The 2016 World Cup of Hockey

jammer2

The NHL is kicking around the idea of participating in a World Cup tourny for 2016. Some very cool idea's being kicked around for this one.

• "Chris Johnston of Sportsnet: There is talk that the 2016 World Cup of Hockey could feature six countries (Canada, U.S., Sweden, Finland, Russia and Czech Republic) as well as two all-star teams. The first all-star teams would include players from the remaining European countries (Slovakia, Switzerland, Latvia, Germany and Slovenia, among others). The other all-star team is still being discussed. One idea is a top young stars team. A World Cup of Hockey in Toronto could generate as much as $100 million for the owners and players."

First off, should the NHL be involved in this kinda thing?  Do you like the potential teams?  How about the young guns team?  The other small Euro countries could certainly ice a very competitive team.

I think this is a great idea. Right in between the Olympics, it can give us a great idea on who has grown, who has slipped etc on the international stage. The young guns team would be dangerous, and something tells me they would be really fun to watch. Canada and the USA vs the young guns would be a real highlight game. Imagine if the young guns pulled off the stunning victory. This whole thing sounds like fun....count me as a supporter. Toronto would sell out this whole tourny.....what a great idea. I'd like to see Montreal and New York get some games also.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If it actually happens I'd chalk it up as a silly exhibition tournament with no merit to be honest. I think it loses all credibility with the inclusion of "Team North America U-23" or "Team European Leftovers". What is the point in that when countries like Switzerland, Latvia and even France have proven they can be competitive and pull off major upsets? Make it 8 or 16 teams like what we see at the IIHF World Championships and drop the puck I say. I just think its a slap in the face to countries like Switzerland and Slovakia particularly that have a long history of being in hockey tournaments, its as if suddenly they aren't good enough to have their own team.

"Team European Leftovers".

Good Lord, is that even a thing?? How lame is that "Euro leftovers" wtf...If I was a player representing France or Switzerland, I would balk at being clumped on to a team that is called "the leftovers"....what a slap in the face!! This is starting to remind me of the ill fated "rendezvous" exhibition series that was also UBER lame....and not just cause North America got their jocks handed to them, it was poorly designed from the get go.

A World Cup of Hockey in Toronto could generate as much as $100 million for the owners and players."

Ahhh, now we see, as money rears it's ugly head. Consider this a done deal, the greedy owners will have like people that abuse soup kitchens! Will this be considered profit for NHL owners and will it potentially drive up the salary cap moving forward?

Good Lord, is that even a thing?? How lame is that "Euro leftovers" wtf...If I was a player representing France or Switzerland, I would balk at being clumped on to a team that is called "the leftovers"....what a slap in the face!! This is starting to remind me of the ill fated "rendezvous" exhibition series that was also UBER lame....and not just cause North America got their jocks handed to them, it was poorly designed from the get go.

Lol no it's not actually going to be called that, that's just what I see it as. It will more than likely be called Team Europe All-Stars.

Lol no it's not actually going to be called that, that's just what I see it as. It will more than likely be called Team Europe All-Stars.

Ahhh, should have known, that didn't sound very legit....ha ha!

I liked the idea at first. Then I heard about the format. I think this tournament will be garbage for the reasons @92WickedHockey gave. This could have been something very, very good, but I think they ruined it. I know Slovakia hasn't fared quite as well in recent years as they have, but for years we've had a "super seven." I heard Bettman talk recently about the enormous gap between the top six and everyone else. I'd be insulted if I were a top Slovak player.

• 11 months later...

Is this for real? How many of you out there would pay big bucks to attend this "event".

I have an idea for the official name of this "thing" - The 2016 World Cup of Hockey - an Exhibition. Because that's what it will be.

How 'bout that under 23 team? Or is it under 24? Won't they be hyped to win one for the kids?

I don't know about you guys, but I have zero interest in this fiasco. I will not be watching, nor will I spend any money on it. It's a joke IMHO and an insult to all the real hockey fans.  

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

I don't know about you guys, but I have zero interest in this fiasco. I will not be watching, nor will I spend any money on it. It's a joke IMHO and an insult to all the real hockey fans.  

I'll probably end up watching just because I'll want some hockey during the off months, but I certainly agree that it's an insult.

I know they did some of the stupid stuff they did in hopes of increasing competitiveness, but I honestly think it's completely unnecessary. It will already be better than world championships since you won't have a lot of top players missing because of the playoffs, and it has an advantage over the Olympics since it doesn't require a mid-season break that could cause some players to sit out.

Every time the World Cup of soccer rolls around, there are quite a few teams that everyone knows has zero chance of winning. No one cares in that case, so why fret if a couple of teams are less competitive in ours? If anything, this could be a way to grow the sport in more nations. Set up a program in which this is done every four years, and have a qualification system like soccer does. Do that, and I won't watch only to avoid withdrawals. but I'll be excited about it as well.

13 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Is this for real? How many of you out there would pay big bucks to attend this "event".

I have an idea for the official name of this "thing" - The 2016 World Cup of Hockey - an Exhibition. Because that's what it will be.

How 'bout that under 23 team? Or is it under 24? Won't they be hyped to win one for the kids?

It may seem lame now, but when those player slip on the Canadian colours it will be for real. This will be all out blood thirst....just watch. It will be like the Olympics, BUT no lame rules, no bans on big hits etc. I'm betting it will be all out warfare. The exact opposite of the NHL All Star game fiasco.

edit...we are talking about some really proud countries here. Does anyone think the Swedes, Russians, Fins, USA etc will not be playing all out for their respective countries?  This is about saying you are the best, and the winner of this thing will be the best until the next Olympics.

The best at what? These teams will NOT be the best those countries can assemble will they? This 'tournament' has to be (and claims to be) best on best and it is not. How would you like to suit up for a junior all-star team to play against your own country? What glory. ???  Or suit up for Canada and find yourself playing against young players from your own country! It's nuts-o.

Who will you have beaten? Sweden? Well no, not really Sweden's best team. Russia? Nope - almost but not quite. You can claim to have been the best in that tournament and that's all.

It will be an exhibition series only, not a true championship. Just another manipulation by the NHL owners and MILLIONS more in their pockets....

I'm backing out of this conversation now (again) it just gets the poison flowing in my veins as I'm sure you can tell....:5726b7ddacc93_bluehockey:

Only Buttman and the NHL owners could screw up a simple country vs. country tournament so that evryone loses..

So, what exactly is Lombardi smoking with the roster the US has assembled? No Kessel? Callahan over Palmieri, who just scored 30 goals this season? Oh that's right, dipshit Tortorella is the coach. Guess the US is going to try to grind out every game.:572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

On 5/26/2016 at 7:00 AM, BluPuk said:

The best at what? These teams will NOT be the best those countries can assemble will they? This 'tournament' has to be (and claims to be) best on best and it is not. How would you like to suit up for a junior all-star team to play against your own country? What glory. ???  Or suit up for Canada and find yourself playing against young players from your own country! It's nuts-o.

Who will you have beaten? Sweden? Well no, not really Sweden's best team. Russia? Nope - almost but not quite. You can claim to have been the best in that tournament and that's all.

It will be an exhibition series only, not a true championship. Just another manipulation by the NHL owners and MILLIONS more in their pockets....

I'm backing out of this conversation now (again) it just gets the poison flowing in my veins as I'm sure you can tell....:5726b7ddacc93_bluehockey:

Only Buttman and the NHL owners could screw up a simple country vs. country tournament so that evryone loses..

Ok...sorry, but looking at the Swedish roster announced, I can't get on board with your line of thinking.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/world-cup-of-hockey/team-sweden-names-final-world-cup-hockey-roster/

Just who was left off?  With the exception of Ekholm of the Preds, who made it that should not have? Look at the Team Canada entries....do you think Brad Marchand or Giroux will suddenly change the way they play?  The fact the USA ignored pts to a grind it out mentality only goes to shed light on the fact...this is not an allstar game type of thing...it is all out warfare...you will see.

15 hours ago, MadDevil said:

So, what exactly is Lombardi smoking with the roster the US has assembled? No Kessel? Callahan over Palmieri, who just scored 30 goals this season? Oh that's right, dipshit Tortorella is the coach. Guess the US is going to try to grind out every game.:572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

I can sorta see leaving out Kessel, but goals are important, and he scores them in bunches. Leaving out Palmieri, that is just nonsense. He should be leading the next wave of Americans. He was a classic late bloomer who plays with a very nice sense of desperation. I get wanting Cally's leadership...just not at the expense of Palmieri.

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So why am i seeing team north america and team usa listed as two different teams

Because of the (in my opinion) idiotic idea to have American and Canadian players 23 and under put on a separate team.

I understand that there's a gap between the top six teams and the rest of the world, but as I've said before, I think this could be a good tool to close that gap by encouraging growth in more countries. Slovakia has been on a downward slide over the last few years, but having a national team in a major international tournament could help spark things once more. Why not let Switzerland or Germany, which have both seen growth in recent years put a national team out there to encourage that more?

I think the World Cup is a great idea. I really do. But I think the execution of it we're seeing is beyond pathetic

7 minutes ago, ScottM said:

Because of the (in my opinion) idiotic idea to have American and Canadian players 23 and under put on a separate team.

I understand that there's a gap between the top six teams and the rest of the world, but as I've said before, I think this could be a good tool to close that gap by encouraging growth in more countries. Slovakia has been on a downward slide over the last few years, but having a national team in a major international tournament could help spark things once more. Why not let Switzerland or Germany, which have both seen growth in recent years put a national team out there to encourage that more?

I think the World Cup is a great idea. I really do. But I think the execution of it we're seeing is beyond pathetic

So this wasn't a mistake? I thought it was. Just not understanding the label. Why not just team USA and team Canada.

Last i looked Canada was part of North America.

Sorry i'm confused.

• 7 months later...
On 5/29/2016 at 2:18 PM, OccamsRazor said:

So this wasn't a mistake? I thought it was. Just not understanding the label. Why not just team USA and team Canada.

Last i looked Canada was part of North America.

Sorry i'm confused.

The whole idea of the World Cup was to make money. The NHL figured out that LOT'S of very talented kids would be left off the respective USA and Canada teams. There was actually enough kids to ice a very nice team of their own, so that is what they did, made Team North America and put at 23 year old cap on the team .....to capitalize on Matthews, McDavid, Gaudreau, McKinnon etc, etc. It looked lame at first blush, but wow did they ever make the tourny fun!!  So much speed and talent from those kids.

Archived