World Juniors

flyercanuck

@flyercanuck   You lucky bastard!!  We will be looking for a full report from you...before you go to bed.....lol. You see so much more actually being at the game, you sight lines are not tied to the puck, much easier to see the whole play developing etc. You can also gauge a players speed better. Let me know how Josh Morrissey looks in comparison to the other players, I think he's an awesome skater, maybe the second fastest on the team next to McDavid. They can all skate, but Josh looks like he has another gear back there, surprised he has not had a break away goal yet, perhaps you get to see a nice Josh breakaway tonight....never know.

I won't promise anything tonight, but will certainly let you know tomorrow. Morrissey has been awesome. We figured Morin to be a big project, and he's coming along nicely. But Morrissey just looks so good NOW.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really commented on the tough USA loss to the Russians.  But I will.

Looks like Sweden may be served the same fate.   :(

Russia up 3-0 early in the third.

@hf101 Where the hell did the Russians come from??, I didn't expect *this* type of explosive team....I think a lot of people have underestimated them, myself included.

Plus that was some impressive neutral zone play by the Ruskies.

What a nail biter. The speed that game was played at was unreal. Plenty of huge hits. For a change Canada got the nice goals and Russia got the garbage. Canada ends up with 4 top scorers including 17 year old Connor Mcdavid who tied for the lead. That breakaway goal was a thing of beauty, and this kids defensive game is highly underrated. Great tournaments by Nurse (best Dman IMO) Reinhart, Domi, Duclair, Morrisey, Petan. 

What a nail biter. The speed that game was played at was unreal. Plenty of huge hits. For a change Canada got the nice goals and Russia got the garbage. Canada ends up with 4 top scorers including 17 year old Connor Mcdavid who tied for the lead. That breakaway goal was a thing of beauty, and this kids defensive game is highly underrated. Great tournaments by Nurse (best Dman IMO) Reinhart, Domi, Duclair, Morrisey, Petan. 

I didn't see much of the tournament, and only the third period last night. But holy crap, Nurse is a monster. He just completely erases people. I don't know if I've ever seen a guy his size who can skate like that.

I didn't see much of the tournament, and only the third period last night. But holy crap, Nurse is a monster. He just completely erases people. I don't know if I've ever seen a guy his size who can skate like that.

He looked very good, and as an Oilers fan, it gives me hope. But, it's very important to temper that. A lot of his success came from overmatching smaller players physically, and he won't be doing that in the NHL as regularly as he does with guys in his age group. If the Oilers are smart (and I've seen little evidence of that) they'll let him continue to mature in the AHL. Other than that, he's still sometimes guilty of trying to do too much, but you can often get that with kids. It's no different than salivating over a guy's offensive totals at the tournament, when people need to realize that, due to the age and inexperience of the players, there are so many blown assignments it's not even funny.

But yeah, there's definitely things to like about his tool box.

He looked very good, and as an Oilers fan, it gives me hope. But, it's very important to temper that. A lot of his success came from overmatching smaller players physically, and he won't be doing that in the NHL as regularly as he does with guys in his age group. 

Except last night he spent much of the game, certainly all the 3rd period vs Dergachev, who is massive. And he did well. I was impressed with him all tournament, but last night's performance was one for the ages. He was a beast. Hopefully the Oilers don't screw him up.

Except last night he spent much of the game, certainly all the 3rd period vs Dergachev, who is massive. And he did well. I was impressed with him all tournament, but last night's performance was one for the ages. He was a beast. Hopefully the Oilers don't screw him up.

Well, like I said: he won't be doing that as regularly in the NHL. I don't wish to give the impression that he'll be a weakling or not bring in a physical element with him to the NHL. I'm a big believer in the idea that a player's style/habits are to no small extent set by this age. There can be growth, but most players don't rewrite themselves very well. That pass-first guy who has a good shot but doesn't use it as much as he should will probably frustrate his coaches/fans for the next ten years, even though he'll say he wants to shoot the puck more. Just the way humans are. So, to that extent, his willingness to be physical is just part of who he is, and it's something the Oilers have been badly lacking for years: a guy who is strong, tough to play against, but has actual skills as well.

But yes, he was very impressive in the tournament, and it gives me hope. Seems like he could work out to be a very good #2 defenseman.

That's why I was saying to sell the farm to get this guy in a Flyer jersey last summer. His mean streak is awesome, the offensive talent is evident.....you just do not find that combo very often. I get what J.R is saying, one thing to do it against kids, quite another to do against men in the NHL...but I honestly believe the hitting and offense will translate to the NHL game quite nicely. As soon as he steps on the ice in the NHL, he will be among the top 5% best skaters in the entire league, what a wickedly effective power stride this kid has. Throw in the absolute cannon of a shot and that's why I argued for through a 20 page thread....he is indeed the "real" deal. He is a cornerstone type to a championship team, no doubt about it.

That's why I was saying to sell the farm to get this guy in a Flyer jersey last summer. His mean streak is awesome, the offensive talent is evident.....you just do not find that combo very often. I get what J.R is saying, one thing to do it against kids, quite another to do against men in the NHL...but I honestly believe the hitting and offense will translate to the NHL game quite nicely. As soon as he steps on the ice in the NHL, he will be among the top 5% best skaters in the entire league, what a wickedly effective power stride this kid has. Throw in the absolute cannon of a shot and that's why I argued for through a 20 page thread....he is indeed the "real" deal. He is a cornerstone type to a championship team, no doubt about it.

Yeah, I really wanted him too (and not just because of the McNabb connection ;). He could turn out to be the best defenseman of that draft class.

• 1 month later...

Definitely!

• 5 months later...

What a sick group......

Canada's first group

Forward

Perlini-Fabbri-Merkley

Crouse-Strome-Marner

Gauthier-McCann-Watson

Stephens-Quenneville-Ho-Sang

Canada's first group

Defense

Sanheim-Hicketts

Dermott-Roy

Dunn-Carrier

Goalie 

Blackwood

McDonald

Canada's second group

Forward

Dal Colle-Point-Konecny

Debrusk-Bleackley-Virtanen

Sadowy-Chartier-Hawryluk

Beauvillier-Barzal-Aube-Kubel

Canada's second group

Defense

Fleury-McKeown

Hickey-Juulsen

Chabot-LeBlanc

Goalie

Montembeault

I love to just see these two teams play against each other it would be awesome.

Archived