Damon Severson

MadDevil

This kid looks like he's going to be something special. He's only 20 years old and looks like a vet out there. Situations where 90% of rookies would panic he stays calm and makes the smart play. His ice time has gone up each of his first 4 games, and he already has 3 goals.

Really excited about the future of the Devils defense. Merrill has become a rock, Gelinas is improving defensively, and now Severson has stepped right in. If Larsson ever gets it together, they have the pieces to have one of the best bluelines in the league in a few years.

@MadDevil  I'm very impressed with this kid. Looks like a natural out there. You would never know he's a rookie by his play....with and without the puck. He's gotta be one of the early leaders for the Calder. It appears he has by passed Gelinas and Larsson in only a handful of games. Great future ahead for this Severson kid. I can see him developing into a 50-60 pt d-man who can play in all situations in just a few years.

Severson does look good...but then again, this is the New Jersey Devils we are talking about.....the once proud D-man manufacturing plant.

Sure, they've been a bit thin recently, but this current crop is looking to put them back up there as one of the league's best defensman producers.

A bit off the thread topic, but on Larsson?

I think his development is being hurt a bit by too many games being sat out.

Bryce Salvador is taking a valueable ice time and a roster spot that should belong to Larsson.

Larsson, Gelinas, Merril, and now Severson?

Hey, those guys backed up by Cory Schneider should be pretty solid for years to come.

Only guys like Salvadador, and possibly Zlicky need to step aside.....

I would rather have Larsson playing than Salvador as well, but Sal does wear the "C", he's well respected and liked by his teammates, and I think DeBoer doesn't want to risk upsetting the room by benching him. It sucks for Larsson, but hopefully he can get into some games pretty soon. Gelinas has had a rough couple of games, so it might be a good time to give him a couple games off and rotate Larsson in. I do kind of feel for the kid. It looked like he was going to be a regular going into camp and then Severson basically stole his spot.

I'm really not sure what to make of Larsson. He hasn't played poorly over the last couple years, but also hasn't really shown signs of improvement either. For a top 5 pick I think Devils fans have expected to see signs of something great, but it just hasn't happened so far. I keep hoping that maybe he's just on the same trajectory Victor Hedman was. I seem to recall people talking about him being a bust after his first couple seasons, but he's really come into his own the last year or so. While this is Larsson's 4th season in the NHL, he still only has 128 GP. 

• 2 weeks later...

Severson with a goal, an assist, and 27:31 in ice time tonight against the Sens. I love this kid.

He is definitely playing with poise and beyond expectations.

How is his cardio towards the end of the game? Those minutes can wear on a young player fast as the season carries on

So far I haven't really noticed any dropoff later in games, but the Devils have had a pretty light schedule so far. It's going to get busy, with quite a few back-to-backs the next couple months, so it's something they'll probably have to keep an eye on. Don't want to wear the kid out.

Archived