Chris Pronger Hired to the Department of Players Safety

hf101

@radoran

Somewhere on these forums is a quote from Holmgren i believe stating he knows that's not the intent of the LTIR but since it's not written he sees no issue with using it. It's in one of the numerous other threads started over the CBA, or Pronger, or over. 35 contracts, or ice cream, or Olympic swimming, or toyotas, or....

So you mean Holmgren is wrong, too?

I coulda told you that!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you mean Holmgren is wrong, too?

I coulda told you that!

If I get time I'll try to dig up the comments acknowledging it.  Simple fact is... if you cannot ever play again and you admit as much (which they have), you ARE retired whether you choose to use the word or not.  

More irony for you...  the Devils avoided punishment by saying Kovalchuk is retired when he is not.  The FLyers do it by saying Pronger is not retired when he is.   LOL 

Interesting read from "The Puck Stops Here" about Flyers strategy...  Bettman's favorite team is clearly the Flyers!  ;)  lol 

"

How The Flyers Use IR To Beat The Salary Cap

by PuckStopsHere on 10/16/11 at 01:32 PM ET
Comments (55)

Creative accounting is a part of the NHL in its salary cap era.  The Philadelphia Flyers have a method that is unique to them to exceed the salary cap.  They do not buyout players.  Instead they permanently transfer them to the longterm injury reserve.  Any player who has had a lengthy NHL career has some kind of recurring injury problem that can be played up and turned into a longterm ailment.  This allows the team to pay out the injured player’s salary to a new replacement player.  If the player was bought out, there would be dead salary cap space that couldn’t be used.

Mike Rathje is the best example of this.  He last played 18 games in the beginning of the 2006/07 season and remained on the Flyers injury reserve until 2010 when his contract ended.  Derian Hatcher spent the entire 2008/09 season on the injured reserve until his contract ended.  Both of these players never played again and provided needed salary cap relief with their injuries.

The current Philadelphia Flyers exceed the salary cap with their longterm injury players.  They have two players in Ian Laperriere and Blair Betts who are on the injured reserve and expected to never play again.  Ian Laperriere has not played since the 2010 playoffs.  It is highly unlikely that he ever plays another game and yet the Flyers keep him on payroll.  Blair Betts has serious knee problems.  The Flyers waived him at the end of training camp because he was unfit to earn a roster spot.  Montreal claimed him on waivers and then returned him to the Flyers when his routine medical showed just how badly he is hurt.  Their careers are likely over.

These situations do not make the Philadelphia medical crew look good.  They let players remain on the roster with serious career threatening injuries.  When in makes salary cap sense, the player is permanently transferred to the injury reserve instead of bought out.  Players may spend years in the limbo of the injury reserve and delay retirements to stay there.

The Philadelphia Flyers have exceeded the salary cap in nearly every year that it has existed.  They have done so with longterm placement of players on the injury reserve.  These players are no longer making any serious attempt to return to the NHL, but the Flyers find it advantageous to keep them there instead of buy them out.  This is one method used in the NHL to exceed the salary cap."

Why the Flyers are clearly Bettman's favorite team... 

Article 16.11, P. 103: “The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is: (i) placed, or remains, on the Injured Reserve List, or (ii) designated Injured Non-Roster. If the Commissioner has reason to believe that the Injured Reserve List or Injured Non-Roster status has not been utilized properly by the involved Club or otherwise Circumvents any provision of this Agreement, or if he determines that the Club has used the Injured Reserve and/or Injured Non-Roster designations to evade the Active Roster limit, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club as he deems appropriate.”

the Devils avoided punishment by saying Kovalchuk is retired when he is not. The FLyers do it by saying Pronger is not retired when he is. LOL

The NHL ruled on the Kovalchuk situation. And even gave them their pick back that they took for their attempted circumvention.

Bettman's favorite team is clearly the Flyers! ;) lol

I'm thinking it's the Devils :D

This is where I come down with @OldSchoolHockey - we lost a season and a half of hockey for no good reason and certainly none of the reasons that the owners were claiming.

Teams routinely spend over the cap (using LTIR, etc.) - and it's hardly just the Flyers. The "poor" owners are still spending millions to have players not play for them.

About the only good thing is that they've closed many of the loopholes that allowed the ridiculous contract shenanigans.

@flyercanuck

Please show me who Bettman has ever giftwrapped for anyone to draft?  I'd be impressed if you got him to do that for you! 

@radoran

Well they won't close the LTIR loophole until the Pronger contract is over.  They've made it quite clear he's in the chosen ones club when they offered him a job is direct conflict with their own CBA.  

The whole thing is a joke... more discouraging to me than the lockouts and strikes..  it's an ethical issue..  when you make the rules, you should not actively circumvent them.  

The second contract with the NHL is a flat out joke. Should never have been allowed. Period.

I am not sure about that. I think the right to gainful employment, outside of the athletic sense, is fair game. Yet in that situation, I feel that the "athletice" contract should be abolished, particularly if said new job is working for the league of which you played for. I know it sounds a bit hypocritcal or double standard, but it just seems logical to me.

I am not sure about that. I think the right to gainful employment, outside of the athletic sense, is fair game. Yet in that situation, I feel that the "athletice" contract should be abolished, particularly if said new job is working for the league of which you played for. I know it sounds a bit hypocritcal or double standard, but it just seems logical to me.

The issue is doing things like giving a guy a CSNPhilly contract on top of his playing contract.

The whole idea is to prevent teams from giving additional compensation to players that is "hidden" from the salary cap.

The League wanted the "hard cap" and they wanted all of these things in it to limit compensation to the players. The League and the Owners insisted upon it and took away a season and a half of hockey to get it.

If they don't want to follow their own rules, don't write them in the first place. And certainly don't steal hockey seasons from us when you do it.

The League wanted the "hard cap" and they wanted all of these things in it to limit compensation to the players. The League and the Owners insisted upon it and took away a season and a half of hockey to get it.

Yes and no. In this situation "player" is no longer able to play AND its not said team that is giving him the job. For me, its kind of a close the door thing, but I also get why the money should still appear on the books.

Yes and no. In this situation "player" is no longer able to play AND its not said team that is giving him the job. For me, its kind of a close the door thing, but I also get why the money should still appear on the books.

Right, but CSNPhilly isn't "the team" either (just ask Panaccio lol).

I'm sticking with the whole "penalty" aspect. There has to be a penalty for making a $6.8M contract into a $4.9M cap hit by adding those extra years.

Assuming, of course, that there needs to be a 35+ rule in the first place.

But I digest...

@Vanflyer

@radoran

Which is why they made the over 35 rule in the first place. To avoid teams paying $7 mill a year from sneaking it into the cap system for say... $5 mill with worthless league minimum years tacked on that a player was never expected to play anyway... (i.e. Pronger)

I have no problem contractually with Pronger taking an NHL job is he retires from Philly. But we all know why that's not happening. So the NHL chooses to violate its own rules at no penalty... Which rules count?

And why are you putting a scumbag like him in there anyway? Setting the aside, the guy can't count fruit loops without passing out and he's going to be part of a judgement call system??

And why are you putting a scumbag like him in there anyway? Setting the aside, the guy can't count fruit loops without passing out and he's going to be part of a judgement call system??

A bit harsh don't you think?? They say humor is a sign of intelligence and Pronger is one of the funniest players I have listened too.

While it is a surprising choice, to say he is as dumb as a brick is completely unfounded.

A bit harsh don't you think?? They say humor is a sign of intelligence and Pronger is one of the funniest players I have listened too.

While it is a surprising choice, to say he is as dumb as a brick is completely unfounded.

Wasn't implying dumb... He and his wife have repeatedly commented on his inability to perform simple tasks ... Counting, reciting the alphabet easily, riding a bicycle... It's more about mental faculties than intellect thanks to his head trauma.

Speaking of funny. I was watching a Dallas Stars game. Daryl Reaugh made the following statement:

"The Stars defense looks more confused than a herd of sheep on AstroTurf"

LMAO

The Stars defense looks more confused than a herd of sheep on AstroTurf"

great line.Podeins sheep might have something to say about that, but other than that, pretty funny. Interesting that he used a sheep euphemism instead of a horse or cow considering Dallas and all that.

Archived