Morin Sent to jr team

pags569

I still think they should have gave him 9 games to get more experience, but at the end of the day this makes the most sense.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-send-sam-morin-junior-team-rimouski

They probably would have, because there's not much to lose. In the end, I'm wondering if they just couldn't make it work cap-wise? Too many moving parts.

@pags569

Best thing for him IMO. He's going to be a key cog in all situations on a very good Oceanic squad. Whatever void he feels by not making the Flyers should be filled by the fact his team should contend for a championship, and the WJs team is also a goal.

I do think Morin will get that 9 game look we have all been anticipating. With McCrossin still at the helm, we might as well wait until the inevitable rash of injuries start to mount.....lol.

I do think Morin will get that 9 game look we have all been anticipating. With McCrossin still at the helm, we might as well wait until the inevitable rash of injuries start to mount.....lol.

Can they recall him mid-season? Even if they could, I would think Ghost, Alt, and Hagg would be the first callups.

I would think it's more disruptive to recall a player from junior.

@brelic  Yeah, they can recall him mid-season, but I do believe it has to fall under the emergency situation type of thing. You need a few injuires to vets I believe. He'll lose almost a month playing for Team Canada in the World Junior Tourny, so his season will be split up anyways. Would be a nice thing for him, to get his feet wet at the NHL level and get a legit feel for what he has to work on.

Cant recall him until his Jr. season is over.

I don't think that is the case, if the Flyers sustain injuries to their defense, it's viewed as an emergency recall, at least as far as I remember.

From NHL.com: The Flames were able to recall Baertschi from junior based on an agreement between the NHL and CHL that states if a team is on its third emergency situation, the club can recall a player from major junior.

that was a whole CBA ago though. Not sure how the rule stands today.

I still think they should have gave him 9 games to get more experience, but at the end of the day this makes the most sense.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-send-sam-morin-junior-team-rimouski

They still can give him his 9 games, its not in the rule book that it has to be 9 games at the beginning of the season...9 games during the season is what it says. So once they get something worked out for example trade GrossmanN or Luke away they could recall him.....for good if they want.

From NHL.com: The Flames were able to recall Baertschi from junior based on an agreement between the NHL and CHL that states if a team is on its third emergency situation, the club can recall a player from major junior.

that was a whole CBA ago though. Not sure how the rule stands today.

I remember the Flyers did that a few years ago when they had 7 or 8 or 9 goalies in that year, and it was an emergency situation. Remember that? Beauregard or something like that maybe? He backed up someone for a game or two. 

What would ten games have hurt?

Send him back then. Or god forbid he responds the way Gagne and Giroux did and doesn't go back.

@pags569

Best thing for him IMO. He's going to be a key cog in all situations on a very good Oceanic squad. Whatever void he feels by not making the Flyers should be filled by the fact his team should contend for a championship, and the WJs team is also a goal.

That's very cool. I hope that happens.

They still can give him his 9 games, its not in the rule book that it has to be 9 games at the beginning of the season...9 games during the season is what it says. So once they get something worked out for example trade GrossmanN or Luke away they could recall him.....for good if they want.

@pags569

Oh I don't disagree at all, I just figured they would let him skate with the team for a few games to expose the areas he will need to improve on. Overall I'm happy with the decision.

if the Flyers sustain injuries to their defense, it's viewed as an emergency recall, at least as far as I remember.

I saw that in your earlier post and had kind of forgotten about that in the current CBA. Truthfully, I think its kind of a BS rule in the CBA. Either you're a pro or You are an amateur. Your drafting team should not have the ability to remove you from your jr. squad once the season is underway. I always thought that was the AHL / ECHL was for (ie. both developing players and emergency call-ups).

@Vanflyer  I actually think the system is ok. There are failsafes built in. I think once you have 3 injuries at one particular position, you are eligible to be recalled to help the parent club. Not many teams go 3 deep at legit call ups at the AHL level. At some point, the guys that pay the bills should get access to the best alternative, especially after exhausting numerous other scenarios.

What would ten games have hurt?

Send him back then. Or god forbid he responds the way Gagne and Giroux did and doesn't go back.

Ten games would burn his first year of ELC. Nine games may not have hurt...neither does sending him back.

Responds the way Gagne and Giroux did? 

Gagne was 19 when he made the Flyers. Giroux was 21. Morin is 19. Whats the rush?

Ten games would burn his first year of ELC. Nine games may not have hurt...neither does sending him back.

Gagne was 19 when he made the Flyers. Giroux was 21. Morin is 19. Whats the rush?

There should be no rush... This kid needs time to develop. Dmen also take more time... He is not ready for the NHL yet. Patience..

Sorry... 9 games. It was being reported both ways.

There's no rush. He just can't play in the AHL and juniors won't help him at this point.

There's no rush. He just can't play in the AHL and juniors won't help him at this point.

He's the captain of his team and simply hasn't shown that he's ready to play an 82-game plus playoff regular season in the NHL.

He can play first unit PP in Juniors, first unit defense and have the responsibility of leadership.

That's a heluva lot he can learn in Juniors.

There are failsafes built in. I think once you have 3 injuries at one particular position, you are eligible to be recalled to help the parent club.

Hi Jammer-

I guess. For me, regardless of regulations, to call up a junior in an emergency situation is kind of odd. If a team has to dig so deep to get a guy out of juniors to fill a hole, shame on them.

Archived