Leon Draisaitl

hf101

I read an article suggesting that the 3rd pick of the 2014 draft, Leon Draisaitl, could be a possible Calder Cup candidate this season as he would likely start as the second line center since Gagner was traded to the Coyotes via Tampa Bay. 

The 6'1" 210 18 yr old Draisaitl is known as a strong possession puck player and recently scored 6 points in 6 games at the 2014 World Junior Championships for Germany. 

I have to say I'm not that familiar with the Draisaitl and I'm looking forward to seeing where he fits inwith the Oilers.  I would have thought a healthy line up would see Hall as the #1 center and RNH would line up as the #2 center.

What do others think, will Draisaitl really center the second line for the Oilers this season? 

@hf101  Hall has made it clear he's not comfortable at center, so if it did happen, it would be against his wishes. Personally, having seen him play both positions many, many times in Windsor, he skill set is better used at wing. I think Leon get's the second line center by default, they don't have anyone nearly as talented that is ready for a top 6 role.

@hf101

@jammer2

Draisaitl certainly gets credit for carrying an otherwise poor PA team, but I'm not certain is ready for pro. I like the type of player he is - similar to Barkov IMO - but, like Barkov, he is not the greatest skater. The difference is Barkov had played pro for two years in Finland before suiting up for the Panthers last year. 

@Podein25  I can agree with the Barkov-Leon comparison. Although 6'1 and 210 lbs sounds like Leon has a decent frame, he is not overly aggressive and would have problems with the physical rigors of the NHL. Both those guys have great vision and use those around them better. Leon would put up a fair amount of pts having a winger like Eberle. I don't think anyone else on the Oilers roster would have anything close to Leon's vision and overall command of the game. In the end, the Oilers have to decide if playing in the NHL would be detrimental to his development. Lot's of pros and cons to weigh here.

In the end, the Oilers have to decide if playing in the NHL would be detrimental to his development

Exactly. I think he could make it as he is precisely what they need (and have consistently not drafted up to now),and it's not like there's much else there unless a guy like Lander could raise his game and become a 2nd line center?!?!

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd bump this thread with the news that Draisaitl will be sent back to his junior team as early as Saturday.

Not only did the Oilers burn a year off the entry level contract but they failed to loan him to the World Juniors with team Germany.

:mad:

Why the hell they didn't loan him to the junior team is beyond belief. Its pretty clear to the entire hockey world he's not ready for NHL hockey quite yet. Yet another feather in the dunce cap of Oiler management.

@hf101

Criminal negligence on their part. How can Lowe and MacTavish even look in the mirror in the morning? Absolutely shameful.

Why the hell they didn't loan him to the junior team is beyond belief.

It was shameful to say the least. Germany has sworn to never work with the Oilers in the future, should they ever choose to draft a German again. There is no reason why they had to do this. Like many have stated, he's going back to junior anyways, so to deny Germany their Gretzky, and to deny Leon the chance to compete in this tourny.....it truly is shameful. For Germany, it's the difference to winning a couple games and avoiding relegation in the next WJC. Shameful.

Archived