Sounds Like Someone Misses Us

King Knut

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/jaromir-jagr-flyers-jakub-voracek-has-limitless-potential

It didn't feel right when Homer acquired the guy, but it's never felt right since he left either.

either way, reading Jags talking about Jake and G working together, it's hard not to sense the guy really wishes he was playing with them.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/jaromir-jagr-flyers-jakub-voracek-has-limitless-potential

It didn't feel right when Homer acquired the guy, but it's never felt right since he left either.

either way, reading Jags talking about Jake and G working together, it's hard not to sense the guy really wishes he was playing with them.

As much as we all made a collective "eew" sound when we signed him, I think we can all agree we didn't want to see him go. I don't think I've ever seen a post here, on FB, other places I read, callers on sports radio, or columnists in the papers say they wanted him gone. It was a close to a universal agreement as it gets.

But Jagr is on his third team, since leaving here, and only left in '12. If buddy wanted to stay here, he'd have stayed. 

Not sure I buy that.  Homer made no offer.  The Stars did.  Deal done.  It's not his fault they traded him.

And after things in Boston didn't flame on, he needed a new home... and Homer signed Vinny instead.

There's no real mystery or point I have here.  I guess Homer didn't have entirely all bad ideas.  God help me for actually typing that.

But it's sort of telling how hard he seemed to work to not repeat one of his decent ideas.

If buddy wanted to stay here, he'd have stayed.

Not sure I buy that.  Homer made no offer.  The Stars did.  Deal done.  It's not his fault they traded him.

And after things in Boston didn't flame on, he needed a new home... and Homer signed Vinny instead.

There's no real mystery or point I have here.  I guess Homer didn't have entirely all bad ideas.  God help me for actually typing that.

But it's sort of telling how hard he seemed to work to not repeat one of his decent ideas.

UFA's control their own destiny. They can sign wherever they want. If he wanted to be here, he'd be here. If he didn't sign here and was still with the team that he signed with after us, I'd probably agree with you. But he's bounced around way too much to not put any of that on him.

Last time I checked, UFA's needed to be offered something to sign somewhere.

And if Boston offers you 2 million for a year and jersey offers you 3.5 for two years, where are you going to sign?

UFA's control their own destiny. They can sign wherever they want. If he wanted to be here, he'd be here. If he didn't sign here and was still with the team that he signed with after us, I'd probably agree with you. But he's bounced around way too much to not put any of that on him.

Last time I checked, UFA's needed to be offered something to sign somewhere.

And if Boston offers you 2 million for a year and jersey offers you 3.5 for two years, where are you going to sign?

Exactly. He's a hired assassin at this point in his career. He goes where the money take shim.

Jagr signed with the Stars like 2 or 3 days into the FA period. He's also openly quoted as saying he didn't want to wait for the Flyers to make him an offer and that Montreal was his first choice.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/pht-jagr-says-canadiens-not-interested-him

It won't happen and Jagr knows it won't happen. Both Jagr and Jake play RW. If Jagr was willing to play LW, or play on the 2nd line he might still be a Flyer. But he wanted to be RW on a top line so he's gone.

I didn't think it was going to happen.  I don't want it to happen really.  I wanted it to happen a few years ago when he was still here because it made sense.

Are we sure he wanted to be a top line RW and that's why he's gone?  Are we sure he's not gone because someone offered him a contract and the Flyers didn't?  Because that's kind of what happened.

It won't happen and Jagr knows it won't happen. Both Jagr and Jake play RW. If Jagr was willing to play LW, or play on the 2nd line he might still be a Flyer. But he wanted to be RW on a top line so he's gone.

I didn't think it was going to happen.  I don't want it to happen really.  I wanted it to happen a few years ago when he was still here because it made sense.

Are we sure he wanted to be a top line RW and that's why he's gone?  Are we sure he's not gone because someone offered him a contract and the Flyers didn't?  Because that's kind of what happened.

I distinctly remember reading something to that effect. I think that maybe the reason the Flyers didn't offer him a contract was because they knew what he wanted regarding his role and knew they weren't going to give it to him. Jake was going to take his spot on the top line. At that point there really was no place for Jagr on the Flyers.

I distinctly remember reading something to that effect. I think that maybe the reason the Flyers didn't offer him a contract was because they knew what he wanted regarding his role and knew they weren't going to give it to him. Jake was going to take his spot on the top line. At that point there really was no place for Jagr on the Flyers.

you are correct sir...

We're talking about a guy who spent 18 years in the league before ever becoming a free agent once.

The Penguins dished him to the caps because they couldn't afford him any more.  So he tried to make a home in Washington, who proceeded to trade him to the Rangers... to save money and literally ended up paying the Rangers half his salary so they could play against him.

Then the league decided the contract he signed wasn't valid any more because it would be too much money but he dedicated himself to a weakening Rangers team and became their captain and almost led the league in scoring again but then they refused to offer him a new deal... to save money.

Homer didn't make him (or Carle) an offer because he was chasing Parise and Suter (both of whom, he was never going to sign and the whole world knew it).

The Stars gave him a decent deal, but then sent him packing to Boston for Prospects and Picks and then Boston made it public that they had no intention of resigning him.

Then he signed with the Devils because they offered him a decent deal.  I have heard of no offer Homer made that Jagr turned down to "sell out" with the Devils. 

The Flyers were the first team in the NHL to sign Jagr as a UFA.

The Stars were the 2nd (and they traded him).

The Devils the third.

Long story short, after the "loyalty" teams have shown him over the years, I can't blame the guy for not holding out for an offer of less money over a shorter term contract that might never have come from Homer.  His teams have "sold out" on him throughout the entire 2nd half of his career, and I can't once see a time when he ever sold out on anyone for more money.

Maybe he "sold out" to go play in Russia?  I don't know.  I know NHL teams offered him deals, but none of them were "his team" aka he'd never been an Oiler before, so it's hard to say not signing a deal with them to go play in Russia was "selling out"... but I dont' know how those offers comapre to what he made in Russia.  He supposedly wanted to play for his Dad's team and then retire, but clearly that didnt' happen.  He also claimed that 82 game seasons were too much for him and his family, which sounds like a bit of B.S. 

Or maybe he just was tired of the being spurned by the NHL teams he'd given his loyalty by that point.  I don't know.  What I do feel confident saying is that selling out isn't the reason Jagr's playd for 3 teams in 3 years. 

Exactly. He's a hired assassin at this point in his career. He goes where the money take shim.

...but there was room on the team for a 5th Center a year later? 

When the hell was the last time Homer ever paid attention to what position or lines anyone he acquired would play for?

What I'd read at the time is that Homer politely asked Jagr and Carle to sit tight because he just didn't know what kind of offer he could make them until he knew if Parise and Suter were taking his offer sheets. 

Both were offered deals in the interim and Homer lost out on both.  There is no way anyone is ever going to convince me that Paul Holmgren as General Manager of the Philadelphia Flyers gave one iota of thought to who was going to play what position on what line in early July.  That's not how the guy ever operated in organizing his teams.  If he did, we might not have traded JVR for a bum defenseman and signed a career center in VLC to play RW in the 2nd line.

That had more to do with the deal the caps signed him to.  He played pretty well for the Rangers.

He really didn't try very hard. The Caps were so desperate to get rid of him that as you said, they paid the Rangers to take him off their hands.

He really didn't try very hard. The Caps were so desperate to get rid of him that as you said, they paid the Rangers to take him off their hands.

And that was probably the only page in his otherwise prominant career which I am sure he wishes he could've just ripped out of the book.  Not much has worked right for either him *or* the Caps during his tenure there.

No.  He didn't try very hard.

he had:

79 points in 69 games his first year for them

77 points in 75 games his second year for them and then

45 points in 46 games for them in his third year before they traded him.

I'm sure they were disappointed that he wasn't putting in 120+ for them, but seriously?  averaging over a point a game over three seasons and he wasn't trying very hard? 

See my response above.  If not much going right = over a point a game
from a guy 11 years into his career, maybe the caps problems were with their expectations more than their results.

And that was probably the only page in his otherwise prominant career which I am sure he wishes he could've just ripped out of the book.  Not much has worked right for either him *or* the Caps during his tenure there.

That had more to do with the deal the caps signed him to.  He played pretty well for the Rangers.

I was living in DC at the time, and you probably have to understand what was going on there. The Caps were struggling financially (and trying to sell tickets) and Jagr was supposed to be the savior (and he knew that going in). Expectations were probably unfair but it's safe to say that he didn't come close to living up to expectations. He didn't make the Caps relevant, or even popular in DC. He was a ppg player there but that was a far cry from what he had been before, and even what he was early on with the Rangers. You would have a very hard time finding anyone in DC (fans or media) that doesn't feel that he mailed it in during those years. I felt pretty much felt that way too. In retrospect it was probably just a bad match.

...but there was room on the team for a 5th Center a year later? 

When the hell was the last time Homer ever paid attention to what position or lines anyone he acquired would play for?

"When the hell was the FIRST time Homer ever paid attention to what position or lines anyone he acquired would play for?"  

FTFY

Fair enough...  Still feel like that's maybe on the organization more than the player. 

I was living in DC at the time, and you probably have to understand what was going on there. The Caps were struggling financially (and trying to sell tickets) and Jagr was supposed to be the savior (and he knew that going in). Expectations were probably unfair but it's safe to say that he didn't come close to living up to expectations. He didn't make the Caps relevant, or even popular in DC. He was a ppg player there but that was a far cry from what he had been before, and even what he was early on with the Rangers. You would have a very hard time finding anyone in DC (fans or media) that doesn't feel that he mailed it in during those years. I felt pretty much felt that way too. In retrospect it was probably just a bad match.

I still wonder if Homer didn't expect Hextall to suit up and back up Mason.  He was probably surprised when Emery resigned.

"When the hell was the FIRST time Homer ever paid attention to what position or lines anyone he acquired would play for?"

I remember this, also.

Although it may not have come as an official contract offer, I seem to remember the Flyers were trying to sign him for less money than he made on the previous contract. Homer made him sit and wait then along came the Stars with a $5mm contract offer. It could have been because of cap issues.

Did the same kind of thing with Matt Carle.

When Jagr was here he made two overrated forwards look like superstars,when he moved on those two sank. Homer has made so many bad moves(wonder why?) it amazes me he is still on the street with the rest of us.Homer is the Anti-hockeyist,a complete dud. He and Clarkie will probably star in the next sequel "Dumb and Dumpster". I would like to see Jagr back,that line was phenomenal,especially the playoffs in Pittsburgh. This present Flyers are offensively stunted!

I hadn't heard that theory before, but it is certainly plausible.

Archived