All Star suspension for Crosby

Old School Hockey

Well stated all around. Nothing to disagree with.

I will say that Crosby did play more than 23 minutes against the Hawks, including OT. If he was fine enough for that, surely he's fine enough for a medium-effort, no hitting exhibition game. Forget that it's meaningless - it's the one time a year that kids and youth can meet their idols all at once and in a more relaxed setting. Hard to believe Crosby's only been to one ASG.

Yeah same with Erik Johnson from the Av's.  Apparently he's out now after playing 23+minutes on Wed.   Yeah between injuries, strikes and olympic years its really cut all the years he could play.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah same with Erik Johnson from the Av's.  Apparently he's out now after playing 23+minutes on Wed.   Yeah between injuries, strikes and olympic years its really cut all the years he could play.

Easiest thing to do is move the ASG after the Cup final - maybe during awards weekend or something. Then again, it's summertime then.

I haven't watched it since I was a kid. I wonder if it still appeals to kids? I'm guessing for sure in the host city, but what about elsewhere?

Another option is to make it meaningful, such as giving the winning conference home ice in the SCF, but that hardly seems fair, no? 

Or make the Winter Classic the ASG.

@B21@nossagog@Polaris922

What @Old School Hockey is referring to is several years ago Lidstrom and Datsyuk sat out the All Star game after being chosen to allow themselves to rest/recover from various little Nicks and bruises throughout the first half. Bettman poked his head out and saw his shadow, and announced that if you played your teams last game that you could not skip the ASG without being suspended for the first game after the break.

I am of two minds, first I see why Lidstrom and Pavel (and Crosby for that matter) would want to take the time to recover. Let some new guys who consider being there a thrill play in the unwatchable exhibition and recover a bit both body and soul. But I kind of agree with Bettman, fans have the right to see the stars, not just the lesser luminaries. IMHO I see where Bettman is coming from.

On a personal note, I was furious at the time with Bettman, FURIOUS. The Wings first game after the break was against the Jackets in Columbus and I had tickets, a friend of mine is a partial season ticket holder at Nationwide with two seats two rows off the glass behind the home net, it was our first time ever using those seats and not seeing Magic and the Perfect human over them not appearing in a stupid exhibition really pee'd me off. And then the Wings lost in overtime, I believe it was 3-2 with Nash scoring all 3 goals. I had a heckler making rancid comments about the Wings and my wife and I all night, if the Wings had Lidstrom and Datsyuk we would have beaten those minor league punks. And not out of that but six inches of snow and ice fell and we had to get an overpriced hotel in downtown Columbus. Do you know what there is to do in downtown Columbus at 10pm on a Tuesday? NOTHING. You have the choice of staying in your room and dying of boredom or risk multiple gunshot wounds.

I have no prescient knowledge of what goes on in Bettman's mind (it is probably a dark and lonely place) but he has, i am sure quietly tiptoed around the issue a bit, letting teams know that Crosby is not playing the game after the break because of missing the all star game, same with guys such as Erik Johnson of Colorado and others who begged out, without caling Crosby out personally, to do so would hurt the brand of the game itself and the All Star game specifically. I have no problem with Bettman not dealing with it publicly, again, what is best for the game, in Crosby's case more than any other player is to deal with it quietly. The fact that he is missing the next game is the important thing, not publicly flaying him.

@B21@nossagog@Polaris922

What @Old School Hockey is referring to is several years ago Lidstrom and Datsyuk sat out the All Star game after being chosen to allow themselves to rest/recover from various little Nicks and bruises throughout the first half. Bettman poked his head out and saw his shadow, and announced that if you played your teams last game that you could not skip the ASG without being suspended for the first game after the break.

I am of two minds, first I see why Lidstrom and Pavel (and Crosby for that matter) would want to take the time to recover. Let some new guys who consider being there a thrill play in the unwatchable exhibition and recover a bit both body and soul. But I kind of agree with Bettman, fans have the right to see the stars, not just the lesser luminaries. IMHO I see where Bettman is coming from.

On a personal note, I was furious at the time with Bettman, FURIOUS. The Wings first game after the break was against the Jackets in Columbus and I had tickets, a friend of mine is a partial season ticket holder at Nationwide with two seats two rows off the glass behind the home net, it was our first time ever using those seats and not seeing Magic and the Perfect human over them not appearing in a stupid exhibition really pee'd me off. And then the Wings lost in overtime, I believe it was 3-2 with Nash scoring all 3 goals. I had a heckler making rancid comments about the Wings and my wife and I all night, if the Wings had Lidstrom and Datsyuk we would have beaten those minor league punks. And not out of that but six inches of snow and ice fell and we had to get an overpriced hotel in downtown Columbus. Do you know what there is to do in downtown Columbus at 10pm on a Tuesday? NOTHING. You have the choice of staying in your room and dying of boredom or risk multiple gunshot wounds.

I have no prescient knowledge of what goes on in Bettman's mind (it is probably a dark and lonely place) but he has, i am sure quietly tiptoed around the issue a bit, letting teams know that Crosby is not playing the game after the break because of missing the all star game, same with guys such as Erik Johnson of Colorado and others who begged out, without caling Crosby out personally, to do so would hurt the brand of the game itself and the All Star game specifically. I have no problem with Bettman not dealing with it publicly, again, what is best for the game, in Crosby's case more than any other player is to deal with it quietly. The fact that he is missing the next game is the important thing, not publicly flaying him.

Bettman hasn't publicly announced a suspension for missing the All Star Game since your boys. They were the first and only time Gary announced it. It's been a rule since then so no need.

@yave1964

I remember that scenario but Bettman/NHL does have a point there.  Unless you have a legitimate injury, you can't just chose to sit out the ASB due some nicks and bruises.  Every player in the game has nicks and bruises.  Sure - it's inconvenient.  But playing is not going to make things worse.  That would have been a bad precedent for the league to allow.

In Crosby's case - it's an injury entirely more significant injury than "nicks and bruises" and the Pens already announced he would miss the game immeidately after the ASB. He was given an injection (cortisone maybe?) for a lower body injury.

I see both sides of this but OSH acting like this is some kind of NHL favoritism just wreaks.

@B21@nossagog@Polaris922

@yave1964

We all understand that. The point of what I was saying early on in this conversation to OSH was that the whole reason that is was pointed out in '09 was that it was the first year that the rule went into effect.  OSH is consumed with the fact that Gary hasn't come out behind a podium and stated for the whole world that Crosby is going to have to sit out the first game back because of the rule put in place in '08 that caught up Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

The point is, everyone understands the rule now, they didn't then.  It wasn't Butman that made a big deal over it, is was the media and their lack of understanding. As I said earlier in this thread, if there is outrage, be outraged that Ovi didn't get an extra game when he sat out due to his snit because he received a suspension due to a head shot, and didn't play in the ASG to protest. Be outraged because Iggy sat out to go see his grandmother for the ASG break instead of playing.  Heck in '12, Butman specifically went to Lidstrom and Selane and asked them if they had any intention of playing(because they were going to be selected) so that they didn't get suspended for being no shows due to their age, anyone remember the controversy to that?

The point is, there is no favoritism here.   OSH's original premise was that Butman wouldn't have the guts to make Crosby sit for a game for missing the game.   Well, no, he's going to sit and no one from the Pens is complaining, because they understand the rule. So now OSH's outrage has turned to, "well, he didn't make a big deal out of it like in '09".  And as I said, the only reason it made such a big deal then was that people didn't understand the new rule at that point.  Its happened for other players in years since then, for some reason, OSH has chosen this moment to be outraged, why?

@yave1964

I remember that scenario but Bettman/NHL does have a point there.  Unless you have a legitimate injury, you can't just chose to sit out the ASB due some nicks and bruises.  Every player in the game has nicks and bruises.  Sure - it's inconvenient.  But playing is not going to make things worse.  That would have been a bad precedent for the league to allow.

In Crosby's case - it's an injury entirely more significant injury than "nicks and bruises" and the Pens already announced he would miss the game immeidately after the ASB. He was given an injection (cortisone maybe?) for a lower body injury.

I see both sides of this but OSH acting like this is some kind of NHL favoritism just wreaks.

NOPE!!!!!

My outrage is where's the disingenuous Gary speech??!!!

Make NO mistake if Bettman, Jacobs and Synder fell off of the face of the earth my life would be happier. But the naive can keep pretending they don't understand why Bettman does and doesn't do certain things.

First thing Bettman HATES Ilitch. Coming out of the 1995 lockout was Ilitch's doing. Bettman then demanded a "super majority". Again in 2005 Ilitch tried to end the lockout and that pissed off Gary, Jacobs and Synder!

Make NO mistake if Bettman, Jacobs and Synder fell off of the face of the earth my life would be happier. But the naive can keep pretending they don't understand why Bettman does and doesn't do certain things.

First thing Bettman HATES Ilitch. Coming out of the 1995 lockout was Ilitch's doing. Bettman then demanded a "super majority". Again in 2005 Ilitch tried to end the lockout and that pissed off Gary, Jacobs and Synder!

Okay, this is my last post in this thread.  I'm done.   You've gone from Gary favoring Crosby and the Pens all  the way back to Ilicth and an NHL vs the Wings in the thread.  I can offer no more, I'll go elsewhere.  Polaris, B21, let the thread die, there is no hope, only chaos will rule. Other things are at play here, and its not worth the effort.

Okay, this is my last post in this thread.  I'm done.   You've gone from Gary favoring Crosby and the Pens all  the way back to Ilicth and an NHL vs the Wings in the thread.  I can offer no more, I'll go elsewhere.  Polaris, B21, let the thread die, there is no hope, only chaos will rule. Other things are at play here, and its not worth the effort.

Goodbye!!!!!!!

Like I said....bitter Wings fan. Thanks for playing.

This.

It's been explained multiple times why there is no speech. It apparently takes more than a third grade education to comprehend. Maybe a laxative would help.

It's truly ridiculous.

Fly often?  

Fix others? 

Find Obelisks? 

Friendly Offerings?    That's it!  Friendly offerings!  Got it!  

And friendly offerings to you too my old school buddy!   :)

So are baiting me to say **** Off so you can report me?

So here it is! **** OFF

@Old School Hockey

Umm, no, it is dominated by fans who have something to offer. I am as big of a Wings fan as you will ever meet and get along with everyone, we do not always get along, I posted last year calling Orpik a few names, gutless, coward, ect... and a few folks lost their mind, we worked it out and debated it somewhat civilly. TFG is a Wild fan, I ripped on their goaltending, she swallowed hard and more or less agreed.

These guys are a good bunch of fans who happily will discuss anything with you, any time. Some of the comments in good nature (I think) about Giroux and Crosby from the opposing fans make me cringe and laugh.

Dude, relax, bring something to the table other than conspiracy theories and all will be right with the world. You are an intelligent fan, you know the game, talk about the game not what a tool Bettman is (he is). If you want to say Crosby gets special treatment, fine, you might be right but in this particular area you have overstepped.

@ruxpin@nossagog@B21

Okay guys, everyone relax. And don't lump all of us in together, lol.

As to the rule, I reluctantly agree with it, like I posted when Datsyuk and Lidstrom were suspended i was furious, but I do understand where Bettman is coming from in this one case.

@Old School Hockey

Umm, no, it is dominated by fans who have something to offer. I am as big of a Wings fan as you will ever meet and get along with everyone, we do not always get along, I posted last year calling Orpik a few names, gutless, coward, ect... and a few folks lost their mind, we worked it out and debated it somewhat civilly. TFG is a Wild fan, I ripped on their goaltending, she swallowed hard and more or less agreed.

These guys are a good bunch of fans who happily will discuss anything with you, any time. Some of the comments in good nature (I think) about Giroux and Crosby from the opposing fans make me cringe and laugh.

Dude, relax, bring something to the table other than conspiracy theories and all will be right with the world. You are an intelligent fan, you know the game, talk about the game not what a tool Bettman is (he is). If you want to say Crosby gets special treatment, fine, you might be right but in this particular area you have overstepped.

You forgot to add "in my opinion!!!!

I've had two run ins on this site and it's been with Flyers/Pens fans!

Archived