All Star suspension for Crosby

Old School Hockey

@Old School Hockey

It is a site created by Flyer fans that welcomes anyone who has something to offer. Of course most of the fans in here are Flyer fans, HF101 is doing a tremendous job and is trying to expand to other markets. The Penguin fans in here are a small but rabid bunch of fans.

If you go poking at Crosby, they will poke back. I love Kronwall, my favorite wing, he DESTROYED Voracek a few years ago for coming up the ice and admiring how pretty the puck looked on his stick. The Flyer fans wanted to kill Kronner, I defended the hit (still do) and called out Rinaldo for trying to get a fight going on a clean hit.

Last year when Orpik leveled Loui Ericksson and refused to fight Thornton leading to a whole level of stupidity I sided with Thornton and a few Penguin fans called me out for my hypocricy. It pissed me off that I was more or less caught in a trick bag but had to keep defending holding two separate views because I had been so adamant and having my own words and opinions used against me. They were hard and tough and fair in their critique of my opinions and I have worked hard on trying to avoid trick bags like that since.

Anyway, these guys are a good bunch of fans. Stick it out and quit leading with your chin. You will be okay.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ruxpin@nossagog@B21

Okay guys, everyone relax. And don't lump all of us in together, lol.

As to the rule, I reluctantly agree with it, like I posted when Datsyuk and Lidstrom were suspended i was furious, but I do understand where Bettman is coming from in this one case.

Yave, don't worry no one (not me anyway) is lumping. If ALL Wings fans were bitter, the adjective "bitter" wouldn't be necessary; it would be assumed.

So, not all Wings fans are bitter (although with all those Cups who would blame them?) and not all bitter people are Wings fans (they're Lions fans).

The pillow biting conspiracy theorist is apparently bitter and a [maxi with] Wings fan.

Yave, don't worry no one (not me anyway) is lumping. If ALL Wings fans were bitter, the adjective "bitter" wouldn't be necessary; it would be assumed.

So, not all Wings fans are bitter (although with all those Cups who would blame them?) and not all bitter people are Wings fans (they're Lions fans).

The pillow biting conspiracy theorist is apparently bitter and a [maxi with] Wings fan.

Are you sure you don't want call me a douche again while you're at it?

Will Gary have the balls to suspend Crosby like he did Datsyuk and Lidstrom?

I know I'm jumping into this thread late, but can you post some background information to help set up your thread?

As a Leafs fan, I don't watch any Pittsburgh Penguin games. (Couldn't watch them even if I wanted to.)

So specifically:

- What play are you referring to?

- Can you post a link?

- Can you explain what your issue is with the play?

- Can you explain what the rule is regarding this situation?

- Can you list other examples of similar plays and the suspension that was given?

And if a great injustice has been done, then could you:

- Not take it out on other members of this forum (because they had no say in the decision)

- Not act like it has affected your life personally (because it hasn't)

This is the Hockey Forums, not the HFBoards. If you want to start flame wars and experience the worst moderation on the internet, I suggest you go to that website instead.  My two cents.  :)

I know I'm jumping into this thread late, but can you post some background information to help set up your thread?

As a Leafs fan, I don't watch any Pittsburgh Penguin games. (Couldn't watch them even if I wanted to.)

So specifically:

- What play are you referring to?

- Can you post a link?

- Can you explain what your issue is with the play?

- Can you explain what the rule is regarding this situation?

- Can you list other examples of similar plays and the suspension that was given?

And if a great injustice has been done, then could you:

- Not take it out on other members of this forum (because they had no say in the decision)

- Not act like it has affected your life personally (because it hasn't)

This is the Hockey Forums, not the HFBoards. If you want to start flame wars and experience the worst moderation on the internet, I suggest you go to that website instead.  My two cents.  :)

HF moderators aren't sh!t stirrers.

@WordsOfWisdom

Nice post. Sorry, didn't mean to go in the same direction as you. I didn't see your post until after I posted.

I just figured I'd mention that if he posted that on the HFBoards he would have had his posts deleted and been banned permanently by now. (And his thread would have been locked in less than a minute too.)  LOL. He doesn't realize how good he has it here.  :)

In any event, six pages in and I still have no idea what he's talking about. And now I've lost interest too. It's like giving someone a microphone to get their message across and then having them say nothing. Some people just can't make a point or convey a thought. Oh well.  LOL. 

I just figured I'd mention that if he posted that on the HFBoards he would have had his posts deleted and been banned permanently by now. (And his thread would have been locked in less than a minute too.)  LOL.

He doesn't realize how good he has it here.  :)

In any event, six pages in and I still have no idea what he's talking about. And now I've lost interest too. It's like giving someone a microphone to get their message across and then having them say nothing. Some people just can't make a point or convey a thought. Oh well.  LOL.

And HF mods wouldn't be acting like a clown either.

Someone beat me to it. In all my time in here never once did I ever, ever  EVER shut a topic down, this is a first for me, and from a Wings fan too. Dude, you are so far off your own topic, it is lost in a personal attack on one of the good guys in here.

Here's what I don't understand. WHY is participating in a completely meaningless snooze fest of an enterprise that is no longer even voted on by the fans a duty?

Especially when your bonuses, legacy, team's welfare, etc etc etc are all counter priorities.

I realize (think) that when it was Datsyuk and Zetts it was fan-voted. So there was probably some responsibility to the fans that voted that they wanted to see THEM.

So, yeah, some duty there. But it was still an entirely meaningless, worthless, snoozefest of an enterprise that increasingly less people (some players included, apparently) give a crap about.

It is/was a rule, so enforce it. But it's a dumb rule forcing people to participate in a dumb event.

But it's a dumb rule forcing people to participate in a dumb event.

That's your opinion. For the league and for millions of fans, it is not a dumb event. I'm guessing that until it reaches a particular tipping point, the league will continue to stage the ASG each year.

Here's what I don't understand. WHY is participating in a completely meaningless snooze fest of an enterprise that is no longer even voted on by the fans a duty?

I have no idea if it's mandated in any sort of agreement - but my *guess* would be that it is a player's duty to show up to such events. Much like media availability is a duty. It's part of your responsibilities as a player. It's a very small requirement when you consider the compensation these guys get.

That's your opinion. For the league and for millions of fans, it is not a dumb event. I'm guessing that until it reaches a particular tipping point, the league will continue to stage the ASG each year.

I have no idea if it's mandated in any sort of agreement - but my *guess* would be that it is a player's duty to show up to such events. Much like media availability is a duty. It's part of your responsibilities as a player. It's a very small requirement when you consider the compensation these guys get.

It's a small requirement unless one gets injured fulfilling such duties. While there's absolutely no hitting (or hockey) in an all-star game, certainly there is more chance than a media scrum.

And usually the media scrum is at the arena, the practice facility, or some opponent's arena following a game. No extra cross-country travel.

But, of course, I get your point. Is a rule, so it's likely written in somewhere. And I do get the sense that you compared it to the media thing (extra duty as part of your job).

As for opinion, yes it's my opinion. But it's also a fairly common one.

The game is not competitive. Heck, I would argue it's not even hockey. It cannot be competitive because there's no reward or consequence to it. It's the ice capades with goal nets.

Seriously, who cares? More importantly, why?

So, given that, if I'm a player and I even have a sore throat and 650 players are getting a five day or whatever break and I have to fly across the country to be present (not "play," be PRESENT) for something that intrinsically had absolutely no value... All as an award for being better than the other 650 (supposedly), yeah, I'm staying home.

Okay, so it's not competitive but it's a chance to see the best. That's not even half true. First, it's the best at one thing playing an entirely different game than that they're the best at.

Second, pretending (wrongly) that it is the same game, it's not even the best. No one is going to tell me that what's his name from Buffalo/Latvia is in the top 150 players let alone the top 40.

So, for me (and with the understanding it's just opinion) the entire thing is a joke and an unneeded interruption of the season.

If you're going to keep the game (even as pointless as it is) I think you HAVE to have the rule you do or most everyone stays home for the reasons I stated.

I'd just get rid of the game. While many still watch it (it's the only "game" for almost a week!) I'm willing to bet few would miss it. And if they do, my question immediately is "missing what?"

@brelic

I thought I made it clear I more or less agree with Bettman which is hard to say when sober, what bothered me was I had tickets to see the Wings literally two rows off the glass, and was looking forward to seeing Lidstrom and the rest. we risked lousy weather, I mean REALLY bad, the worst storm we have had in years and the Wings lost in overtime with this absolute troll heckling the wife and I the entire game because we were wearing our Wings apparel. I was rooting for the Wings to stick it up the Jackets rear so I could taunt him back, but ugh.

No I get the rule, and like I said more or less agree with it. As a fan with tickets for one of the few games that I was going to get to that year, two of my favorites did not play because of their decision to sit out a exhibition game. So it bit me in the rear personally, and believe me, when I said I was annoyed I was as annoyed with Pavel and Lidstrom as I was Bettman, even more so. I hated the rule that particular day but looking at it without my Red Wings goggles on, yeah, it was the right call.

As for opinion, yes it's my opinion. But it's also a fairly common one.

The game is not competitive. Heck, I would argue it's not even hockey. It cannot be competitive because there's no reward or consequence to it. It's the ice capades with goal nets.

Seriously, who cares? More importantly, why?

If it's such a common opinion, why do they keep doing it?

I think it's like the shootout - I'd say the majority of people on this board don't like it. But across all fans, especially casual ones, the majority DO enjoy the shootout.

Pleasing hardcore fans doesn't increase revenue. They know hardcore fans, by their nature, are the most loyal and will tolerate the most before upping and moving on. It's the droves of casual fans they're after. They are fickle yet represent probably the largest part of the pie (corporate sponsorships, and I'd say about 75% of hockey fans in general would be 'casual'). So shootouts are here to stay until that part of the majority opinion turns the other way.

So, given that, if I'm a player and I even have a sore throat and 650 players are getting a five day or whatever break and I have to fly across the country to be present (not "play," be PRESENT) for something that intrinsically had absolutely no value... All as an award for being better than the other 650 (supposedly), yeah, I'm staying home.

I don't remember it being this way 10-20 years ago. Am I misremembering? To me, the fact the game's biggest (or one of) marketable stars in Crosby skips the game due to a dubious injury (yes, I am calling BS on his inability to participate after playing 23 minutes the night before) speaks volumes about the state of things. 

What has changed? Availability fatigue (twitter, FB, interviews, community work, more lockerroom access, etc etc)? It is a meaningless 'game' as you say, but the 'game' really hasn't been the point of all-star weekend in a long time. Even the skills competition, which used to be interesting, is nothing more than a bunch of clowns on the ice doing nothing interesting (saw the 'highlights' this morning). Certainly nothing worth investing hours into watching (IMO, of course).

Okay, so it's not competitive but it's a chance to see the best. That's not even half true. First, it's the best at one thing playing an entirely different game than that they're the best at.

Second, pretending (wrongly) that it is the same game, it's not even the best. No one is going to tell me that what's his name from Buffalo/Latvia is in the top 150 players let alone the top 40.

So, for me (and with the understanding it's just opinion) the entire thing is a joke and an unneeded interruption of the season.

If you're going to keep the game (even as pointless as it is) I think you HAVE to have the rule you do or most everyone stays home for the reasons I stated.

I'd just get rid of the game. While many still watch it (it's the only "game" for almost a week!) I'm willing to bet few would miss it. And if they do, my question immediately is "missing what?"

Hey, I'm actually in complete agreement with you. I would scrap the game in a nanosecond. I was just pointing out that your 'opinion' of things really doesn't matter because you're not the target demographic the NHL seeks. You're a hardcore fan, and aren't going away.

Archived