5 Players who made a name for themselves at the WJHC

Guest habsguy26

Hey everyone, just a little blog here to keep you guys updated on the World Juniors in Edmonton. Canada plays Russia tonight in the semis -- a rematch of last year's gold medal game and the infamous 3rd period collapse of Mark Visentin and Team Canada.

Today, I will be telling you people who may not be following the World Juniors, who is making a big name for themselves. I'll also throw in who is disappointing me the most. So without further ado, I'm just gonna jump right into it.

post-313-0-33650400-1325621540_thumb.jpg5) Scott Wedgewood - G, Team Canada

NHL Team: New Jersey Devils, Drafted in 2010 (3/84)

GP: 2, GAA: 1.00, SV%: .966

Scott has won both of his games in goal and gets the call tonight against Russia. He is a very good butterfly goalie who covers the bottom of the net well. Look for him to be in the NHL soon and take up what Martin Brodeur leaves off in New Jersey.

4) Andrei Vasilevski - G, Team Russia post-313-0-94165100-1325620977_thumb.jpg

NHL Team: Draft eligible in 2012

GP: 4, GAA: 1.23, SV%: .973

Vasilevski has been fantastic during his tenure with Team Russia this World Juniors. He best game came in his last one against the Czech Republic, where he made 38 saves (most in the 3rd period, and all being spectacular). He is only 17 years old, and he is already being dubbed "Emperor Vasilevski" back home in Russia, apparently. Look for him to be picked in the top 3 rounds in his draft year (maybe even the 1st round)

3) Teemu Pulkkinen - RW, Team Finland

NHL Team: Detroit Red Wings, Drafted in 2010 (4/111)

GP: 5, G: 6, A: 4, P: 10

post-313-0-09661500-1325622310_thumb.jpg

It appears that Detroit's superior scouting system has another late draft robbery. Pulkkinen has showed flashes of excellent talent and leadership qualities and may be the next superstar in Detroit. He is so fast for a player his age, it is unbelievable. He's also been playing with men since he was 16. You may see him lace up the skates for the Wings as early as next year.

2) Mark Stone - RW, Team Canada post-313-0-87919000-1325622724_thumb.jpg

NHL Team: Ottawa Senators, Drafted in 2010 (6/178)

GP: 4, G: 7, A: 2, P: 9

The only reason why Mark Stone wasn't a 1st rounder in 2010 was because scouts weren't sure if he would be able to recover from a serious concussion. Well, I think its safe to say, he has. The forward has been Team Canada's go-to-guy, 5 on 5 and on the power play, even spending some time on the PK. It appears Stone is the complete package.

1) Petr Mrazek - G, Czech Republic post-313-0-26956600-1325623156_thumb.jpg

NHL Team: Detroit Red Wings, Drafted in 2010 (5/141)

GP: 5, GAA: 2.59, SV%: .927

Another gem for Detroit late in the draft. His stats aren't as pretty as Wedgewood's or Vasilevski's, but Mrazek has easily provided MVP goaltending for this mediocre at best Czech Republic team, and keeps them in every single game. Look for him in the NHL soon. Very soon.

Edited by habsguy26