First ever KHL game - Wish me luck!

EDI-Flyer

So I decided to kickstart my hockey season viewing into action a little early. 

I am flying to Bratislava for four nights this week and thought I would check what Slovak hockey was on. I find out that Bratislava no longer has an Extraliga team, with Slovan Bratislava playing in the KHL instead...

They have a game Tuesday evening, my first night in Bratislava and good tickets were available for 18 Euros ($21). Whilst I am not particularly keen on supporting anything Russian at the current time I figured that it would be an interesting experience and I am now the proud owner of a ticket.

Point of interest for Flyers fans is that they just signed Kurtis Foster and he should make his debut Tuesday night. Apparently he had quite a successful season last year with the Croatian KHL team in Zagreb.

The team has also just signed Matt Murley, a former Pittsburgh Penguin. He never really made it at the NHL level but played quite a few years in the AHL before heading overseas.

It will be good to see at first hand the standard of the KHL and I will try and take some photos if anyone is interested.

So I decided to kickstart my hockey season viewing into action a little early. 

I am flying to Bratislava for four nights this week and thought I would check what Slovak hockey was on. I find out that Bratislava no longer has an Extraliga team, with Slovan Bratislava playing in the KHL instead...

They have a game Tuesday evening, my first night in Bratislava and good tickets were available for 18 Euros ($21). Whilst I am not particularly keen on supporting anything Russian at the current time I figured that it would be an interesting experience and I am now the proud owner of a ticket.

Point of interest for Flyers fans is that they just signed Kurtis Foster and he should make his debut Tuesday night. Apparently he had quite a successful season last year with the Croatian KHL team in Zagreb.

The team has also just signed Matt Murley, a former Pittsburgh Penguin. He never really made it at the NHL level but played quite a few years in the AHL before heading overseas.

It will be good to see at first hand the standard of the KHL and I will try and take some photos if anyone is interested.

Definitely let us know how it goes EDI!   Sounds like a a great trip!

Thanks for the good wishes guys :)

I booked the trip a couple of months ago but hadn't really given the hockey side of things a thought until a day or so ago. I'm actually really looking forward to it now. I'll be wearing my Giroux Flyers jersey to the game, representing n all that.

Fans are supposed to be real passionate and one of the positives is that there aren't many away fans travelling due to the distance so not much chance of trouble either.

With that said, keep your head down and get a penicillin shot when you come home. 
:lol:

Will definitely post an update and maybe some pictures when I get back.

EDI, what a great opportunity, have fun. Other that the hockey related questions you can report on, let us know of the other experiences at the game too because I'm pretty sure you not going to have a hot dog and a Bud as munchies. Maybe some haluski with spetzel.

Been to prague and sweden for WJHC's. I loved both places. You should have fun. The atmosphere (at least at the WJHC's) in both places wast vastly different (and fun) vs. North America. 

Have fun and send us an update. 

15124528219_917eec057e_b.jpg

On the plus side, the cheerleaders were hot :)

I do have some videos which I may post once I have checked the quality.

Overall a good night out for a reasonable price. Whilst the food was the same international crap the prices were reasonable. You know you're in the right place when the local beer is cheaper than a Pepsi. 1.5 Euro's for 1/2 a litre of the local pilsener, happy days! Take that North America with your 8 dollar Molsons and Buds...

The product on the ice? Well in all honesty I don't think the NHL has a lot to worry about. I was practically screaming several times during the game as literally no one made an attempt to screen the goalie on about 7 powerplays. Lack of physicality was also noticeable.

I would love to have gone to the game on Saturday with CSKA Moscow to see what their level of play was like but my plane time meant this was impossible.

For 18 Euros I would certainly go again if I was in town but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

But overall it was a good experience and the fans were outstanding, such a contrast with North American hockey. I don't think they stopped chanting the whole game for more than a minute or two, real passion and excitement.

If anyone does have any questions fire away and I will try and answer them if possible.

If anyone does have any questions fire away and I will try and answer them if possible.

Thanks for sharing.

Hot cheerleaders always help in anything!!!

Was the guy who committed suicide playing hockey then? An old player or what never heard of him.

15124528219_917eec057e_b.jpg

On the plus side, the cheerleaders were hot :)

I do have some videos which I may post once I have checked the quality.

Overall a good night out for a reasonable price. Whilst the food was the same international crap the prices were reasonable. You know you're in the right place when the local beer is cheaper than a Pepsi. 1.5 Euro's for 1/2 a litre of the local pilsener, happy days! Take that North America with your 8 dollar Molsons and Buds...

The product on the ice? Well in all honesty I don't think the NHL has a lot to worry about. I was practically screaming several times during the game as literally no one made an attempt to screen the goalie on about 7 powerplays. Lack of physicality was also noticeable.

I would love to have gone to the game on Saturday with CSKA Moscow to see what their level of play was like but my plane time meant this was impossible.

For 18 Euros I would certainly go again if I was in town but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

But overall it was a good experience and the fans were outstanding, such a contrast with North American hockey. I don't think they stopped chanting the whole game for more than a minute or two, real passion and excitement.

Thanks for the recap. Sounds like fun. They neutered that in North America  when they let the corporations take over the arenas.

The K is an alternate to the NHL for both fans and players. But if you want to see or play in the best league, theres only one.

That arena looks really nice except for the ice adverts. 

It was redone for the 2011 World Championships, and is still in really nice shape.

They neutered that in North America  when they let the corporations take over the arenas. [sNIP]

But if you want to see or play in the best league, theres only one.

Agreed on both counts. 

Having said that you can still get some of the atmosphere when you watch junior hockey in the smaller towns, and some college hockey too for that matter.

It was redone for the 2011 World Championships, and is still in really nice shape.

Agreed on both counts. 

Having said that you can still get some of the atmosphere when you watch junior hockey in the smaller towns, and some college hockey too for that matter.

True, to a point. Some of the junior rinks have had the life taken out of them as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Hot cheerleaders always help in anything!!!

Was the guy who committed suicide playing hockey then? An old player or what never heard of him.

I dunno. I still think I would have preffered Doug Wilson making some moves via free agency than hiring ice girls this offseason.

Archived