Mike Richards Waived

AJgoal

The layout of the rule doesn't make a lot of sense. Why the differentiation between trades that occured before and after the new CBA?

Because you could essentially be penalizing teams for taking actions that were completely legal when they were taken.

How is that fair?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPON FURTHER REVIEW - this hadn't really occured to me until looking at it in the shoutbox.

LOS ANGELES is the team that has actually benefitted from the cap shenanigans. Richards made $5.4, $5.6 and $6.4M in the first three years of the deal. That's one year above the AAV of the contract.

LA has paid him $6.6, $8.4, $7.6, $7 for his four years there - that's ALL above the AAV of the contract.

How on Earth would the Flyers be in any way responsible for the cap benefit The Kings took!?!?!?

Essentially what I have found so far is that the league's original proposal was just what the Leafs' guys were saying: Player retires, cap hit for the remainder of the contract reverts to the original signing team. However, that appears to have been modified into the recapture rule. Still not positive I have all the details right.

LA is currently out of the playoff picture. They could still make it (they're only 9th), but if the playoffs started today they'd be out.

What are the odds that if a playoff team picks him up, and LA still isn't in, Carter starts to get sad and pouts his way to into wherever Richards lands?

Doesn't "waived" = released, cut, let go etc?

No, you have to pass through waivers to be sent down. Even have gone through, you don't need to be sent down immediately - it remains in effect for (insert number of days I am uncertain about here) 30? days?

LA could simply be seeing if anyone would take him off their hands.

If he is assigned to the AHL and refuses, then he could void his contract.

Why are we talking about Richard's retiring??? He being waived. I doubt he is gonna retire and leave all the money on the table. He would "ride the AHL Bus" if he has to I would think. Besides, sooner or later someone will work a deal for him. I think retirement talk is a wee bit pre-mature...

Why are we talking about Richard's retiring??? He being waived. I doubt he is gonna retire and leave all the money on the table. He would "ride the AHL Bus" if he has to I would think. Besides, sooner or later someone will work a deal for him. I think retirement talk is a wee bit pre-mature...

jammer brought it up as a possible repercussion in a worst case scenario. Of course it was from a Leafs talk radio show, so take that for what it's worth :)

I don't believe Richards leaves all the money on the table, either. Especially if his skills have "eroded" and he "will never be the same player again."

This is his payday. He's got to keep it.

No, you have to pass through waivers to be sent down. Even have gone through, you don't need to be sent down immediately - it remains in effect for (insert number of days I am uncertain about here) 30? days?

LA could simply be seeing if anyone would take him off their hands.

If he is assigned to the AHL and refuses, then he could void his contract.

OK fair enough, but what would "released" mean?

I don't like him and rip him as much as much as any other fan who is not...a fan, but I have a hard time believe he's that bad at 29 that he'd be forced into retirement.

I would think if ol' frosty tips did it once he would do it again ;)

I don't think it happens this season, but if LA misses the playoffs, and Richards lands somewhere better, just you watch. Bitch boy will be pouting his lips more than Kim Kardashian this off season. It would be good for a laugh at least.

OK fair enough, but what would "released" mean?

They put him through waivers and then release him.

It means that they still have to pay him his contract and are on the hook for the cap hit as well. They do gain a roster spot.

If Richards then "retires" he voids the contract. (see: Kovalchuk, Ilya)

But I don't think that Richards is then able to re-sign with another team for the duration of the term of the original contract - anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Honestly, aside from $925K in cap savings or the possibility someone picks up the remainder of his contract, I'm not sure what else the Kings can get out of this.

Archived