Walk of Shame

hf101

I just don't get it... My brother is a big oilers fan... Since the golden days.  I don't get how bad they can consistently be. 

It used to be that they couldn't hang on to their Vets b/c of money (Smyth/Smith/Weight).. but they were still quite competitive.  You knew they weren't the deepest team, but they were going to give you a good show.

But now they can't seem to put together a logical roster of any kind.  They can't find goalies/blue liners.... and only have one legitimate center.

How can a team with so many chances at the draft NOT find a way to get a better overall team.

I get "taking the best player available"... but come on... Trade down or something and draft something other than speedy wingers.

I just don't get it... My brother is a big oilers fan... Since the golden days.  I don't get how bad they can consistently be. 

It used to be that they couldn't hang on to their Vets b/c of money (Smyth/Smith/Weight).. but they were still quite competitive.  You knew they weren't the deepest team, but they were going to give you a good show.

But now they can't seem to put together a logical roster of any kind.  They can't find goalies/blue liners.... and only have one legitimate center.

How can a team with so many chances at the draft NOT find a way to get a better overall team.

I get "taking the best player available"... but come on... Trade down or something and draft something other than speedy wingers.

Management. Hands down

-Those Oilers clubs of the late 90s were not fun to play against: Exceptionally committed, hard working, and went to the difficult areas of the ice. Ryan Smyth didn't even stand out in this regard with those teams, the habit of being tough to play against was so prevalent. There was some (but not tons of) skill, but those skilled players worked exactly as hard as the 4th liners.

-The goalie issue is an interesting one. So many goaltenders come to town, play the worst hockey of their careers, and then rebound after they leave. Are there issues with goalie coach Lorne Chabot? I don't know; it's an honest question. I know that after Devan Dubnyk was traded to Nashville, Barry Trotz said they had to work with him to un-do some "interesting" and "different" training habits he'd been made to use in Edmonton that he'd never heard of before. That sounds like a coaching issue to me, though I obviously can't know.

-The question you ask is best answered with one word: balance. The Oilers are all over the place. They have 7 good wingers, and only 2 centres, and when they drafted Leon Draisaitl, I'm pretty sure the Craig MacTavish said "Great, now we have our 2C. Let's trade Gagner."

-The irony is that the Oilers DID try to draft something other than small wingers outside of the 1st round, but they did it ALL wrong. They went after Coke machines, but had precious little concern for the skill of those players. Cameron Abney, for example. Tambellini placed such a large amount of importance on a player's mental approach, that Head Scout Stu MacGregor felt the need to mention that MacTavish (as GM) placed skill as the most important quality to go after. This is a fairly stunning thing for a scout to admit, that he'd previously been instructed to not place as much emphasis in finding skill on draft day.

-EDIT-

-Meant to mention that they have (imo) two legit NHL centres. There's Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Boyd Gordon has a damned tough job and he's very good at it. But, Gordon is a role player, and they much more than those two players.

Management. Hands down

Yes, and it's been that way since Kevin Lowe became GM. The owner has hired his best friend (Lowe) to be President of Hockey Ops, even though Lowe has a terrible management record. Lowe turned around and hired another close friend (MacTavish) to be GM, who immediately fired his coach via Skype after interviewing Eakins for an assistant coach job. The rot smells worst at the top. MacTavish has done a better job of bringing in more actual NHL players than did Steve Tamellini, but the bar is set pretty low.

-He gave Leon Draisaitl (who should be in the WHL right now) the 2C job at the draft. In fairness, I don't know what he did to look for a centre in the summer, but we know without a doubt that he traded away Gagner (who is an actual NHL level 2C) with no proven replacement in line to play those minutes. To me, this is one of the great evils a GM can commit. So sure, maybe he made some calls

-He has only made the goalie situation worse. Dubnyk was an averge NHL goaltender the day MacT took the job, and the first thing the new GM did was to tell the media he wasn't at all convinced that Dubnyk could start games in the NHL. I don't usually pay much attention to the aspects of "clutch play", etc. I think it's mostly hero worship by the media meant to convinced us that not only are athletes bigger, stronger and faster than us, but also better human beings. But, I do think that if your boss publicly questions your ability to do your job, it can't help you at all. So, not only did he cripple Dubnyk's confidence, but his trade value. What was MacTavish going to do; get fair value for a guy whose tires he just took the air out of?

-Kevin Lowe really needs to go, but I just don't see his buddy (the owner) doing that. He just far too much history of screw-ups. Just off the top of my head, in a matter of a few seconds I can think of

* Lowe trading Ryan Smyth over a contract difference of $150,000.

* Losing an agreed-upon trade with Anaheim, which would have seen them get Corey Perry for Mike Comrie. It was a done deal which was held up because Lowe demanded Comrie pay back his signing bonus.

* When asked what he thought of fans being frustrated by the Oilers continued losing, he showed his arrogance by talking about how many Cup rings he and MacTavish have, and stated that he doesn't care what "2nd tier fans" think, so long as paying customers continued to show up.

* Fired Tom Renney for reducing Ryan Nugent-Hopkins' ice time after returning less than 100% healed from should surgery. Renney felt that too many minutes while injured at that age would harm RNH's development and the team's chances on the ice. Lowe told him they were "selling hope" and sacked Renney at year's end.

I don't think they're getting much better with Kevin Lowe in that role. David Perron talked about accountability, but look at the lack of it all the way at the top. Who else but your best friend would keep you in a job you've performed poorly in since the turn of the century?

@JR Ewing

You have my sympathy and admiration for sticking through thick and thin with your boys. Eventually they will turn it around and when they do, and people jump on the bandwagon please give them a kick in the crotch and tell them where to get off. Only a real fan sticks with their team when they are bad for a long stretch.

I grew up as a fan of the Dead Things, God were the Wings awful. We caught the beginning of kids careers who were dealt for veterans in the twilight of theirs. Murray Craven for the ghost of Darryl Sittler comes to mind.

So hang in there guy, it is gonna turn.

@JR Ewing

You have my sympathy and admiration for sticking through thick and thin with your boys. Eventually they will turn it around and when they do, and people jump on the bandwagon please give them a kick in the crotch and tell them where to get off. Only a real fan sticks with their team when they are bad for a long stretch.

I grew up as a fan of the Dead Things, God were the Wings awful. We caught the beginning of kids careers who were dealt for veterans in the twilight of theirs. Murray Craven for the ghost of Darryl Sittler comes to mind.

So hang in there guy, it is gonna turn.

I hope that it can turn around. Since the summer of 2006, the club has been wandering in the desert, and it's honestly pretty difficult to sit through sometimes.

But yeah, you're right. I remember the days when the Red Wings were dead in the water. Hell, they also spent about 20 years going through really tough times with low attendance and rough W/L records, all because Jack Adams stripped down his team out of spite. The Blackhawks are a model NHL team now, but it wasn't so long ago that Dollar Bill ran them in a manner which was the complete opposite.

So... Times change, and good ownership makes such a difference, as is shown by the positive changes in DET and CHI........ And the negatives in EDM. Everybody seemed to think that all it would take is a billionaire owner, and all would be good. Takes more than that.

-The goalie issue is an interesting one. So many goaltenders come to town, play the worst hockey of their careers, and then rebound after they leave. Are there issues with goalie coach Lorne Chabot? I don't know; it's an honest question. I know that after Devan Dubnyk was traded to Nashville, Barry Trotz said they had to work with him to un-do some "interesting" and "different" training habits he'd been made to use in Edmonton that he'd never heard of before. That sounds like a coaching issue to me, though I obviously can't know.

It looks as if the identified one of the issues.  A year to late though

TSNRyanRishaug
Oilers have fired Goaltending coach Freddie Chabot. Expectation is Dustin Schwartz will replace him.

It looks as if the identified one of the issues.  A year to late though

TSNRyanRishaug
Oilers have fired Goaltending coach Freddie Chabot. Expectation is Dustin Schwartz will replace him.

A few things come to mind.

1] This sounds like it's for the best. When another team's HC tactfully finds a way to say that what you're doing is so different that it doesn't make sense to him, something is probably up. Too many goalies have done poorly and then rebounded after leaving Chabot for him to keep his job.

2] The funny thing is that there was no rumour of this move in the media/etc, and when I mentioned it yesterday it was a question: is something up here? The Oilers obviously thought so. Certainly, the track record is poor.

3] Why was I calling him Lorne when I know his name is Freddie?    lol

• 3 months later...

Archived