How long does Bill Peters have?

ruxpin

I realize Bill Peters just started and that Carolina doesn't have a particularly good team and has some key injuries (Staal, Skinner has been in and out, etc.), but an 0-6-2 start cannot be good for anyone.

I haven't watched any of their games (who has?), but just looking at the scores, with the exception of the first two games against the Islanders, they haven't had a particularly difficult schedule and have played fairly lousy teams.

And they are being blown out by teams like Edmonton and Calgary.  A midget-league team should be able to beat Edmonton.

They are 28th in goals per game and 29th in goals against, so they're playing neither offense nor defense.

So...how long does Bill Peters have?

I think you hit it on the head in your opening sentence...Peters just started, key injuries, and while I don't completely buy the "team isn't particularly good" thing, they CERTAINLY aren't deep, as shown by how terrible they've been with the injuries.

I think that if Carolina would have had no injuries and Cam Ward plays like Cam Ward can, they aren't 0-6-2.

Yea, yea, I know, lots of ifs, couldas, and wouldas, and the bottom line is they ARE an 0-6-2 team.

But you look out West at Colorado. 

They aren't doing much better either...difference there is, the team won the division and made the playoff last year, the team has lots of talent and depth, and play in a high profile market with high profile players,coaches, and management.

You don't hear rumblings about Patrick Roy being fired, and one would think his Avalanche playing just a hair better than the putrid Hurricanes would earn him a ride on the Hot Seat ride.

Not saying what is going on in Carolina is good, but I think Peters gets at LEAST this season to see what kind of direction, if any, he and the coaching staff can take this team.

Even if the team doesn't make the playoffs, if their seems to be a definite plan and approach on how to fix things, and Peters is the architect of it, he will be given every opportunity to succeed. 

Because really, at this point, the team can't go anyplace but up, right?

The plan in Carolina may very well be rebuild. They, like other teams in their situations, would never come out and say so (has even Buffalo admitted to a rebuild!?), but if you start seeing good veteran players being traded off for picks or young players and prospects, then it is a good sign that Peters is going that route, and of course, that wouldn't be happening unless Carolina ownership approves that approach.

Unless the owners are completely brain dead, they wouldn't have the GM trade off players for future pieces, then turn around and fire that same GM...especially if the returns are looking good for beyond this season.

Would send a horrible message to any future GM's if they did...."Oh, hey, take apart the team, have your tenure look like crap, then we are going to fire you, ok? Oh, and how are the wife n kids, Peters?"

Yea, good luck getting anyone of worth working for the Canes if they did something like that.

Peters is safe...at least for the foreseeable future, IMO. 

@tfg

I agree with what you said regarding GM and wouldn't advocate firing Ron Francis.

I'm not really advocating Peters, either, but man they aren't good anywhere. Just wondering how long he has.

Roy has his name and last season's success so he has some rope, but good point there.

I do think they need a rebuild and that they should have started with buying out Ward when they had the chance. He's just simply not that good.

Maybe Carolina is actually going for McDavid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived