Leggio Knocks Net Off

flyercanuck

Bridgeport Sound Tigers goalie David Leggio (he of a 3.27 GAA and..879 SV %) was facing a 2 on none breakaway the other night when he did the most unsportsman-like thing he could think of...he knocked the goal off. After some deliberation a penalty shot was awarded, and he saved it. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/watch-ahl-goalie-david-leggio-knocks-net-off-during-2-on-0/

What's everyones opinion of this play? I mean technically it's a penalty shot. But the guy turned a 2 on none into a 1 on none by  pulling something Sean Avery would think of. Automatic goal should be awarded if I had my way. Crap like that belongs as much as diving IMO.

Bridgeport Sound Tigers goalie David Leggio (he of a 3.27 GAA and..879 SV %) was facing a 2 on none breakaway the other night when he did the most unsportsman-like thing he could think of...he knocked the goal off. After some deliberation a penalty shot was awarded, and he saved it. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/watch-ahl-goalie-david-leggio-knocks-net-off-during-2-on-0/

What's everyones opinion of this play? I mean technically it's a penalty shot. But the guy turned a 2 on none into a 1 on none by  pulling something Sean Avery would think of. Automatic goal should be awarded if I had my way. Crap like that belongs as much as diving IMO.

Actually, I think it is a very intelligent play. If no rule exists against it other than awarding a penalty shot, the guy was smart as heck.

Quite honestly, I think the league jumped the gun making a rule against Avery's "screening" myself. If a player wants to completely ignore the play with his back turned and waiving his hands to distract the goalie, I had no problem with it. In fact, I laughed very loud. To top it off, the ref let Brodeur punch Avery in the head multiple times with no call during it.

Mind you, it is definitely unsportsmanlike. Kind of like Dwaine Roloson intentionally shaking his own mask off over and over when getting peppered with shots to force a whistle and faceoff because his team was unable to gain possession. Supposed to be a penalty, but it never got called and he did it half a dozen times in the same series.

Quite honestly, I think the rule should be until your team gets possession, a whistle does not get blown in that scenario. I'd be sending a slapper at the goalie's face to teach him a lesson.

So you guys are alright with that as a hockey play?

Yes if it's part of the rules. It's like in football when a snap goes over the QB's head into the endzone a smart QB picks it up and throws it out the back of the endzone yes it results in a safety and then you have to in return kickoff to the other team but the QB saved it from becoming a TD. So in a blink of an eye it's a smart move.

Leggio played here in Rochester for a few seasons when he was Sabres property and was always voted Most Popular Player. I dont have a problem with what he did, he played the odds. Better chance of stopping a skills contest shot than a two on none. Best part for me was when Leggio immediately pointed towards center ice after doing it.

Really no different than a few years ago when Harnell threw his glove towards an opponent who was about to go in on a break away. :ph34r:

AHL just made a rule change. If a goalie does what Leggio did he will receive a match penalty and the replacement goaltender will have to stop the ensuing breakaway.

So they thought it unsportsmanlike as well.

So they thought it unsportsmanlike as well.

I think he did the league a big favor. Found a loophole in the rules and exploited it in the regular season. Could have been game 7 of the finals in overtime. You have to think of every situation that way.

But yeah, d**k move hahaha

Archived