Deboer fired!

jammer2

What'cha think Devils fans?  Personally, I find Lou more at fault than Peter.......but in a results driven league, things roll downhill. I think Peter was/is a good solid hockey guy and should land on his feet somewhere. Was a pleasure to watch him compete as a 18-19 year old kid. He was our best defensive forward on Windsor, but also was a offensive force, so he understands both sides of the coin, important moving forward for his career.

Well, all the 'results' stuff is certainly true, but it will be interesting to see what Deboer's replacement will do that will be so different.

The situation in NJ is a classic case of firing the coach because it is easier than firing 23 players.

But then, not all 23 players were the problem, were they?

The defense is still way too young to be consistently effective, and the forward lines are filled with guys whose best days are far behind them..

That is a mixture that I challenge ANY head coach to do something with.

I can see why Deboer was let go...but not necessarily agree that it will turn the Devils fortunes around..at least not in the short term.

Personally, I think the dismantling of the team that went to the SC Finals against the Kings a few seasons ago should have been the beginning of a rebuild in Newark.

Devils seemed like they 'half assed' it and are now paying the price for it.....lots of losing, losing for the forseeable future and wasting away some of the prime years of a very good goaltender in Cory Schneider.

NJ SHOULD have gone all in, unloaded the rest of the vets they had and go all youth, take their lumps in the short term (maybe for 2 or 3 seasons), then come back with a competitive, youthful, long term viable contender shortly after that.

Ilya Kovalchuk, David Clarkson, Zach Parise, Anton Volchenkov, Petr Sykora...just to name a few guys who were basically guys who made that SC Finals team go.

Plus others such as Brodeur, Zajac, Elias who stuck around or were retained, but hardly playing at levels they once did.

Basically the team needed to replace the departed or declining players or just wipe the slate clean and start over.

NJ did neither...instead opting to go with stop gap players and hoping to catch some veterans with a little left to push the team forward.

The results, as can be seen, were less than positive, and thus Peter Deboer took the fall for it.

About the only thing I can see Deboer could have done differently was perhaps to bench certain veteran players (Bryce Salvador and Marek Zlidlicky come to mind IMMEDIATELY) and play young guys in their place...even if it meant the team continued to lose.

At least at that point, the team could really see what they had in the young players and still keep the vets around as spare parts...though that may have been unpopular with said vets.

Of course, that would be no guarantee that Deboer would have kept his job if the results ended up the same, but at the very least, he could have said "I explored every possibility with what I was given".

@TropicalFruitGirl26   As per usual TFG, you make some excellent points. Hard to argue with any of your well thought out post. It seems like the ol' fogey's club at work here, Lou....rubs elbows with the owner and is basically untouchable gets to fire Peter for the roster that Lou assembeled. When he assembled this "old man's club" of players...did he seriously think they were going to be competitive??? Seems to me Peter is the fall guy here.

Merry Christmas, Pete.

Well, I don't see what it's going to help.  They still have the same poorly constructed team.  I don't think it's going to hurt, either, though.  They'll get their little bounce out of it and then bounce right out of the playoff picture.  

we have had so many blown leads, i blame that on the coach, not the players. Giving Harrold, zidlicky, more ice time then guys like larsson. Not punishing the bad players. That being said, a new coach wont help us get to the playoffs, should have just kep Deboer because he know how to lose. McEichel.

@jammer2

I'm thinking Lou will coach the Devils for the rest of the year, getting them back to being competitive.  There is probably no guarantee they can make the playoffs, but at least he will have those veteran players playing to a level that the fans will buy tickets to see.

Merry Christmas, Pete.

Well, I don't see what it's going to help. They still have the same poorly constructed team. I don't think it's going to hurt, either, though. They'll get their little bounce out of it and then bounce right out of the playoff picture.

Pretty much. I don't know how anybody can look at the forwards they've been icing for much of the season and honestly expect them to be winning many games. When your top line at one point has a 42 year old Jaromir Jagr and Scott Gomez on it, you have problems. That said, I think something needed to change. Like TFG said, it's easier to change coaches than to change multiple players. This will be the third straight year the Devils have missed the playoffs. Yes, they went to the Final the year before, but that only buys you so much time, and it finally ran out on DeBoer. Who comes in to take over this mess? I have no idea.

Deboar was/is not the problem with the Devils. He is a quality coach, given an odd assortment of pieces and told form a team out of this, and he was unable to. Of course with this F-Troop Scotty Bowman would have been fired by now too. More of a mercy killing than anything......

Didn't you used to be Lou lamaourillo? A guy I once considered one of the best has let this franchise turn into a graveyard. You may not be able to win championships with a team of young guys...but at least theres a future and upside. You're not winning anything with a team full of 35 years olds....not in this NHL. 

I don't care who they bring in , Deboer did what he could with what he had.

@jammer2

I'm thinking Lou will coach the Devils for the rest of the year, getting them back to being competitive.  There is probably no guarantee they can make the playoffs, but at least he will have those veteran players playing to a level that the fans will buy tickets to see.

yes, i am actually quite excited to see how this turns out, and there playing against the rangers!!!

Archived