You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Kraken Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Sign in to follow this  
JagerMeister

How Would A Prime Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe And Orr Do In Todays NHL

How do you think they would fare in todays game?

Personally, I think Lemieux and Gretzky would still be leading the NHL in points today.

Because a 37 year old Gretzky in 1997 still had 90 points. There is even more proof Lemieux would dominate todays NHL.

A 37 year old Lemieux in 2002 still had 91 points in 67 games. Also, Jagr was still able to score 123 points in 2005 as a 34 year old and we all know Lemieux and Gretzky are clearly superior to Jagr.

Although i dont know how Howe or Orr would fare in todays NHL. 

• Like 1

Personally, I think Lemieux and Gretzky would still be leading the NHL in points today.

Because a 37 year old Gretzky in 1997 still had 90 points. There is even more proof Lemieux would dominate todays NHL.

A 37 year old Lemieux in 2002 still had 91 points in 67 games. Also, Jagr was still able to score 123 points in 2005 as a 34 year old and we all know Lemieux and Gretzky are clearly superior to Jagr.

I have no doubt Gretzky and Lemieux would be leading the NHL in points.

Uh. Gretzky with no red line? Ugh. Just Ugh. That man could thread a needle with a puck. And that is physically impossible.

We saw what Lemieux could do as an old man while giving guys piggybacks during clutch and grab mayhem.

No idea about the others since they were before my time. Buy videos I have seen of Orr and the way everyone talks about him  indicate he was probably the best player ever to lace them up, and good lord, he lead the league in scoring multiple times as a Dman? Has anyone else even done that once?

• Like 1

I have no doubt Gretzky and Lemieux would be leading the NHL in points.

Uh. Gretzky with no red line? Ugh. Just Ugh. That man could thread a needle with a puck. And that is physically impossible.

We saw what Lemieux could do as an old man while giving guys piggybacks during clutch and grab mayhem.

No idea about the others since they were before my time. Buy videos I have seen of Orr and the way everyone talks about him  indicate he was probably the best player ever to lace them up, and good lord, he lead the league in scoring multiple times as a Dman? Has anyone else even done that once?

Nope, only Orr has led the league in scoring. I mean this topic has come up in numerous other boards and 70 percent of the people that comment say that the NHL in todays game is to fast for them. BS. More popular boards= more trolls, or just people that dont know how good these guys were. Although this forum is quite active yet i havent seen one troll. PS sorry for going off topic

Edited by JagerMeister

I too can't speak to how Orr or Howe would do...also before my time, but I was lucky enough to see #99 and #66 play, albeit as Gretzky wound down his career, and Lemieux's was cut short by health problems.

Back when those two great players were on the ice, clutching, grabbing, huge goalie equipment, and semi regular head shots were the order of the day....yet those guys STILL managed to be elite leaders in many categories, especially offense.

Gretzky did it with speed, guile, cunning, while Lemieux did the same, but employed a bit more power to his game....many people are surprised to hear Lemieux's name and 'power' in the same sentence, but let's not forget...this guy was about 6'4 and about 230 pounds or so in his prime, and I HAVE seen the guy go right through defenders when finesse wouldn't work.

But anyways, to the thread question, I think the Great One and Super Mario in their primes would absolutely do well in today's game that  has less emphasis on clutching/grabbing, smaller goalie equipment, many fewer goons to have to navigate around on the ice, and head shots being more taboo (though obviously they still happen).

There are many more smaller skilled players in today's game who probably wouldn't have been given much of a shot back in the 80's and 90's.....some have the talent on their own to do well in ANY era, some are benefiting from the NHL's rules that favor skill over goonery....and if some good to marginal players do well in today's game, imagine what superstars like Gretzky and Lemieux would be like in 2015?

Just about flippin unstoppable..

I just don't see Howe and Orr in quite the same light as Gretzky and Lemieux. I'm not trying to insult anybody or take away from the fact that these two were great players, but they're just not there for me. I was shocked ESPN had Orr #2 and Gretzky #3 in fact on their all time greatest skill players list.

I just don't see Howe and Orr in quite the same light as Gretzky and Lemieux. I'm not trying to insult anybody or take away from the fact that these two were great players, but they're just not there for me. I was shocked ESPN had Orr #2 and Gretzky #3 in fact on their all time greatest skill players list.

That wasnt even the most shocking part of the list. Kovalev at 4 was.

And we are 'shocked' by ESPN HOCKEY lists......why, exactly??

We are talking about a company/network that stopped caring about the NHL product a long time ago.

Honestly, the ONLY thing I look to ESPN for is for up-to-date standings on their website (they are still one of the quickest to update game by game) and to have their real time scoreboards in the background if I am watching a game or doing something on the pc while a game is going on.

Their articles, for the most part, pedestrian at best, filler at worst....their 'lists'...well, let's say you can get more accurate ones (of just about any kind), from good dedicated fans who actually CARE about the NHL....like ones found here.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

ESPN and hockey... :thumbsd:

Orr changed the game. period. Still the only defenceman in history to win a scoring title. And he did it while actually playing some defence. +124 IN ONE SEASON. The guy flat out dominated. He was MVP of the 76 Canada Cup on one leg. 

• Like 1

Orr changed the game. period. Still the only defenceman in history to win a scoring title. And he did it while actually playing some defence. +124 IN ONE SEASON. The guy flat out dominated. He was MVP of the 76 Canada Cup on one leg. 

That wasnt even the most shocking part of the list. Kovalev at 4 was.

LMAO! Like I said...ESPN and hockey... :thumbsd:

Uh. Gretzky with no red line? Ugh. Just Ugh.

this made me laugh, in the way you intended.

Gretzky would be ridiculous in today's league.  Same with Lemieux,  he did some stuff in the 90's that was flat out physically unbelievable, those guys would wreck the league. 

Orr would be making people say Shea who ? Erik what ?  that dude was flat unbelievable also.

I'm no ESPN fan because of their failings in hockey, but the men they relied upon for those lists are no joke. Bourque, Hull, Gretzky, Potvin... Players like that you don't shrug off.

Orr changed the game. period. Still the only defenceman in history to win a scoring title. And he did it while actually playing some defence. +124 IN ONE SEASON. The guy flat out dominated. He was MVP of the 76 Canada Cup on one leg.

I don't argue Orr changed the game, especially for defensemen. However, the era of his games was far different than the Lemieux era or even Gretzkly era. I just don't see the physical side of the game, or worse, the clutch and grab side in those old time game reels. Guys argue about how vicious it was, but honestly, it has always looked light years behind from that aspect.

Gretzky is right there with Orr in +/- ... And aren't you usually against that stat anyway? Lol

I don't argue Orr changed the game, especially for defensemen. However, the era of his games was far different than the Lemieux era or even Gretzkly era. I just don't see the physical side of the game, or worse, the clutch and grab side in those old time game reels. Guys argue about how vicious it was, but honestly, it has always looked light years behind from that aspect.

Gretzky is right there with Orr in +/- ... And aren't you usually against that stat anyway? Lol

I'm not against the stat...I juist think you have to take it with a grain of salt. But when a player constantly puts up huge numbers on the plus side, you have to take notice.

Also when gauging alltime greats, you have to consider their era. Gordie Howe was one big mean MFer in his era. Now hes average sized. What was fast a few decades ago isn't so much now. Equipment is better. Players are in better shape etc. 

Of the four in question, the only one I didn't see in his prime was Howe. I did see him near the end of his career and it was pretty easy to guess how good he had been. Of the four I say without hesitation Orr was the best. He was the best (and fastest) skater, had skill that approached Mario, could shoot like Bobby Hull and had a hockey IQ roughly on a par with Gretzky. The only player I saw that could not only do everything, but do all of those things better than almost anyone could do any of them.

I think any one of those four, if he were playing today, would be fully capable of leading the league in scoring and winning multiple Hart Trophies.

Edited by JackStraw

I don't argue Orr changed the game, especially for defensemen. However, the era of his games was far different than the Lemieux era or even Gretzkly era.

If only Orr's knees wouldn't have broke he would have overlapped some with Gretzky and some other guys you're more familiar with and you would have some eye test memories. 

He was "done" before i became hockey aware but the hockey loving men in my family all say the same thing when asked about who the GOAT is, with no hesitation they say Orr, so that carries a lot of weight for me.  

Plus when you are looking at old "films" who knows what frame rate they were recorded at , or were transferred to, or are being played back at, they may have been recorded intentionally at 48fps so they could then be "slow motioned" later... too many unknowns, with old film to count on that other than to see other dudes skating and looking like they are in quicksand compared to #4.

@mojo1917

Players back then kept in shape by fishing in the summer or working another job. Thats just the way it was then. I have no doubt a lot of todays players could rack up large point totals back in the 60s because they're just bigger, stronger, faster and have better equipment. Thats why I judge Orr in his era, Gretzky in his, etc. If you want to stick Orr in this era, take into account his shot will now be with a composite stick. His skates will be way better than those things he wore then. He'll train all year round instead of drinking beer and fishing in Parry Sound over the summer. And his knees likely would have been saved, instead of butchered. Most people either never saw him play, or caught the tail end when he was crippled. 

Gretzky had more assists than any other player had points. 'Nuff said.

Wanted to bump this thread for the sole purpose of me wanting you guys to see what HFBoards thinks of how Gretz would do in the NHL....

Hilarity ensues because of ignorance....

Hidden Content

When Orr turned on the after burners, NOBODY....and I do mean NOBODY could even come close to catching him. It would be the exact same in todays game. He could do what he wanted, when he wanted....and there was not a thing anyone could do about it. In todays game, PK Subban is one of the most electric players doing the end to end rush, and Orr would make him look like he was stuck in concrete. Combne the outright scary speed with the best stickhandling ever and throw in an uncanny ability to anticipate and you get total and complete domination.

When Orr turned on the after burners, NOBODY....and I do mean NOBODY could even come close to catching him. It would be the exact same in todays game. He could do what he wanted, when he wanted....and there was not a thing anyone could do about it. In todays game, PK Subban is one of the most electric players doing the end to end rush, and Orr would make him look like he was stuck in concrete. Combne the outright scary speed with the best stickhandling ever and throw in an uncanny ability to anticipate and you get total and complete domination.

I agree with this completely. I also think the other three would have their same type of dominance. They would grow up playing against today's competition, and they would have today's training methods available to them. Who knows, with the more modern training methods and medical technology, Orr and Lemieux might even be able to recover better. If anything, they might be greater.

Taking a different approach to answering this question:

• Gretzky would be too small to play in today's NHL. He would get knocked around and concussed because nobody respects the star players.
  • Lemieux has the size to play in today's game, but I don't think he has the foot speed.
  • Howe is also too small to play in today's NHL.
  • Orr would never get drafted as a defencemen today given his size. He would be converted into a forward.

:thumbsu:

Taking a different approach to answering this question:

• Gretzky would be too small to play in today's NHL. He would get knocked around and concussed because nobody respects the star players.
  • Lemieux has the size to play in today's game, but I don't think he has the foot speed.
  • Howe is also too small to play in today's NHL.
  • Orr would never get drafted as a defencemen today given his size. He would be converted into a forward.

:thumbsu:

Tell me about it.

B330unfIUAAxq8m.png

• Like 1

Orr would never get drafted as a defencemen today given his size. He would be converted into a forward.

Yeah, no room for a guy who's 6'0", 200 pounds.

Man, I just realized Erik Karlsson will never make it... He's only 5'11", 180 pounds...

:ph34r:

• Like 1