David Pelletier named the new Oilers skating coach.

hf101

The Oilers are not the first team to seek a figure skater as a power skating coach, but it hasn't happened too often.  Pelletier won a gold medal with Jamie Sale in pairs figure skating in the 2002 Olympics.

A rather smart move, as the game is moving toward speed and control I think more teams will follow suit.

@Vanflyer  I'm a little puzzled by this also. I get what they are trying to accomplish, but like you said, the difference between hockey and figure skating are huge. The main way I can see it helping is a smoother transition from forwards to backwards skating.....but the power strides/driving to the net and playing in traffic, how the hell is a figure skater gonna help with that?

I sort of get it, but the techniques of figure skating v. hockey skating are night and day. 

Not really, edge control helps with speed, balance and agility.  Drills that force players to balance on one leg teaches them how to balance their weight over their skates and pushes them outside their comfort zone.  With balance comes power and control and speed.

Jeff Skinner chose hockey over figure skating at age 13.  Up until that point he practiced both daily even, switching skates in the car.  

I sort of get it, but the techniques of figure skating v. hockey skating are night and day.

Not at all. My dad bugged me constantly to take figure skating when I was young as a way to improve skating, balance in particular, but also power. And edge work doesn't hurt, as @hf101 said.

I resisted and dated a figure skater instead in my teen years. Did hockey schools and some power skating classes instead. But one of the best players that I ever played with had been in figure skating for several years when he was young (10-13) and it showed. He skated beautifully, effortlessly, compared to most of us.

Archived