Game #2 Devils (0-0-0) at FLYERS (0-1-0) 7:00 PM EST

pilldoc

DEVILS (0-0-0) at FLYERS (0-1-0)

TV: MSG PLUS, CSN-PH

Season series: The New Jersey Devils and Philadelphia Flyers split four games in 2013-14. Devils forward Jaromir Jagr led all scorers with four points, including two goals. Philadelphia was led by defenseman Nicklas Grossman and forward Brayden Schenn with three points apiece. New Jersey and Philadelphia don't meet again until Dec. 11, when the Devils return to Wells Fargo Center. The Flyers come to Prudential Center in Newark on Jan. 3 and March 8.

Devils team scope: Cory Schneider begins a season as the undisputed No. 1 goaltender for the first time in his career; he split the job last season with Martin Brodeur, who has a 50-31-10 record and 12 shutouts against Philadelphia but was not re-signed by the Devils this summer. Schneider is scheduled to make his second career appearance against the Flyers and first start; he took the loss in a relief stint on Dec. 30, 2008, as a member of the Vancouver Canucks. "After the way last season ended, none of us was too pleased and I think this year, especially for me personally, it kind of begins a new chapter," Schneider told Northjersey.com. "Hopefully, it will be a successful one for this team and for myself. I think we're all just excited to get going because last year we got off to a bad start, so we talked about really trying to get a couple wins early on."

Flyers team scope: The Flyers will play their home opener after losing 2-1 to the Boston Bruins at TD Garden on Wednesday. Sean Couturier scored Philadelphia's lone goal at 4:19 of the third period, tying the game 1-1. Goaltender Steve Mason made 31 saves but couldn't stop Chris Kelly's shot with 1:51 left in regulation. Captain Claude Giroux, who missed the first six preseason games with a lower-body injury, saw 20:17 of ice time and was credited with one shot on goal. The Flyers were outshot 33-20. "We were just a little bit too much on our heels," coach Craig Berube said.

================================================================================================

Well for the first time in about 20 years, the Flyers will face the Devils without Brodeur as their netminder.  The Devils are an enigma.  Not sure what you are going to get from this team this year.  They have the ageless wonder in Jagr, who justs wants to defy everyone and play despite is age. 

Flyers coming off a 2-1 opening night loss last night at the hands of the Bruins.  As has been noted throughout, they played sloppy and couldn't pass to save their skins.  The defense looks....well just what we thought it would.....blah.  If not for the stellar play of Mason last night the score easliy could have been 4-0. 

Giroux needs to get rolling, if not, then this could get ugly real quick. 

This one could go either way since the Devils always play the Flyers tough and it is the 2nd game of a back to back game.

With that being said....Home opener for the Flyers gives them the slight edge.

Flyers 3 (Coots / Simmer / Jake)

Devils 2

Schultz gets ripped by Homer / Clarke / Snider for tripping and spilling popcorn all over them.  You know how butter stains suits!  :P

After last night I am looking for the offense to get more possession time.   They need quality chances and that is something they really did not have last night.   And for the love of all things chocolate - stop w/ the behind the back passes!

Schultz gets ripped by Homer / Clarke / Snider for tripping and spilling popcorn all over them. You know how butter stains suits!

Nice!

I am hoping to see a better job in the face-off circle tonight, especially from Dirty Mitts. If the Flyers aren't pumped from the energy of the fans and the return of the Ice Girls tonight then we can start heading for the bridge.

Bergeron pwned G last night at the dot.

i think Patrice is probably the top faceoff guy in the league , if not the best he's in the top 3.

He's probably why Giroux is suck last night too.  37 looked in midseason Selke candidate form last night.

i think these guys aren't awful. 

I think they need to play a more simple game like ol' @Samifan says and shoot the puck rather than make like the Red Army team in the 80's .

If they play that simple, straight line game , participate rather than lean on their sticks , they can be decent.  

We almost stole a point that we did not deserve last night.  Although we stunk we could have been and have been worse in our past starts.  I think Mase gives us a chance to win every night and we do have the firepower to net some goals.  The fans normally bring it the first night (before going to sleep except for rival games and the playoffs) so on the strength of that I am calling a win for tonight as the Devils are very Meh to me. 

Bergeron pwned G last night at the dot.

i think Patrice is probably the top faceoff guy in the league , if not the best he's in the top 3.

He's probably why Giroux is suck last night too.  37 looked in midseason Selke candidate form last night.

Who ownsaaa da G? 

http://youtu.be/x5Xp9hvTvPk

@OccamsRazor  That was an excellent move, not many Flyers players could have made that move, much less in traffic....a very nice scoring chance.

Is it me or did so many of the Flyers passes just bounce off their sticks like they were just so hard to handle and in contrast the broons passes were crisp and seemed like the had velcro involved because they recieve the passes so well pucks weren't bouncing all over the place which in turn help their possession time it seemed. Oh well maybe tonight they will play better as a whole.

I think Mase gives us a chance to win every night and we do have the firepower to net some goals.

He was the shinning star for me. Him and the 4th line.

Whomever is the PP coach needs to get their head out their ass and teach the boys what to and what not to on the PP.

While the B's dominated on puck possession, there was a point for the taking had only we had a PP.

Whomever is the PP coach needs to get their head out their ass and teach the boys what to and what not to on the PP.

I swear, the one PP looked worse that a Chinese fire drill on New Years Day.  Tell me, how the hell do you give up not 1 but 2 odd man, short-handed chances on the same PP, within 30 secs of each other.  Totally unacceptable. 

I swear, the one PP looked worse that a Chinese fire drill on New Years Day. Tell me, how the hell do you give up not 1 but 2 odd man, short-handed chances on the same PP, within 30 secs of each other. Totally unacceptable.

While I do not have any statistical evidence to support, I would garner that 60% of NHL games are won / lost because of special teams. That number is probably higher, but I am being conservative. The point being, you better have you act together regarding your PP / PK, or else you are going to be in the suck tank.

While I do not have any statistical evidence to support, I would garner that 60% of NHL games are won / lost because of special teams. That number is probably higher, but I am being conservative. The point being, you better have you act together regarding your PP / PK, or else you are going to be in the suck tank.

Yes you better you have one more friggin man than the other team...they looked like none have ever even been on a powerplay before.

Imagine how cool/football would be if they had a penalty where you had to play 11 on 10 or worse 11 on 9!!!!! Crazy!!!

Imagine how cool/football would be if they had a penalty where you had to play 11 on 10 or worse 11 on 9!!!!! Crazy!!!

Make it so!!! no more yardage penalties, just lost of player. 2, 5, 10, 15 and game misconduct! :-)

Funny! Well, there is always basketball to watch.

What's basketball ??  Do the Sixers even count as a NBA team.  There are many well coached NCAA Div. I teams that can beat the Sixers.

Archived