isles acquire boychuk and leddy

AJgoal

Considering the Bruins had to make a move to shed salary I think the Islanders overpaid for Boychuk.  Maybe there was some other offers out there, but it still seems a lot for a 3 - 4 d-man.

I think the Isles are doing this not only to be able to compete a bit better defensively in the Metro, but to add some credibility heading into their new arena next season.

Sure, they gave up two draft picks in a deep draft next year AND Boychuk may walk after this season, but for the here and now, I think they are getting a more than solid defenseman in Boychuk, and that is something they really haven't been able to say recently.

As for Leddy, well, what can you say.

23 yrs old, good skill set, and he still has room to grow.

Again, they gave up quite a bit to get him prospect-wise, but still, I think it's all about the NY Islanders making a statement NOW that "Hey, we wanna compete, we want to show the fans we want to compete, and want to field a confident and competitive team when we move to Brooklyn".

In that regard, I gotta say they did well.

Boychuk for a 2nd this year, a 2nd next year, and a conditional 3rd this year.

Leddy for TJ Brennan, Anders Nillsen, and Ville Pokka.

A 2nd AND a 3rd for this year?  I'm not sure that's a great deal for the Isles for a second pair d-man.  Especially not in a deep draft.   And this is the last year he's signed, right?  Potentially a disaster of a deal if he doesn't re-sign.

A 2nd AND a 3rd for this year?  I'm not sure that's a great deal for the Isles for a second pair d-man.  Especially not in a deep draft.   And this is the last year he's signed, right?  Potentially a disaster of a deal if he doesn't re-sign.

Boston could very well have the last word on this, but the Isles have this season to try and convince Boychuk that Brooklyn (next year) will be the place to be if the forwards group can make that next step in development, the goaltending tandem of Halak and Chad Johnson are solid, and the defense remains solid with Leddy added along with the others already on-board.

Defensively, the Isles could jettison a guy like Matt Carkner ($1.5 M, 33 yrs old of semi-pylon) and maybe even let Visnovsky walk (38 yrs old, final year, $4.72 M cap hit), and they could easily afford Boychuk....then all they have to do is convince him to take their money and minutes.

Boston could very well have the last word on this, but the Isles have this season to try and convince Boychuk that Brooklyn (next year) will be the place to be if the forwards group can make that next step in development, the goaltending tandem of Halak and Chad Johnson are solid, and the defense remains solid with Leddy added along with the others already on-board.

Defensively, the Isles could jettison a guy like Matt Carkner ($1.5 M, 33 yrs old of semi-pylon) and maybe even let Visnovsky walk (38 yrs old, final year, $4.72 M cap hit), and they could easily afford Boychuk....then all they have to do is convince him to take their money and minutes.

All that said, I keep the draft picks.  Oh, and if it's my team I would have fired Garth Snow and put someone competent in charge before moving into a new building.

And I bet you a donut that Boychuk is not with the Isles next year.

All that said, I keep the draft picks.  Oh, and if it's my team I would have fired Garth Snow and put someone competent in charge before moving into a new building.

I will most definitely agree on not having Garth Snow continue to run this team from the GM chair.

But hey, there is still time for the Isles to do that.

He could be in 'lame duck' status as long as the team is still in Nassau....only he and everyone else doesn't know it yet... ;)

Charles Wang is still majority owner, and while I am not sure on the time line, THAT will change as the Isles sale went through to the new group, and I am pretty sure that the new group would rather have a fresh start from the GM on down.

Perception can be huge in the NHL along with talent, and right now, the perception of this team is 'inept'....and rightly so.

Will take a bit of time to shed that label, but swapping out GMs before the move and a bit of winning on the ice can go a long way towards doing that.

For the here and now though, I still say the Isles did alright....even giving up the draft picks they did.

The Isles aren't known for developing young talent anyways (Nino Niederreiter is a good, latest example of this), and guys like John Tavares excel DESPITE the Islanders, so it is probably best to have established vets for now.

Again, they may convince Boychuk to hang around after all....although you are right, that it is entirely possible they lose him to free agency at the end of the year anyways.

They knew this going in though.

I'll take the bet. I think it is probable, but Brooklyn is a far cry from Uniondale and Barclays is by all accounts state of the art.

The Isles, espdcially with new ownership (and a GM that doesn't need wings) could be an attractive place to play for a lot of players.

They may need to overpay slightly - again - but they certainly have the cap space.

Boychuk: Solid non descript player who puts up good numbers because of his team. WAY overpaid.

Leddy: Is that really all that he is worth? Nilsson a zero, an AHL body, Brennan has bounced around forever and signed with the Isles after spending last season with the Marlies. Pokka might be a prospect but 3 years after being drafted he still hasn't made it to North America. I know the Hawks were behind the 8ball but cmon is this really the best deal they could get?

So the Isles now have:

DeHaan Leddy

Boychuk Hamonic

Visnonsky Hickey

Strait and Carkner as fill ins with Griffin Reinhart as a top prospect waiting in the Wings. Not to shabby in front of Halak and Chad Johnson. If Tavares stays healthy and a few of the kids develop, the Isles could and should be much improved.

I thought the Isles were gonna win the Metro before these deals went down. I was thinking the only real holes were the defensive depth, guys like Carkner and Visnovsky getting major minutes is not good. They have addressed that. They are the real team to watch out for. Literally all of their forwards are at age or point where they could pull off career years. I really *really* like the way this team is constructed. Griffin Rienhart could easily be the rookie of the year also. The real key is the goaltending. These moves only solidify that already solid position. Leddy and Boychuck are great at skating the puck out of their zone. The best team in the East just got considerably better. I fully expect Halak and Johnson to push each other to new heights.

You heard it here first, NYI = Metro champs!!

I think the Isles are doing this not only to be able to compete a bit better defensively in the Metro, but to add some credibility heading into their new arena next season.

I also think the new owners to be are putting a bit of a hand stamp on "we are going to change". Wang is / was one of the worst owners in all of professional sports.

That said, the new ownership does not have full control until 2 years from now and even then, wang has a minority "vested" interest.

To me its still a cluster eff. God bless Tavares.

The Islanders got  Leddy and Boychuck and vastly improved their defense... they got Boychuck for two second rounders and a conditional third and Leddy for a few  prospects, TJ Brennan , Ville Pokka and Anders Nilsson.. Good move for them, they shored up their biggest weakness if Reinhart makes it, the Isles will be looking oretty good on the blueline

The Islanders got  Leddy and Boychuck and vastly improved their defense... they got Boychuck for two second rounders and a conditional third and Leddy for a few  prospects, TJ Brennan , Ville Pokka and Anders Nilsson.. Good move for them, they shored up their biggest weakness if Reinhart makes it, the Isles will be looking oretty good on the blueline
I think the Islanders gave up to much for what they received! Isn't Wang majority owner until they move to Brooklyn?

• 3 weeks later...

**BUMP**

And a bit of an update...

From the fourth period dot com

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyi141022.html

Accoring to the fourth period dot com, Boychuk would be open to a contract extension to stay with the team.

If this does come to pass, it is great news for Isles fans who, by the Islanders doing this deal, have gotten themselves a real solid blueliner that adds credibility to the team as a contender....but of course, the concern was that Boychuk would not stay past his final year on the contract that was picked up from the Bruins.

I would have thought that if the Isles didn't have a real plan in place (not a stretch, seeing as how they've pretty much been run 'by the seat of their pants' for the better part of the last 20 years or so), then Boychuk probably would have sought greener pastures, and a big payday, elsewhere.

But the Islanders have not only shown marked improvement already this year, but are showing much promise moving forward when they start playing home games in Brooklyn, NY.
Isles are no longer just John Tavares.
Other players have stepped up and have made the team more competitive, there was a change in ownership AWAY from the hockey clueless Charles Wang, and there is just general excitement regarding the team overall.

I could see Isles management talking Boychuk into staying.
Chances are though, Boychuk is STILL going to want his big payday, so while the Isles may convince him that Long Island this year, and Brooklyn next is the place to be, he probably won't come cheap.

The Islanders DO have some cap space to work with and will have at least two contracts coming off the books (Visnovsky and Carkner) that will help in clearing out some more if they need it.

While just Boychuk himself will obviously not deliver a Stanley Cup, his addition and long term stationing with the Isles....along with other additions such as Nick Leddy, Juroslav Halak......and the ever improving main core of the team, COULD signal to the rest of the NHL that Long Island....nay, Brooklyn, could be a destination point for players who want to play with a winner.

• 1 year later...

Archived