Mike Richards Waived

AJgoal

They put him through waivers and then release him.

It means that they still have to pay him his contract and are on the hook for the cap hit as well. They do gain a roster spot.

If Richards then "retires" he voids the contract. (see: Kovalchuk, Ilya)

But I don't think that Richards is then able to re-sign with another team for the duration of the term of the original contract - anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Honestly, aside from $925K in cap savings or the possibility someone picks up the remainder of his contract, I'm not sure what else the Kings can get out of this.

OK I guess I see the distinction. It's hard to figure out what LA is up to. I know they are tight against the cap so maybe the $1M makes a difference for whatever else they are doing.

Or maybe they call him back up and hope someone takes him *on the way back up* through waivers. They still pay half but maybe that's still a better deal than what teams were offering. Diabolical

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I guess I see the distinction. It's hard to figure out what LA is up to. I know they are tight against the cap so maybe the $1M makes a difference for whatever else they are doing.

Or maybe they call him back up and hope someone takes him *on the way back up* through waivers. They still pay half but maybe that's still a better deal than what teams were offering. Diabolical

As has been pointed out to me before, there are no more re-entry waivers. They got eliminated with the new CBA.

As you often hear the vendors walking the aisles screaming "CBA heah! Getcher CBA here! You can't tell a player's cap hit without your own copy of the CBA! CBA heah! Getcher CBA!"

Clearly not. How about "unwanted"? It certainly seems ckear that Mike is not wanted right now....

Wouldn't surprise me if he's simply in the same situation that VLC is with the FLyers - a guy who isn't "done" but just doesn't "fit" with the roster he's on.

Honestly, aside from $925K in cap savings or the possibility someone picks up the remainder of his contract, I'm not sure what else the Kings can get out of this.

I'm guessing they bring up Nick Shore (oddly, he's a $925K cap hit).

He's having a decent season in Manchester.  They're tight against the cap so maybe they can't just bring up Shore and bench Richards.  So now, there's no difference in their cap but maybe have a younger player who will give them a little more production?

As has been pointed out to me before, there are no more re-entry waivers. They got eliminated with the new CBA.

As you often hear the vendors walking the aisles screaming "CBA heah! Getcher CBA here! You can't tell a player's cap hit without your own copy of the CBA! CBA heah! Getcher CBA!"

Really?! What the hell. OK so where is Manchester anyway? Do they have bars and chicks?

Wouldn't surprise me if he's simply in the same situation that VLC is with the FLyers - a guy who isn't "done" but just doesn't "fit" with the roster he's on.

Trade VLC for Richards.  That could be fun.  :)

We all kinda knew that Mike played to big of a physical game for the body that God gave him. Still, sad to see a great warrior go this route. He meant a lot to this franchise for the years he was here and I still and always will respect the hell out of the guy. He left it all on the ice, (at least in a Flyers jersey) and no one can take that away.

I don't like him and rip him as much as much as any other fan who is not...a fan, but I have a hard time believe he's that bad at 29 that he'd be forced into retirement.

I think his 'badness' has more to do with his attitude and conditioning. The Kings even warned him to show up to camp in shape. Guess he didn't. 

You can't benchpress the puck in the net.

:)

We all kinda knew that Mike played to big of a physical game for the body that God gave him.

There are plenty of players his size in the NHL. Giroux is one of them. 

As I mentioned in my reply to fanatic, I think it's more a function of his poor attitude toward conditioning.

I thought maybe he would change in LA, but apparently he didn't.

EDIT: Seems Lombardi even flew to Kenora (or rather to Winnipeg, then drove 5 hours to get to Kenora) just to spend 5 hours with Mike and workout. Then he left. When the GM of the team flies to the middle of nowhere to 'check up' on your conditioning, you know you're in trouble.

You can see he tried to change from the quotes below.

According to Richards, there were indeed changes in his summer workouts. 

"I worked out with trainers for the first time in a long time," he said. "I never felt that I needed to be pushed off the ice to work out, but I think it’s good to have somebody there, first to make sure that you’re going every day, and secondly to help me with different things; even just having a guy there to spot you so you can do that extra round, or having a guy there to make sure you’re doing the right technique and you don’t hurt yourself. You can push yourself harder in different areas. It was nice to have someone there that if there’s a day you don’t feel like going, he’s there to push you, so you don’t take the easy way out. 

"I think before, not that I didn’t work hard, but I think I just took it for granted, where stuff was going on and you could skip a workout a day or two and not think it would be problem ... and then at the end of the summer, you’re probably not in the best shape you need to be in going into a season." 

There are plenty of players his size in the NHL. Giroux is one of them.

As I mentioned in my reply to fanatic, I think it's more a function of his poor attitude toward conditioning.

I thought maybe he would change in LA, but apparently he didn't.

Mike was never a great skater either and the speed of the game had passed him by.

I'm too old (and lazy), to figure out  the angles on a situation such as this one.  But, it seems to me that a team would not diminish the trade value of a player by putting him on waiver, unless they'd already failed to find a taker.   Also, Jammer's suggestion that Flyers could be left holding a smelly stick would be another reason LA  made this move.   

Howdy:

I think this is a stern warning to GMs that long-term contracts, even to players under 30, are fraught with risk. There may be a chilling effect to say the least.

Howie

Hi Howie,

You speak good sense. With GMs and owners, that may last until... Ooh Shiney!

And then we'll just have another lockout to make it all better.

We all kinda knew that Mike played to big of a physical game for the body that God gave him. Still, sad to see a great warrior go this route. He meant a lot to this franchise for the years he was here and I still and always will respect the hell out of the guy. He left it all on the ice, (at least in a Flyers jersey) and no one can take that away.

I think you've got a little something on your chin.

I think his 'badness' has more to do with his attitude and conditioning. The Kings even warned him to show up to camp in shape. Guess he didn't. 

You can't benchpress the puck in the net.

:)

Seriously, WTF is wrong with him (particularly after reading the quotes in your post to jammer)? How do you not get it at his age, especially after winning a couple of cups? Unreal.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with him (particularly after reading the quotes in your post to jammer)? How do you not get it at his age, especially after winning a couple of cups? Unreal.

Not sure. He probably had a lot of raw talent and early success and kinda coasted on that. It's like those kids who coast their way through school because learning came easy to them, and then struggle at university/college when no one is spoonfeeding them and nothing comes easy. You gotta work for it.

Because Bobby Clarke was never anointed "The Next Bobby Clarke" and handed the role. Bobby Clarke fought, hacked, slashed, bit, punched and clawed his way to the top.

Mike Richards was handed everything on a silver platter.

Now he likes caviar and vodka on his silver platter and has tens of millions of dollars and two Stanley Cups to go with his Memorial Cup, Calder Cup and Gold Medal.

The only player ever to do so.

What else does he need to prove?

To be clear, I think this is a classic cautionary tale, but what do you tell guys? "Don't be like Mike Richards - he never won any... oh,wait..."?

Archived