World Juniors

flyercanuck

@Podein25   This should be one of the finest games, for pure skating that we might ever hope to see. Official prediction, Canada 4  USA 3 in the shoot out. Matthews with 2 goals for USA, Petan with 2 and a single from Theodore. Lazar with the winner in a very long shoot out win.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Podein25 This should be one of the finest games, for pure skating that we might ever hope to see. Official prediction, Canada 4 USA 3 in the shoot out. Matthews with 2 goals for USA, Petan with 2 and a single from Theodore. Lazar with the winner in a very long shoot out win.

I like that Matthews kid a lot. Good game so far

@Podein25  Totally awesome to see next years top 3 on the ice at the same time AND the consensus top pick for 2016 for kicks....most view Crouse as a top 10 pick next year also, so just a boatload of undrafted talent out there. Americans have 3 undrafted 18 year olds on display, amazing.

I just can't get over how much Petan reminds me of a young Doug Gilmour. His skating stride, speed, the heady way he approaches the game, Petan is the living breathing hockey double of Dougie...and every bit as talented.

Looks like Morin kinda over committed to taking away the passing lane on that US goal. Even though Tuck did not score, the puck slid by him, that was Morin's man, who easily could have scored.

Yeah you can see the rough edges to Morin's game, but he also made some good plays too, both on the defensive side and a nice little outlet pass.

@Podein25   Yes, the positives far outweigh the negatives when it comes to Morin. Love his calm, cool controlled (and seemingly effortless) outlet passes. Any d-man that is 6'7 is gonna have some issues to iron out, just comes with being a giant and growing into your own body.

@Podein25 Yes, the positives far outweigh the negatives when it comes to Morin. Love his calm, cool controlled (and seemingly effortless) outlet passes. Any d-man that is 6'7 is gonna have some issues to iron out, just comes with being a giant and growing into your own body.

For sure. Haven't seen much of him in the 3rd though...

Thought Morin had a pretty good outing. Made some stick checks that noone else in the whole tournament could have done. A work in progress, but I like what I see. 

Domi was the best skater on the ice again along with Reinhart. Demko played a brilliant game in net. Canadas depth started to take over in the second but just when it looked like they were going to pull away the stupid penalties came into play. If they want gold, Nurse and Duclair (who have both played great) need to reel it in a bit. Comrie was solid until that 3rd goal. Ugg. Still our achilles heel.

Whoever picks first in the draft can flip a coin IMO. Both look like they're going to be forces to be reckoned with.

Thought Morin had a pretty good outing. Made some stick checks that noone else in the whole tournament could have done. A work in progress, but I like what I see.

Domi was the best skater on the ice again along with Reinhart. Demko played a brilliant game in net. Canadas depth started to take over in the second but just when it looked like they were going to pull away the stupid penalties came into play. If they want gold, Nurse and Duclair (who have both played great) need to reel it in a bit. Comrie was solid until that 3rd goal. Ugg. Still our achilles heel.

Whoever picks first in the draft can flip a coin IMO. Both look like they're going to be forces to be reckoned with.

Don't disagree with anything there. Ib thought the big line of Gauthier, Ritchie, Crousse had a good game. And Paul was good too. Good game for the big guys.

That goal shouldn'thave counted, clear interference before the puck crossed the line.  Larkin has been the best player in the tournament thus far.

Great intense game from what I was able to watch of it.

That goal shouldn'thave counted, clear interference before the puck crossed the line. Larkin has been the best player in the tournament thus far.

Great intense game fromantic what I was able to watch of it.

Larkin has been good. He's a faster skater than I thought he was.

As to the goal, I don't think it's at all clear. Under the old rules, yes. For me the issue is: can you carry the pick in with you? If he was sliding on the ice toward the goal and carried the puck in with him, would it count?

That goal shouldn'thave counted, clear interference before the puck crossed the line.  Larkin has been the best player in the tournament thus far.

Great intense game from what I was able to watch of it.

Saw the replay enough times...never saw clear interference.  If they'd ruled no goal on the play, it likely would have stuck too. Demko played a hell of a game though.

Nice article regarding the 2015 draft eligible players to watch out for in the medal round. I've really liked what I've seen of the USA d-men Carlo and Werenski. Noah Hanfin gets all the press, but these two are the real deal also. Carlo moves very well for a 6'5 17 year old.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=35469&navid=nhl:topheads

Roliin' Rollin' Rollin'...looking like a well oiled machine, Canada watched Denmark take the first 4 shots on net, then responded with a 50-10 reply and an 8-0 thrashing. Led by Connor McDavid (who keeps getting better each game) and Curtis Lazar with 3 points each,  Next up Slovakia.

@flyercanuck   Man oh man, that win over the USA was so very crucial. Not only did they get a cake walk match up, Denmark rather the Russia, now they even get a easy Semi final game. While Russia and Sweden fight for their lives, we will be smacking Slovakia all over the rink. I'm guessing by the 3rd they can start giving out more ice time to the 3rd and 4th lines and last defense pairing, assuring that all the top players are well rested for the final. I'm not counting chickens or anything, but just don't see Slovakia being a real threat if Canada plays like they can.

Overconfidence is a dangerous thing. Hopefully it doesn't rear its ugly head.

These kids look like they're on a mission. Nobody can match the depth at forward or that speed from the backend. So far so good on the goaltending.

Overconfidence is a dangerous thing. Hopefully it doesn't rear its ugly head.

It really seems like Giroux is the kind of coach that takes nothing for granted. The players are already dialed right in and the coaching staff seems to be right on top of things. At one point during the Denmark game, the power play unit pulled some fancy (and unnecessary) dipsy doodles....in the 2 seconds it took Ray Ferraro to say the word "Globetrotters", the assistant coach Lowery was already berating them on the bench for getting to fancy. I'm sure "keep it simple" was mentioned very quickly. That's a great thing on 2 fronts, the coaching staff is on top of even the little things, and just as important, the kids listen and respond because they are so dialed in and focused on winning.

The speed of the defense is just awesome to watch. They are so quick and powerful the puck is out of our zone before the other team can even think about a cycle. If the easy outlet pass is not there, they just put in another gear and skate it right out, very organized and a distinct lack of panic in all situations. One of the very best defenses I can ever recall in this tourny. I'd be shocked if any of the top 6 failed to make the NHL.

@jammer2

I remember that play...Darnell Nurse with the Subban spinorama...great for highlight reels...also an easy was to let your opponent get a scoring chance. 

Love the speed on the backend. 

Even better, just had a pair of golds laid on me. Woohoo!

@jammer2

I remember that play...Darnell Nurse with the Subban spinorama...great for highlight reels...also an easy was to let your opponent get a scoring chance.

Love the speed on the backend.

Even better, just had a pair of golds laid on me. Woohoo!

You got tix to the Gold Medal game on Monday?!

Damn!

Mrs P and I are taking about going to Helsinki next year....

@flyercanuck   You lucky bastard!!  We will be looking for a full report from you...before you go to bed.....lol. You see so much more actually being at the game, you sight lines are not tied to the puck, much easier to see the whole play developing etc. You can also gauge a players speed better. Let me know how Josh Morrissey looks in comparison to the other players, I think he's an awesome skater, maybe the second fastest on the team next to McDavid. They can all skate, but Josh looks like he has another gear back there, surprised he has not had a break away goal yet, perhaps you get to see a nice Josh breakaway tonight....never know.

Archived