Morin Sent to jr team

pags569

He just can't play in the AHL and juniors won't help him at this point.

Yes sorry but i can't agree with this at all....he will Captain his junior team and play some big minutes on the PP and some on the PK i can't see how playing against other kids his age won't help him adjust and develop further.....even Duncan Keith benefitted from junior and AHL play.

Morin is just 19 and was only barely legal for the draft year he went in, he almost was only available for this past draft (due to when his birthday fell) so take that into consideration.

I'm glad the Flyers sent him back to junior. As good as he was in the preseason, fact is, it was preseason. Plus, he's still got some filling out to do and he still needs to work on his footwork a bit. Better to do that in junior and not get exposed and watch him suffer from confidence issues. If he fills out and works on his footwork (which the two should go hand in hand), I have no doubt in my mind that next season, Morin makes the big club and that by season's end, he's one of the club's best defenders.

He has to go back. No real question.

The rule of thumb for Hexy was supposed to be that whoever played the best got the spot.

morin and ghost played better than the vets.

To me that at least earns then a few games in the NHL so thy can feel what that feels like and know what they're working toward when the go back to juniors and the AHL.

That's all I'm saying and I think it makes sense. Glad ghost is in th le AHL.

I hope he gets some NHL games here and there through the season.

He played better than out vets.

Yes sorry but i can't agree with this at all....he will Captain his junior team and play some big minutes on the PP and some on the PK i can't see how playing against other kids his age won't help him adjust and develop further.....even Duncan Keith benefitted from junior and AHL play.

Morin is just 19 and was only barely legal for the draft year he went in, he almost was only available for this past draft (due to when his birthday fell) so take that into consideration.

He has to go back. No real question.

The rule of thumb for Hexy was supposed to be that whoever played the best got the spot.

How is that possibly true, though? This isn't the NFL where a rookie outplays a vet and you just cut the vet.

There's guaranteed contacts, a set limit on number of contacts, and a hard salary cap.

We can't simply trade some of the vets away; you have to find someone willing to take our overpaid garbage.

So, while "he outplayed the vet" sounds great in theory, in reality it can't always work that way. And, truthfully and realistically, Morin was okay. He didn't blow the roof off. So in the best long term AND near term interests of both the player and the team, the barely 19 year old defenseman is exactly where he should be: in juniors. It's really the only place that makes sense.

And, by the way, I'm glad they didn't keep him for the nine games. There's nothing to be gained by it. He got his cup of coffee in preseason and I'm sure he knows he wants to be back.

All in good time. For a fan base that clamored for years that it wants to develop from within, it doesn't seem it has any patience with any actual developing. Instead, it wants to keep its draft picks and then rush kids and destroy them ala Buffalo and Edmonton.

Let's not ruin a good thing by being finished before we even get the girl home.

It's true i suppose if you want to give your team the best chance at winning.

But Hexy's playing the long game right now.

I just think giving morin 9 games now isn't going to hurt anything and will help him immeasurably.

Ghost will be up the mjnute there's a trade or an injury. Depending on a trade, I'd just as soon wait for the injury.

How is that possibly true, though? This isn't the NFL where a rookie outplays a vet and you just cut the vet.

There's guaranteed contacts, a set limit on number of contacts, and a hard salary cap.

We can't simply trade some of the vets away; you have to find someone willing to take our overpaid garbage.

So, while "he outplayed the vet" sounds great in theory, in reality it can't always work that way. And, truthfully and realistically, Morin was okay. He didn't blow the roof off. So in the best long term AND near term interests of both the player and the team, the barely 19 year old defenseman is exactly where he should be: in juniors. It's really the only place that makes sense.

the barely 19 year old defenseman is exactly where he should be: in juniors. It's really the only place that makes sense.

The AHL makes the most sense, but given the agreement between the AHL / NHL and the CHL, Juniors is the only place he can play under the current terms that makes sense.

The AHL makes the most sense, but given the agreement between the AHL / NHL and the CHL, Juniors is the only place he can play under the current terms that makes sense.

That was actually my line you quoted so I'll respond.

Yes. AHL.

But given the rules, it's not possible so I ruled it out as making sense. I also ruled out dental school for this same reason.

Of the Possible, available, realistic options, Juniors is the only one that makes sense.

I still think they should have gave him 9 games to get more experience, but at the end of the day this makes the most sense.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-send-sam-morin-junior-team-rimouski

I can't fault Hextall for doing it. He's 19 and a defenseman. The chances of him actually sticking around and looking ready are pretty slim. Say they keep him around for 9 games and he looks good, then you are really screwed. You are forced to make a decision about this kid's entire career based on 9 games. I don't follow juniors at all, and he's one of the few kids I'm excited about, but there's no rush. It would be one thing if this was a strong D and there was room for a kid who showed talent, but also had the luxury of good teammates around him. This defense sucks and you don't want to throw him to the wolves as a 19-year old rookie.

They rushed Sbisa and now he's on his 3rd NHL team at the age of 24.

Only in emergency situation. You can't pull a junior off his team halfway through the season cause you traded a defenceman.

i don't think that's a rule, so much as an agreement between the NHL and CHL. an agreement no one is going to break, but i don't think the CBA disallows it, per se.

the 9 game thing is similar, there is no rule that a guy can't be sent back after 10+ games, but 10 games counts as one season burned on the player's contract.  it isn't a rule that you can't keep a guy for, say, 20 games and then send him back.  it just wouldn't make sense to do that.

i don't think that's a rule, so much as an agreement between the NHL and CHL. an agreement no one is going to break, but i don't think the CBA disallows it, per se.

the 9 game thing is similar, there is no rule that a guy can't be sent back after 10+ games, but 10 games counts as one season burned on the player's contract.  it isn't a rule that you can't keep a guy for, say, 20 games and then send him back.  it just wouldn't make sense to do that.

I'm not sure if it's a rule or an agreement, but it's certainly there. Only if you've been decimated by injury at a position can you pull a junior after the season starts. 

The second comment is true. I think Buffalo? did that with Grigorenko a couple of seasons ago....kept him up for about 20 games before realizing he wasn't ready....burned a year of his ELC.

The second comment is true. I think Buffalo? did that with Grigorenko a couple of seasons ago....kept him up for about 20 games before realizing he wasn't ready....burned a year of his ELC.

Luca Sbisa says "hi" (again) :D

Archived