World Juniors

flyercanuck

Wow...maybe its just me, but the Danes sure seem to be doing alot of complaining in the Den-Czech game.

Just about every time there is a call, offside, icing, or NON call...the Dane kids are up in arms.

Maybe they have reason, maybe not, but to me, the officiating has been about as consistent as you can get.

Both teams are playing really physical...which that in itself is surprising to me.

Both are being allowed to basically play, so I am thinking, Team Denmark, just shut it already, and play the game!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruins prospect, David Pastranak wins it for the Czech Republic in OT, 4-3 final.

Pastranak was a beast in this game...whether he was scoring or not, the guy was just everywhere on the ice.

Appropriate that he gets his team's game winning goal.

Some MORE complaining from the Danes after that goal, I am sure...   :P

Great pace to the Canadian / Finland game, much like the USA / Finland game.    And  MUCH more intense than the Flyers / Yotes, lol

Reinhard with two goals, the second on a kinda mixed up play due to Domi being tied up in the corner.  The Fins have kept pace in this game coming back to cutting this to a one goal game on a whiffed pass by Morin and Lehkonen picking up the puck for a quick shot on Fucale.  Fucale miss played it and Lehkonen scores on his rebound.

It is going to be a good 3rd period.

The Fins have kept pace in this game coming back to cutting this to a one goal game on a whiffed pass by Morin and Lehkonen picking up the puck for a quick shot on Fucale.

I swear i saw the #5 on his back and thought it was Coburn!!!!  :ph34r:

Great pace to the Canadian / Finland game, much like the USA / Finland game.    And  MUCH more intense than the Flyers / Yotes, lol

Reinhard with two goals, the second on a kinda mixed up play due to Domi being tied up in the corner.  The Fins have kept pace in this game coming back to cutting this to a one goal game on a whiffed pass by Morin and Lehkonen picking up the puck for a quick shot on Fucale.  Fucale miss played it and Lehkonen scores on his rebound.

It is going to be a good 3rd period.

It was a good game...closer than the 4-1 score. Fucale played well, other than the goal he allowed. Morin fanned on his pass but Fucale should have controlled a bad angle shot better. No harm no foul but I didn't see Morin play again after that. Not good because they'll need him going forward.

How does Honka hold Domi (who was the best player on the ice IMO) for 15 seconds and not get a penalty? Domi made him pay with a great pass, but that was ridiculous. The play went down the ice and back and Canada had to wait at the blueline for Honka to let him go.

I feel bad for Morin also. That kind of flub, it can happen to anyone, 1 times out of 100 you wiff on one of those zone clearing passes, Morin just picked a time when the whole nation was watching. If it effects future ice time, the coaching staff deserves what they get. Having Heatherington as the sole defensive d-man would be a huge mistake, this team badly needs Morin's skill sets.

I felt bad for him.

I did to i'm not busting his chops like i would Braydon just making a joke at his expense. I like the kid and think he will be great in Philly for years to come. I think if he was on the Flyers right now....he'd be their best defenseman regardless of age.

He took the mistake hard i could see it on his face. Hell just once i wish Coburn would have that look on his face after he made a mistake...he always has that meh...so what look. 

How does Honka hold Domi (who was the best player on the ice IMO) for 15 seconds and not get a penalty? Domi made him pay with a great pass, but that was ridiculous. The play went down the ice and back and Canada had to wait at the blueline for Honka to let him go.

I'm not sure Domi was innocent in that play. Domi was just laying there on Honka's stick not making any attempt to get up. Honka couldn't get his stick free. Then when Domi rolled over he looks to be holding Honka's leg. Only then does it look like Honka holds Domi down for a second before the video moves to the goal. Start watching at 9:55 mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqQ03vx7AC0

Congrats to Denmark for their first ever win in the WJC!

Salt into the wound the kid who won it Bjorkstrand could of been a Flyer...but they did get another goon...they're in short demand...3 hiden on the Phantoms isn't enough....must horde all the goons!

I'm not sure Domi was innocent in that play. Domi was just laying there on Honka's stick not making any attempt to get up. Honka couldn't get his stick free. Then when Domi rolled over he looks to be holding Honka's leg. Only then does it look like Honka holds Domi down for a second before the video moves to the goal. Start watching at 9:55 mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqQ03vx7AC0

That replay doesn't even show Canada carrying the puck up the ice and having to stop and wait at the blueline while Honka is STILL holding Domi. I mean honestly you couldn't see what was going on because the puck had gone down the ice, then back up and theres TC spread across Finlands blueline waiting for Domi. If it was him holding up Honka somehow...I'd just find that hard to believe. Domi has been THE most aware player I've seen in this tournament. 

Domi has been THE most aware player I've seen in this tournament. 

he's been very impressive. The only other player that I see coming close to making that kind of impact is Petan. Short of one bad give away vs the Finns, which didn't cost us, he's been near perfect. And he's not even playing at his usual center for the most part. He's going to be a very good pro I think.

Night and day from a year ago. He was a perimeter player who made selfish decisions. Now he's going into dirty areas, make selfless plays and blocking shots.

That was certainly the impression I had of him, in part from you and @jammer2 and from my one OHL contact. He has clearly separated himself from the pack. I expect a good game from him tonight. Hopefully McDavid's line (whatever it turns out to be) gets on track. I'd seriously think of getting  a player like Petan with McDavid. It's not really clicking with Lazar and Virtanen IMHO.

@Podein25   McDavid has come so close many times. Some unfortunate bounces, some deflected shots headed for the upper corner, lady luck has not been on his side. Regardless, teams don't score against his line (or any other Canadian line for that matter...lol), so even if the points are coming slowly, he's still drawing the other teams checking lines and freeing up other lines to be matched against offensive guys who don't play the best defense. McDavid's line is also carrying the play, dominating the puck possession and forcing opponents to play defense for the whole time they are on the ice. The opponents rarely get a chance to even enter Canada's zone, much less sustain a cycle. Today will be a HUGE test, because I believe the USA will indeed be cycling the puck, giving Canada some much needed time in their own end scrambling, stuff that will inevitably happen on the way to a Gold....they need to experience that as a group, and as odd as it sounds, I wouldn't mind seeing them playing from down a goal, see who responds in which way etc.

@jammer2

Thanks for that perspective. I guess I'm guilty of expecting magic at every turn from McDavid, instead of just good solid hockey.

I agree with you on the rest, the need to be tested etc...

Should be a good one. If I'm Canada I get in on their D with pace and pound, pound, pound.

Archived