VERY Impressed by Canucks

yave1964

The Wings defeated Vancouver 5-3 a the Joe today in the only game on he docket. A few thoughts.

Ryan Miller was less than sharp but he seldom is against his home town Wings. He had been riding a personl 4 game win streak including 2 consecutive shutouts, but today he gave up 4 goals (not responsible for the empty netter) and was less than his usual self. Stil, he is a huge addition to the surging Canucks who even with the loss sit at 16-7-1.

Linden Vey ho could not catch on with the Kings because of their enormous depth was huge today with 2 goals and an assist. Shawn Mathias who had been drafted by the Wings and traded to the Panthers a lifetime ago for Todd Bertuzzi was solid with a goal and an assist. Brad Richardson who centers their line was the only Canuck over 50 percent in the faceoff circle. And the guy who impressed me the most, believe it or not, was Yannick Weber who I kind of studied, he seems comfortable in his role and displayed good ice vision.

Now the bad.

The first line was horrible, the Twins and Vrbata combining for no points and a minus 5. Bieksa was wretched, made poor decisions with the puck every period. Luca Sbisa made a mistake that cost a goal.

So why was I impressed?

Mistakes and all, this team never quit, they never let up. The top two lines were neutralized by Babcock having last change and rolling out a feisty Quincey and Dekeyser regularly against the Bonino line and shutting it down, so in essense the top two lines contributed nothing all day and the team was down by 2 twice early and kept battling.  Jannick Hansen chirped all game and played a smart aggressive game, Alexandre Burrows got his fae bloodied and came back out and busted his rear.

In short, in a game when the top two lines were shut out, when the star goalie was not at his best, playing one of the hottest teams in the league i their building, these guys almost pulled one out, an empty netter by Datsyuk late ended their rally. If they play this hard all year I can see why they are sitting on top of the division. The Tortorella/Luongo?Schneider/Kessler  era is over. This Canuck bunch worked their tails off and scared this old Wings fan all game long.

• 3 weeks later...

@yave1964  The  Nucks are getting awesome secondary scoring from Bonnio, Vey, Hanson, Higgins.....even Bo Horvat is starting to heat up, which is a good sign for them.

Most of the team is doing well. Ryan Miller has a pretty decent team infront of him... But i feel like he has been below average, I havent been impressed with him at all. Idk, maybe its just me. What do you think about ryan miller so far this season?

• 4 weeks later...
Most of the team is doing well. Ryan Miller has a pretty decent team infront of him... But i feel like he has been below average, I havent been impressed with him at all. Idk, maybe its just me. What do you think about ryan miller so far this season?
he has to be better than MAF

• 3 weeks later...

Archived