Update: Rule Changes for the 2014-15 Season

hf101

To be voted upon prior to 2014-15 season by the NHL Board of Governors.

• The trapezoidal areas behind each net in which goaltenders are allowed to play the puck are to be made 4 feet (1.2 m) wider than their current width.
  • The width of the hashmarks outside the faceoff circles will be extended from their current 3.5 feet to five feet.
  • Prior to any overtime period, both teams will change ends and the ice will be dry-scraped by an ice resurfacer. The league hopes that the "long line changes" and the better ice surfaces will increase scoring in overtime, and thus decrease shootouts.
  • Coaches no longer have to submit a list of shootout participants as it begins. The coaches will be free as to who they will pick next.
  • Teams that ice the puck can only use one center to take the ensuring faceoff. If that player attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time, he'll get a two-minute delay-of-game penalty.
  • The NHL's "situation room" will have more latitude to conduct video reviews of goals that don't fall under the guidelines of what can be reviewed but that clearly weren't scored legally.
  • The wording "embellishment" will be changed to allow an escalating scale of fines to repeat-offense players and coaches.  

The wording "embellishment" will be changed to allow an escalating scale of fines to repeat-offense players and coaches.  
o what will the twins and sid the kid do now..o wait they never get called in the first place  :ph34r:

To be voted upon prior to 2014-15 season by the NHL Board of Governors.

• The trapezoidal areas behind each net in which goaltenders are allowed to play the puck are to be made 4 feet (1.2 m) wider than their current width.
  • The width of the hashmarks outside the faceoff circles will be extended from their current 3.5 feet to five feet.
  • Prior to any overtime period, both teams will change ends and the ice will be dry-scraped by an ice resurfacer. The league hopes that the "long line changes" and the better ice surfaces will increase scoring in overtime, and thus decrease shootouts.
  • Coaches no longer have to submit a list of shootout participants as it begins. The coaches will be free as to who they will pick next.
  • Teams that ice the puck can only use one center to take the ensuring faceoff. If that player attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time, he'll get a two-minute delay-of-game penalty.
  • The NHL's "situation room" will have more latitude to conduct video reviews of goals that don't fall under the guidelines of what can be reviewed but that clearly weren't scored legally.
  • The wording "embellishment" will be changed to allow an escalating scale of fines to repeat-offense players and coaches.  

How the heck can they police that?

Ref's motion like they are going to drop the puck, guys react, one gets kicked out. I don't doubt that some do intentionally buy time by getting kicked out of the circle, but at most, it buys 4 seconds if the forward argues it.

Why? He was the best puck handling goalie in the league. It would make his value go up right now if anything lol.

And it's happening now that he looks to be headed for a much reduced role. Lol

The trapezoid was an absolute joke to begin with. Teams whose goalies couldn't handle the puck whined enough so that the league would limit teams whose goalies could. Not surprised they're allowing more room for goalies to handle the puck now that one of the main player's the rule was designed for is on his way out.

NHL announces rules changes for 2014-15 season

Thursday, 09.11.2014 / 3:00 PM / News
NHL.com

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today a series of rules changes for the 2014-15 season, following approval earlier in the summer by the League's Board of Governors and the National Hockey League Players' Association:

Rule 1.8 – Rink - Goalkeeper's Restricted Area

The trapezoid will be expanded by two feet from the goal post on both sides of the net.

Rule 23 – Game Misconduct Penalties

A new Game Misconduct category will be created. Clipping, charging, elbowing, interference, kneeing, head-butting and butt-ending move from the general category into the same category as boarding and checking from behind ("Physical Fouls"), whereby a player who incurs two such game misconducts in this category would now be automatically suspended for one game.

Rule 24 – Penalty Shot

The 'Spin-O-Rama' move, as described in Section 24.2 of the 2013-14 NHL Rule Book, will no longer be permitted either in Penalty Shot situations or in the Shootout.

Rule 38 – Video Goal Judge

Video review will be expanded in the following areas:

* Rule 38.4 (viii) has been modified to allow broader discretion to Hockey Operations to assist the referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g., to ensure they are "good hockey goals"). The revised Rule will allow Hockey Operations to correct a broader array of situations where video review clearly establishes that a "goal" or "no goal" call on the ice has been made in error. The new expanded rule will also allow Hockey Operations to provide guidance to referees on goal and potential goal plays where the referee has blown his whistle (or intended to blow his whistle) after having lost sight of the puck.

* In reviewing "Kicked in Goals," Hockey Operations will require more demonstrable video evidence of a "distinct kicking motion" in order to overrule a "goal" call on the ice, or to uphold a "no goal" call on the ice.

Rule 57 – Tripping

The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.

But, in situations where a penalty shot might otherwise be appropriate, if the defending player "dives" and touches the puck first (before the trip), no penalty shot will be awarded. (In such cases, the resulting penalty will be limited to a two-minute minor penalty for tripping.)

Rule 64 – Diving / Embellishment

The supplementary discipline penalties associated with Rule 64.3 (Diving/Embellishment) will be revised to bring attention to and more seriously penalize players (and teams) who repeatedly dive and embellish in an attempt to draw penalties. Fines will be assessed to players and head coaches on a graduated scale outlined below.

Incident # Player Fine(s) Head Coach Fine(s) 1 Warning N/A 2 $2,000 N/A 3 $3,000 N/A 4 $4,000 $2,000 5 $5,000 $3,000 6 $5,000 $4,000 7 $5,000 $5,000 8 $5,000 $5,000

Rule 76 – Face-offs

To curb delay tactics on face-offs after icing infractions, in situations where the defending team is guilty of a face-off violation, following an icing, the defending player who is initially lined up for the face-off will be given a warning, but will be required to remain in the circle to take the face-off. A second face-off violation by the defending team in such situation will result in a two minute minor bench penalty.

Rule 84 – Overtime

* Teams will switch ends prior to the start of overtime in the regular season.

* The entire ice surface will undergo a "dry scrape" prior to the start of overtime in the regular season.

* The procedure requiring the head coach to submit a list of the first three shooters in the shoot-out has been eliminated.

Rule 85 – Puck Out of Bounds

There have been further rule changes made relating to face-off location to avoid penalizing teams for plays intended to create bona fide scoring opportunities. Specifically, the following are "categories of plays" where face-offs will remain in the attacking zone despite the fact that the attacking team was technically responsible for the stoppage in play: Shots at the net by a player on the attacking team where: (i) the shot breaks the glass; (ii) the shot goes off the side of the net and deflects out of play; (iii) the shot goes off the dasher boards or glass and deflects out of play; (iv) the shot is tipped or deflected out of play by a teammate; and (v) the shot becomes wedged in or on the exterior of the goal net.

In addition, the following rule change will be enacted for the 2014 preseason and may be continued for the 2014/15 regular season if approved by the League and the NHLPA.

Rule 1.9 – Rink – Face-off Spots and Circles – Ice Markings/Hash Marks

The hash marks at the end zone circles will be moved from three feet apart to five feet, seven inches apart (international markings).

I like the idea of doing things to minimize shoot outs but why not just get rid of them altogether? Now I have spend an extra 15 mins at a game that is already going late for a lousy 5 mins of OT and still potentially a shoot out for them to resurface? Ugh my wife is going to love those nights.

I like the idea of doing things to minimize shoot outs but why not just get rid of them altogether? Now I have spend an extra 15 mins at a game that is already going late for a lousy 5 mins of OT and still potentially a shoot out for them to resurface? Ugh my wife is going to love those nights.

Because the league, players, and fans want wins and losses.  ;)

Because the league, players, and fans want wins and losses.  ;)

Yes because "ties are like kissing your sister" as they kept telling us.  (I don"t have a sister so I wouldn't know...I have kissed other guy's sisters that I was dating BTW and it was actually really nice) 

Hmm...interesting set of things to consider. I will weigh in on two of them.

1---- Trapezoid widening.

I like this one. It will help illustrate yet another facet to certain goaltenders games to be able to be more involved in the actual defensive play (aside from actually stopping the puck), and offensive play as well, as a good handler can be like a 3rd defenseman with a good crisp outlet pass to start a rush the other way.

I've always thought that was a pretty exciting part of puck recovery from the defensive team....and it can also be an adventure if said goalie THINKS he is a good puck handler, and it turns out he couldn't stick handle out of the proverbial phone booth....  :D

Either way, a bit of brain power would have to go into a goalie's decision as to whether he wants to attempt to play the puck or not...now with MORE room to do so!

As an add on goalie play: I would like to see something where goaltenders CAN be treated like regular skaters should they decide to leave the crease area, skate up towards center to play a puck.

I am not suggesting that players be allowed to ramrod those guys, but body checking them SHOULD be allowed if the goalie decides he wants to leave the safety of his crease in order to play the puck and give his team (particularly his PP) an edge over the penalty killers. This would add a bit more strategy to not only the PP, but even strength as well for goalies, as again, they have to decide risk/reward for their actions in leaving the crease.

I would even go so far as to apply those same checking rules to a goalie trying to play the puck in the trapezoid area.....he can be bumped, stick lifted by an opposing player with their stick, etc...just like they would a regular skater.

Obviously, no tripping, head shots etc, and refs should be keener on those, be even stricter than calls on regular skatesr, and call a penalty RIGHT AWAY if opposing players try to take extra liberties on a goalie in that way...perhaps a double minor for 'roughing the goaltender' instead of the usual 2 min....that way, it is enough of a punishment for players trying to push the envelope on hitting a netminder outside his crease, but smart, yet physical players can still check the goaltender and make him pay for wandering from his crease and playing the puck.

Why this on the goalie?

I just hate it when a goalies skates way out of his crease, knowing full well the other team isn't supposed to touch him, and he just gets in the way, and some goalies, will do that purposely just to draw a crappy penalty if another player even wiffs his way.

Goalies should be perfectly safe in their crease, and they will have a bit more protection on being checked, but should NOT be totally immune to checking if they want to play the role of 'skater'.  Just my opinion on that.

2----Not being able to use two centers?

I am not sure I fully understand this one.

I mean, I DO understand it, but it makes little sense. IF anything, I see potential problems with trying to enforce this.

Like JoeT said, who is to determine if a guy got kicked out on purpose??

I know guys do that, but really, unless it is blatantly, stupidly obvious, that is something that is hard to tell.

This will only lead to teams getting upset because some ref made a judgement that say, Valteri Filppula got kicked out on purpose, just so Stamkos can take the faceoff (because Stamkos is now a WINGER ref...for this play...not a center...).......see what I mean?

Just a very difficult thing to enforce....and the refs have a hard enough time policing EASIER areas of the game...let's not complicate things further for them by adding some arbitrary thing like this.

There is a certain gamesmanship that goes on at the face off dot...some players, while not being big scoreboard producers are very good at this...the positioning and mind games that go with wining a face off....let's not take that away from them please...just leave that alone.

According to Elliot Friedman there will be an internal audit for goalie interference and missed off sides calls this season.   This looks like the next step to giving coaches a red flag for certain missed calls.

Friedman calls it " Shadow Replay "

As part of this plan, the on-ice officials were asked to make a change in focus during their recent pre-season training camp. With more cameras around the net, Murphy and NHL VP/director of officiating Stephen Walkom asked the two referees and two linesmen to focus on the action in front of the crease more than normal.

(The NHL is working on adding another camera inside the post. Details below.)

“The most important part of the game is the puck crossing the line,” Walkom said. “Historically, the referees are always looking at the net, but that’s something that’s being looked at by four or five cameras. So, (referees and linesmen) don’t need to determine if the puck crossed the line, we need to determine if the goalie can do his job in the blue paint, so we don’t have goals called under those circumstances.

“We want the referees to know where the puck is, but the priority should be: Where is the offensive player in regards to the goalie? And, is he interfering with the goalie? You can always check where the puck is.”

It will be an adjustment for the zebras, since they are used to a different philosophy. To help with this, linesmen are allowed to help make the call, and the four can conference on-ice to discuss what they’ve seen.

During the playoffs, several referees privately said they support the idea of video review if it would help them get the call right. The league’s concern is that the rule is too subjective at this point. This is a sensible, logical step to try and bridge that gap. “I’m glad we are taking our time,” Walkom said. “If we miss a puck crossing the line, we will be able to get help from the Situation Room to get that right. What we are not going to be able to get help with is whether or not the goalie was interfered with.”

The Situation Room will also detail any missed offsides where a goal was scored. There is large internal debate about this, because of varying opinions about how long a missed call is relevant. “The question will be, ‘How was it scored?’ Murphy said. “Was it on the rush? Was it five seconds later? Was there a cycle after offside? What if the goalie makes a save and then there’s more play before a score? Is there a way to make a rule?”

All of this will be tagged to see if there’s an answer. “My personal opinion is if they don’t score off the rush that’s it, but our legal people disagree. They say the play is tainted,” Murphy said.

Just as the officials were asked to change how they handled net-front play, linesmen were asked to make a change in how they handled offside. “When we looked at footage last year during the Olympic break, we talked about support,” Walkom said. “You would never overrule your partner on offside… very rarely would that happen. If there is a movement to go to video replay, before we do that, let’s optimize the guys we have on the ice.

“Instead of, ‘This is my line,’ we want to change it to, ‘This is our line, this is our call.’ Errors came where a guy far across the ice was offside, but the linesman couldn’t see him, because there were bodies in the way. Now, you might see plays where one guy waves it off, but the other guy across ice blows it dead. It’s OK to do that.

“If we do that on a consistent basis.. We’ll have very few cases of goals on offsides. The numbers will be very low. Our officials are proud guys. They want take ownership of it.”

The other thing this experiment allows is for the league to understand how long it takes to review these calls. That’s a big concern, since the NHL doesn’t want games getting any longer. As Walkom says, “If we can avoid slowing down the game, why wouldn’t we do that?”

“At the end of the week, we’re going to review… to establish criteria internally of what is and what isn’t goalie interference. Then we’re going to report that to the general managers and say, ‘This is what we’ve found.’ We’re trying to discover if it is realistic to have a coach’s challenge for this. It would be a mistake to do it at this point in time.”

The staff will look at collisions in the blue ice, in the white ice, everything it can to try and narrow it down. But Murphy stresses this will not go back to the “toe in the crease days” of 1999, where goals were being disallowed for ludicrous reasons. The desire is to see if “incidental contact” and “interference” can be strictly defined.

“If there was a seventh game being played in the playoffs, a 1-1 game in the third period between two of the best teams and the goalie gets clipped, we want to make sure if we go to video review, we know exactly what we are looking for,” Murphy said. “We want to be making the game better, not making it worse.”

Can anyone tell me how these changes will bring back the Hockey we "old timers" remember and love? Think back to six teams, up to 16 teams. It really started to become watered down from this time on. Now it seems like ballet on ice. Except for my beloved Bruins. Boston that is.

I have never liked the ideal of OT or especially shootouts. OT would be OK if at end of OT and no score end it right there.

I disagree completely that it is what the teams, players, and fans want. Teams with better players have advantage and play for OT. Same for SO. Especially a SO. Lets get back to "old time" Hockey. 

• 1 year later...

Archived