / nba teams play in the same arena.

NYR (NY Knickerbockers)

Flyers (Sixers)

Panthers (miami heat)

Boston (Celtics)

Washington (Bullets)

I am not a basketball fan, so that is off the top of my head. The reality is that its not a hockey arena, its a muli-use arena. Circus comes to town, hottest live band comes to town, etc. 

I think hockey in Vegas would be a disaster.  I just don't see it being successful. 

I'm not a fan of expansion at all.  And now they're talking about crazy crap like a "Champions Tournament."  

As for moving, I guess I'd want to move Miami, but the point that that would leave Tampa out there is a valid one.  (I'm not opposed to moving both teams, though). 

I'd actually be in favor of folding a couple teams before moving OR expansion, to be honest.

Seattle, I guess for a moving destination although I wonder about it.   Quebec maybe (which flies in the face of my earlier "they had their shot").   San Francisco/Oakland could probably sustain a team if the Sharks want to share the market. 

Otherwise, drop down to four divisions of 6 teams and get rid of:

Carolina

Tampa

Miami

Phoenix

Dallas

Nashville

You'd end up with these divisions:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Northeast Division

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

Buffalo Sabres

Toronto Maple Leafs

Columbus Blue Jackets

Ottawa Senators

Mid-Atlantic Division

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey Devils

Pittsburgh Penguins

Philadelphia Flyers

Washington Capitals

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Black Hawks

St. Louis Blues

Minnesota Wild

Winnepeg Jets

Colorado Avalanche

Pacific Division

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

San Jose Sharks

Vancouver Canucks

Edmonton Oilers

Calgary Flames

I realize it's back in time a bit and will never happen due to revenue loss for the league and 120-150 less NHL jobs for the NHLPA.   But it would send 36 presumably top-2 line players and at least 12-24 first or second pair defensemen to the remaining 24 teams and maybe get rid of players who really have no business in a premier league.   And we keep a winter sport in places that have a winter.

NYR (NY Knickerbockers)

Flyers (Sixers)

Panthers (miami heat)

Boston (Celtics)

Washington (Bullets)

I am not a basketball fan, so that is off the top of my head. The reality is that its not a hockey arena, its a muli-use arena. Circus comes to town, hottest live band comes to town, etc. 

Chicago Black Hawks / Bulls

Dallas Stars/Mavericks

Los Angeles Kings/Lakers

Do the Red Wings and Pistons play in the same place?

Toronto Maple Leafs/Raptors   (oh, you wanted a HOCKEY team!)

I *think* between the two of us we got'em.

But the Islanders will be moving to the Barclays Center where the Nets now play.

Thats the new place in the bronx, right?? I thought they already did move. 

As an aside- and I have not seen a thread on this yet, did people see that Wang sold the Islanders?? 

Thats the new place in the bronx, right?? I thought they already did move. 

As an aside- and I have not seen a thread on this yet, did people see that Wang sold the Islanders?? 

The new arena is in Brooklyn. The Isles haven't moved yet, 2015-16 will be their first season there.

II saw that Wang sold the team. But he still retains some control for the next year or so.

The new arena is in Brooklyn. The Isles haven't moved yet, 2015-16 will be their first season there.

II saw that Wang sold the team. But he still retains some control for the next year or so.

Thats right. forgot. 

Thats a shame. Just cut bait. I get the investment part of it, but truthfully, I would prefer to have an owner that atleast enjoys the sport. 

Thats right. forgot. 

Thats a shame. Just cut bait. I get the investment part of it, but truthfully, I would prefer to have an owner that atleast enjoys the sport. 

I'm just glad he's on his way out and I don't even like the Islanders. I'm not a fan of DC's football team either, but I wish Dan Snyder would sell that team to someone with a clue.

Reports indicate the city of Seattle will join Las Vegas, Quebec City and Toronto as new homes for NHL expansion franchises! Read more HERE:http://bit.ly/1ooqLHb

I can't get on board with any article that suggests expansion in Toronto. Couldn't even get a team in Hamilton (who is that guy that had rims technology and wanted a team there?).

Outside of territorial issues, any "expansion" team must have a new state of the art arena- or at least willing to build it. The washington tax payers have stuck their thumb up their collective asrses in that regard. That is why there is no longer a basketball team in Seattle (hello Kansas City).

Las Vegas actually has a plan and investors to build a sports arena that can house professional sports etc. So, scratch Seattle and Toronto off the list (and even hamilton- because both Buffalo and Toronto will scream bloody murder).

Las Vegas and Quebec City are the top two IMO.

I can't get on board with any article that suggests expansion in Toronto. Couldn't even get a team in Hamilton (who is that guy that had rims technology and wanted a team there?).

Outside of territorial issues, any "expansion" team must have a new state of the art arena- or at least willing to build it. The washington tax payers have stuck their thumb up their collective asrses in that regard. That is why there is no longer a basketball team in Seattle (hello Kansas City).

Las Vegas actually has a plan and investors to build a sports arena that can house professional sports etc. So, scratch Seattle and Toronto off the list (and even hamilton- because both Buffalo and Toronto will scream bloody murder).

Las Vegas and Quebec City are the top two IMO.

2 things regarding seattle..as far as the people thumbing there nose..they are (me included) are still paying for safeco and quest field is one reason.. there is already (can't remember his name ATM) who is buying up all the land in SOHO district to build an arena. in fact if the city of gelndale didn't re-up the yotes lease they would be heading to seattle, play in the key arena while the new building was being built. and (wait for it) Jeremy Roenick was to be president of this franchise.

play in the key arena while the new building was being built

I would sell the shirt off my back to watch an NHL game at Key Arena. While not state of the art (ie, no club boxes / luxury suites), there is not a bad seat in the house. Been there allot of times to watch the Thunderbirds play.

I would sell the shirt off my back to watch an NHL game at Key Arena. While not state of the art (ie, no club boxes / luxury suites), there is not a bad seat in the house. Been there allot of times to watch the Thunderbirds play.

sounds like the old spectrum. there was a reason teams hated playing against the flyers there

sounds like the old spectrum. there was a reason teams hated playing against the flyers there

Sort of. Two things:

1) The spectrum was a menace because of the fans (90% blue collar and 10% corporate).

2) The key arena is more spread out (ie not a bowl like the spectrum). Add to that, that the disposition of Seattleites is very mild mannered. Sometimes you can take a nap at Key Arena.

Archived