Copps Coliseum Hamilton Ontario- Grateful dead

Vanflyer

Not everyones cup of tea, but say what you will, what the boys did this night was magical. That particular tour,  Garcia was the happiest he had been in a long time. Sadly, Mydland was effed up just to make the show. The (albany) Knickerbocker shows were amazing as well. I went to all 5. Maybe that is why I am just a bit dumb these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSiwB5Xkvi4

The advent of the midi was on full dispay. You hear a garcia playing trumpet and sax all within one song. And the  Weir slashing chords? Garcia joked at one point regarding the midi technology when David Gans ask him if he thought he would be a good trumpet / sax player. Garcia's response (chuckling) " WTF, I AM a great trumpet / sax player".

@Vanflyer  I was there saw the 1st and 2nd shows. The spring of 1990.  For the first one, I sat in the penalty box. I remember being entertained, but not much else. Drank what we called a "puddle", I'm sure you can guess what that was....lol. One of the funniest parts, there was a cop stationed right near us as we freely burned over an oz....it was just pure mayhem. A few times the cop would look back with this look of amazement....a gaze that said, how in the holy hell are they still conscious!  Another amazing part, it was hard not to be fixated on the girls they called "spinners"....how can anyone spin in a circle for hours and not die?  ha ha....good times!  We camped out in the parking lot in front of Copps, there was a makeshift little "dead city" there....crazy, crazy times bro!!

Come to think of it, I think I'm mixing up the tours....the dead played one in Copps, but I saw the multipe shows in Greenbourough NC. Different years though. Yeah, magical was how I would sum it up.

I was there saw the 1st and 2nd shows. The spring of 1990

first time I drank Canadian beer. Went across the border with a bag of schroms in my pocket and already dosing. stupid is as stupid does. For whatever reason, that one show and the one in Albany remain as my all time favourite. Then there is the Philly show in '84 at the Philly civic center that will always remain my be #1. I was sick as a dog, but the scarlet fire is the best ever (even better than the copps version with the midi's).

@Vanflyer  I can only imagine what kind of chemical garbage was in the "puddle" I drank.  I was tripping for 3 straight days, everything was moving, very disjointed....sketchy even....and everything had a damn trail....lol. I would *never* do that today.  I'll never forget the story I heard a decade or so ago....

This guy I knew (believe me, an acquaintance, not a friend) , he was a chemist. Basically, he called himself "the acid King" of Toronto. Curious, I asked him, do you follow a strict formula?  He responded....nah, a bit of this, a bit of that. So, this guy now had my undivided attention....so, I asked...how do you know if the acid you created is safe for human consumption....his answer CHILLS me to this day....he told me he would give out free doses to homeless people. Then, he would go back a day or so later...if the street people were still tripping and delirious, he knew it was to strong....he would then scrap the batch and start over!!  

Sadly, he told me there were people that seemed to never recover....their brain was mush. It was at that moment I realized that anyone making this dangerous and powerful drug was doing so using the process of elimination. There is no way I ingesting anything that somebody is "guessing" on...I just didn't know any better when I was doing it in my younger days.

Sadly, he told me there were people that seemed to never recover....their brain was mush. It was at that moment I realized that anyone making this dangerous and powerful drug was doing so using the process of elimination. There is no way I ingesting anything that somebody is "guessing" on...I just didn't know any better when I was doing it in my younger days.

wow. peace that you are still coherent and articulate. Re: of any concert, always have to be careful- especially with jungle juice.

@Vanflyer  Yeah, I consider myself very lucky to not have caused any long term damage. Had a friggin guardian angle watching over me, I swear!  Should have died a few times over, from alcohol and drugs or just the combo. I now try to help out kids who are doing the same exact things I used to be guilty of. I just try to do it in a very humble context, not injecting any ego or know it all stuff.

My experience and living through it give me a unique perspective...that and the willingness to help puts me in a position to actually make a difference. I've had the wonderful opportunity to help out a few struggling teens, some of them are sober (or at least off the harder drugs) to this day. One of the most fulfilling things I've ever felt was helping out by passing along my experiences. Some of the very best karma you can accumulate  :)

I have had my stomach pumped on 4 different occasions. Vodka overdoses they deemed it. Came *very* close to dying on a few of those binges. I know what triggered my drinking, why it continued etc....I wish someone was around when I was dumb and young, would have been very helpful. Sadly, some people just have to go through it, before they are motivated enough to engage in real change. Some live though it, some don't. I have seen some awesome people lose their lives to drugs and alcohol, heartbreaking, really.

I have had my stomach pumped on 4 different occasions. Vodka overdoses they deemed it. Came *very* close to dying on a few of those binges.

Not to your extreme, but I have done my tour of duty in that regard as well. There was a period of time when Hastings street was my address so to speak.

Great that you made it through and also great that you assist the youth of today in not making the same mistakes as you and I.

The one thing that I have always liked about ice hockey is that it keeps kids off the street and teaches them some good life lessons. The bummer is that its just so damn expensive that kids that could really use those lessons and be taken off the streets can't afford it.

Say what you want about the old man (snider), but one thing I really admire is his inner city youth hockey programs.

Archived