Is NHL Expansion to Vegas a done deal?

hf101

Sort of. Two things:

1) The spectrum was a menace because of the fans (90% blue collar and 10% corporate).

2) The key arena is more spread out (ie not a bowl like the spectrum). Add to that, that the disposition of Seattleites is very mild mannered. Sometimes you can take a nap at Key Arena

their loud at seahawks games

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah and you can hear crickets chirp at Mariners games. :-)

no it gets loud.. i went to see the phillies play there a couple of years ago..granted it there was about 25,000 (yes 25k) phillies fans there  :ph34r:

I can't get on board with any article that suggests expansion in Toronto. Couldn't even get a team in Hamilton (who is that guy that had rims technology and wanted a team there?).

Outside of territorial issues, any "expansion" team must have a new state of the art arena- or at least willing to build it. The washington tax payers have stuck their thumb up their collective asrses in that regard. That is why there is no longer a basketball team in Seattle (hello Kansas City).

Las Vegas actually has a plan and investors to build a sports arena that can house professional sports etc. So, scratch Seattle and Toronto off the list (and even hamilton- because both Buffalo and Toronto will scream bloody murder).

Las Vegas and Quebec City are the top two IMO.

I just can't see a team going to Vegas, in any sport.  Regarding Seattle,, has an arena even been approved yet?  I read that the buyer or whoever would not approve anything until they have 100% sure to land an NBA team.  I know I heard Gary Bettman tried to get them to approve it they were guarenteed an NHL team, but I don't think that went anywhere.  From my understanding they are after NBA.

Kansas City on the other hand, does have a state of the art arena that was built in 2008 I think?  Right across the street from the new district that has like 50 bars / restaurants. It's been quiet on the KC end, but I have heard they are multiple suitors wanting to get in on it if it is possible.  Sprint Center even offered free rent to any team that comes.

I think Quebec and KC are the top two.  (Hopefully at least)

I just can't see a team going to Vegas, in any sport.

Vegas is not as odd as you might think. They do have a junior hockey team there and I also think a semi-pro team (similar to like the ECHL).

For me it would be can they draw the fan base.

Regarding Seattle,, has an arena even been approved yet?

I haven't paid attention to it lately, but I am pretty sure an arena has not been approved. Many folks there are still stinging from the payout for the baseball / football stadium. If they are going to spend tax payer dollars, I think the sentiment is it would be much better spent on a light rail system. I5 and I405 are just a cluster eff during rush hour.

I read that the buyer or whoever would not approve anything until they have 100% sure to land an NBA team.

Yeah and the whole reason why the supersonics moved was because of an antiquated arena.

Kansas City on the other hand, does have a state of the art arena that was built in 2008 I think?

Yup and thus why the Supersonics moved there.

I think Quebec and KC are the top two. (Hopefully at least)

I totally agree. The only thing about KC that I wonder about is if they can generate the fan base.

I totally agree. The only thing about KC that I wonder about is if they can generate the fan base.

If they can get 54 straight sellouts for Sporting KC (Their MLS team)  I don't think they would have any problem with the NHL

If they can get 54 straight sellouts for Sporting KC (Their MLS team) I don't think they would have any problem with the NHL

Good point and I did not know that.

Who would of thunk that soccer would be so popular in Kansas City!

Archived