Back in Playoff Form

hf101

Look out Eastern Conference - the Rangers are on a fast pace to take over the East.  Currently they are 6 pts out of the lead, but give it another week or two these patient opportunists will have everyone else in the rear view window.  

The Rangers just finished a California road trip with wins against the Kings, Ducks, and Sharks and extending their recent record to 13-1.  As a matter of fact the Rangers have gone 6-0 against the West this year outscoring their opponents 23-8.  

Lundqvist has been stellar, and I'm stunned he wasn't invited to the All Star Game.

Last 4: 4-0-0, 1.25 GAA, .950 SV%
Last 12: 11-1-0, 1.57 GAA, .939 SV%, 1 SO
Last 28: 19-6-3, 1.97 GAA, .928 SV%, 5 SO

Then there is Nash with 26 goals at the mid mark, yeah that is tied with the total number of goals he had all last season.  

Nick Mercadente wrote a great piece on why the Rangers are winning.

His main points for their success are that the Rangers:

• Play low event hockey that reduces opposing quality scoring chances by collapsing quickly on shooting lanes in the zone and taking away laterally transitioning play opportunities
  • Control transition play
  • Generate high quality scoring chances
  • Win loose puck battles at a high rate
  • Produce on the power play

Yep, the Rangers are the team to beat this season and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see this team win the Cup in June.

Nice write up!

Lundqvist andTalbot make for one heck of a tandem.

Defensively, the Rangers lost Stallman but Klein has been huge and now Boyle is due back from injury.

This club is deep and experienced, Brassard and Stepan are solid down the middle. The wingers are deep and talented. I agree, the road to the Cup in the East goes through Manhattan. I think Tampa will have a lot to say about it, and so will the Penguins but until someone knocks the Rangers off they have to be considered the team.

• 2 weeks later...

Really like the Rangers game this year and Nash seems to be feeding off it. We have to hope he keeps it going in the post-season. He playing with more confidence this year so I don't doubt he'll be on his game in the playoffs. He'll be looking to erase last year's bad performance from fans memories.

@steelhead77

Welcome!

I think the Metro division will end up being a battle of both NYC teams as the season winds down.  It will be great to bring back that rivalry.  In the end though I think it will be the Rangers that prevail as repeat Eastern Conference Champs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@steelhead77

I thought I'd bump up this thread as the Rangers have now moved into first place in the Atlantic playing 2 less games than the Islanders.  

They are on a 8-0-2 run.  

And the crazy part of it is, they really haven't missed that much of a beat by not having King Henrik.

Still though, I think if the Rangers want to make another serious run in the post season, Lundquist will have to be on hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived