Bryan Murray has stage 4 cancer

ScottM

I'm not a Murray fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I hate to hear this. Cancer is a horrible disease, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

There is not any "good" cancer, but colon cancer is just brutal. 

OTTAWA — Bryan Murray, an NHL coaching giant known for his rapier wit, acute hockey sense and, ultimately, courage in his fight against cancer, has died. He was 74.

The Ottawa Senators confirmed Murray’s death in a release on Saturday. The former NHL coach and general manager, who remained in the game until his death, had been fighting Stage 4 colon cancer for the past three years.

Murray received the cancer diagnosis in the summer of 2014, but he waged a valiant, public battle against the disease, remaining actively involved with the Senators as a senior adviser after stepping down as general manager after the 2015-16 season.

“Bryan was one of the greatest men that the game of hockey has ever known, and also a great father, mentor and teacher,” Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said in a release Saturday. “We extend our sincere condolences to his wife, Geri, daughters, Heide and Brittany and the entire Murray family on their loss.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/former-senators-gm-coach-bryan-murray-dead-74/

Archived