For the 2014-15 Wild, It's Now or Never

TropicalFruitGirl26

Mike_Yeo_Minnesota_Wild.jpg

The boys start a 3 game, 6 day Western Canadian road trip against the Edmonton Oilers today.

Pretty simple.....as much as the team has piled on the losses before the ASG, they need to string together the wins after it.

6 possible points to be had and I think the Wild call this a successful trip by grabbing at least 5 of the 6 points. That's at least two wins and an OT loss.

Harsh? Impossible? Unreasonable? Unfair? Expecting too much?

All that may be true, but it is the Minnesota Wild's reality. Start winning streaks or they won't be playing past game 82, bottom line.

If there is a silver lining in this, it is that the Wild HAVE been giving themselves opportunities to win games. Even through the stretch where the goaltending was pretty bad.

The offense generated enough chances and the defense, for the most part, played well enough to keep the team in games.

But generating offense and capitalizing on those chances are two completely different things, as this team knows all too well.

There is no real logical reason to think that the talented players on this Minnesota squad will suddenly 'turn it up' and start beating just about everyone they face. Why should there be? They haven't done it all year. It's why they sit now in the standings exactly where they are...last in their division and a good 7 points out of the final WC spot.

But, the fan in me, knowing that the team DOES have good players simply has to keep believing that as a group, they will get it together for the final 35+ games or so and pull off the improbable. No logic need be involved.

It has to start tonight against one of the league's worst (record wise anyways) teams, the Oilers.

And if the standings are anything to go by, it will then get progressively harder as the road trip goes on with stops in Calgary and Vancouver, two teams the Wild are trying to track down for a playoff spot.

I can only hope that whatever fight the Wild had in them in that loss to the Red Wings before the All Star Break translates over the rest of the way.

The rest of this season has to play out, at least mentally, for the team, as if they are in the playoffs already, and elimination is just a couple losses away.

First step against the Oil...Go Wild!

And if the standings are anything to go by, it will then get progressively harder as the road trip goes on with stops in Calgary and Vancouver, two teams the Wild are trying to track down for a playoff spot.

Gotta win the games against the teams you're chasing, of you fall even further behind. You are absolutely right, this is a crucial stretch for the Wild.

I think they are still trying to gel as a "team" after all the roster shakeup of the past few seasons. They have some nice parts, but if the machine don't work it don't matter how nice the parts are.

Gotta win the games against the teams you're chasing, of you fall even further behind. You are absolutely right, this is a crucial stretch for the Wild.

I think they are still trying to gel as a "team" after all the roster shakeup of the past few seasons. They have some nice parts, but if the machine don't work it don't matter how nice the parts are.

May be so about 'gelling' part...but then again, the main core of the team is made up of young guys who have been together in the minors and long enough at the NHL level.

And outside of Vanek, the vets on the team had seen enough time (and success) together the past two years.

It just really comes down to 'stopping the puck' followed by 'putting the puck in the other net'.

As dumb as that sounds, that's really what it comes down for this team.

With the ridiculous amounts of chances this team creates for itself, if they can just put two or three away (not talking two or three difficult chances.....talking clear as day chances), then stop the puck when necessary at the other end, they can make up the ground needed.

Of course, to your other point, lose games in particular to a team you are trying to chase down (Calgary, Vancouver, then later Los Angeles and Winnipeg) and it really won't matter.....and even if the Wild win those games in OT, that STILL gives those teams they are chasing that 'loser point' to keep them just out of reach.

Gotta love those loser points, eh?

Well, the teams in front do for sure...

May be so about 'gelling' part...but then again, the main core of the team is made up of young guys who have been together in the minors and long enough at the NHL level.

And outside of Vanek, the vets on the team had seen enough time (and success) together the past two years.

Pominville, Neiderreiter are in their second full seasons, Vanek his first, Parise and Suter are in their third.

None of those guys have won anything elsewhere.  Matt Cooke has but, let's face it, he's Matt Cooke :)

Brodziak is a spare part.

Homegrown?

Zucker in his first, Coyle third. Fontaine and Haula almost still rookies. Carter's a journeyman.

None of those guys are game changers.

And then you have Koivu - who I am just about finished predicting a "breakout season" for*.

Then the defense and the obvious, glaring hole between the pipes.

Again, they have some very nice parts, but I just have yet to see it come together for them.

And I'm not sure that a first round exit followed by a second round exit equates to "success" over "the past two years" (2nd, 4th in division)

* And I'm a big Finn/Koivu fan who follows more Wild than most because Koivu's on my FHL squad.

You may want to call the thread  "Yeo's final stand".   If they don't come out in the second half hot, he's probably the next head coach to get the axe.

he's a guy that is really getting screwed over by the lack of a decent goalie.... the keepers for the Wild have been atrocious the numbers say they're a little below average, but the timing of the goals they give up are spirit breakers...every game i've watched i've seen the Wild with the puck for 13 -15 minute a period seemingly non stop chances and on the first decent zone entry the opposition gets boom, goal... i don't know how a coach can "fix" that.

clearly swearing a lot may not be the answer. 

he's a guy that is really getting screwed over by the lack of a decent goalie.... the keepers for the Wild have been atrocious the numbers say they're a little below average, but the timing of the goals they give up are spirit breakers...every game i've watched i've seen the Wild with the puck for 13 -15 minute a period seemingly non stop chances and on the first decent zone entry the opposition gets boom, goal... i don't know how a coach can "fix" that.

clearly swearing a lot may not be the answer. 

This.is.spot.on.

It's basically what I mean by finishing chances. Minnesota gets a ton...but for whatever reason, can't put them away regularly.

Almost feels like those missed chances deflate the team...to the point where even their own goalie at the other end goes "man, they MISSED THAT?"...then isn't quite ready when a rush comes his way.

That is ridiculous of course...missed chances on one end should have no bearing on how well a goalie plays in his end, but from a fan's POV, it sure seems that way.

Vanek somehow thinks he should be a passer, and he has continuously passed up decent to great shots for a pass to another teammate.

Vanek was brought on to shoot the damned puck. He needs to do that. Doesn't matter if he takes 10 SOG in a game and only nets one...its one more than he would get at this rate, by continually passing up primo scoring chances for a pass.

And the Oilers tonight SHOULD give the Wild a bunch of chances again to score.

Wild got one down, two more to go on the NW Canadian road swing.

Barely taking a 2-1 decision in regulation from the Edmonton Oilers, a win is a win....and the GWG was a beauty by none other than Charlie Coyle.....man if this guy can only accelerate his development....

Honestly, both teams as a whole, looked rather 'sloppy' for lack of a better term...lots of end to end action, despite the low score, but that action came at the expense of poor positioning and play by both sides.

If I were to describe this for Minnesota, I would say they won ugly (outside of Coyles game-winner...and as soon as I remember how to do videos in posts I will do so... :blink[1]:  )

But hey, sometimes you have to win ugly, and like I said, the Wild don't care HOW they get them at this point, only that they do.

Next stop, the Calgary Flames, who put a hurtin on the Buffalo Sabres 4-1, in Calgary, while the Wild were winning their game in Edmonton.

Ahhh, Charlie Coyle video...here we go....

Step 2, the Calgary Flames.

Wild will definitely have their hands full. The Flames are looking to make a claim of their own to a spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs, and why not....these guys from the beginning of the year have been in contention, and they are doing it with a good mix of young players and established vets, while still trying to find "their guy" in goal for the long term.

Wild will have to be aware of both furious offense and some stout hard hitting defense from these guys....but also, be on the lookout for mistakes that a young team like Calgary is likely to make, and not pass up on a chance to make them pay for it.

The Flames are also a bit more aggressive than the Oilers in terms of physical play, so while that can wear Minnesota down, it also can provide PP opportunities as some Flames players may take things a bit too far.

Both Minnesota and Edmonton played a bit sloppy last game out, Wild won a bit ugly, first game back  from the break...no excuses for this one.

Everyone on the Wild should now have their heads back in the game, from offense to defense to goaltending and the Flames would be more likely to make Minnesota pay for sloppy execution.

Hopefully, the Wild won't give them too much ammunition in the form of free giveaways, poor exit passes, and minimal sustained pressure.

If both teams' young players take over, then look out, as both teams feature some VERY FAST young players and this could turn into a track meet.

Basically another must win for Minnesota, as Calgary currently holds one of the Wild Card positions.

Wild get a sweep of the Western Canadian road trip....gotta love that.

They go home now to face the Blackhawks, Avalanche, and the Canucks.

6 points on the table once again and they will probably need at least 4 of the 6 points...preferrably 5 if they MUST drop a game in OT.....and WHO the loss comes against may be important.

Hawks are probably out of reach, but the Wild are battling with the Avs and Canucks for WC spots, so the losses CAN'T come there.

Playoffs for the Wild started after the All Star Break people....... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Minnesota Wild continuing to roll.

Had a slight hiccup with the OT loss to the Jets the other day (though they still managed the loser point), but got right back at it with a win against a game Florida Panthers team.

Up next for the Wild, a home game against the Carolina Hurricanes. Should be a win...on paper...but we all know what paper is good for...writing notes and wiping.... ;)

Wild put out a good effort, continue to have the PP work, and things should go fine.

Lots of work for Minnesota to do, and will need a bit of help in the form of some teams ahead of them losing, but the Wild have an 8 game point streak going, and they DO have many of the teams they need to catch upcoming on the schedule....Vancouver and Calgary for instance, after the Carolina game.

Wild also continue to ride Devan Dubnyk, despite carrying three goalies on the roster.

You figure at SOME point, Minnesota is going to have to play either Kuemper or Backstrom......but for the here and now, seems Coach Mike Yeo is happy riding the Dubnyk wave till the wheels come off....

Go Wild!

Dubynk looks like it's one of the pieces the team needed. He's always been considered a above average goalie. I think now being on a team with a decent defense and a team that can scores has helped his confidence which he was struggling with after leaving EDM.

The Wild STILL riding Devan Dubnyk, and still finding ways to garner wins and points.

After that setback in Vancouver, the Wild grabbed another two points (65 total now) against Calgary last night to bring them within one thin point of the final playoff spot currently shared between LA and SJ...both with 66 points.

Sure, the Wild had a 2-0 lead they let get away and Calgary did grab themselves the 'loser' point for the OT loss, but hey, what can be done? That is how the system is set up, and all the Wild can do is grab a win.

Better to be on the winning side of OT than on the losing side right? Even if one of the teams you are chasing still gets a point out of the whole spiel....

Calgary is one of the best come-from-behind teams in the league and they are quite excellent in OT's, so should be no surprise they came back on the Wild, but credit Minnesota for ending things in OT (the captain Mikko Koivu comes through!) and just coming away with the points and the 'W'.

And Matt Dumba....continuing to get better and better the more I see him play.

Barring some catastrophic drop in play, I don't envision Dumba ever seeing the light of day in a junior or AHL uniform moving forward...that young man may be with the Wild to stay.

Minnesota now travels to Edmonton where they have to treat the Oilers as if THAT team were a playoff team (yes, I know, difficult, but still.... ;)  )....Wild simply cannot afford 'trap games'.

Wild @ Oil...Friday night!

They are about to drop the puck in Edmonton..the Minnesota Wild continue on with their drive to the post season.

But they will do so tonight without the services of Jared Spurgeon, who got rocked in Calgary and is day to day with concussion-like symptoms.

Article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/293006591.html

Called up to take his roster spot is Christian Folin who will play a bottom defense pair role, while Matt Dumba is moved up to Spurgeons defense partner, Marco Scandella.

Hopefully, the Wild as a team treat Edmonton just like they have the playoff hopeful teams they already faced.

The Oil has been problematic for some teams recently, the last thing the Wild need is to be tripped up by a team not going to the post season.

Vancouver, Calgary, and Colorado all in action tonight, so Minny needs the two points to keep distance, pace, or make ground.

Go Wild!

At long last, the Minnesota Wild are in a playoff position!

After a 6-2 rout of the Dallas Stars last night, the Wild picked up their 68th and 69th points which vaults them over the glut of 68 point teams into the second WC....and two points behind the Winnipeg Jets, who hold on to the 1st WC at 71 points. Minnesota has two games in hand over the Jets and also hold the first tie breaker with 29 ROW's over the Jets' 24.

Ok, ok...so the Wild still have 20+ games left and with teams all bunched up near the bottom of the playoff run, anything can and probably WILL happen.

Still though, for a team that was left for dead by many just before the All Star Break (myself included), they are sitting pretty well, and barring some total collapse by the team, Devan Dubnyk suddenly forgetting how to stop pucks, or a rash of major injuries the rest of the way, I see no reason Wild fans can't stay optimistic about their chances of making the post season.

Next up, Edmonton in St. Paul tomorrow once again, followed by the Predators in Smashville on Thursday.

One other thing...

While it is a long shot...DEFINITE longshot...the Wild, with their point totals, sit just 6 points behind the Blackhawks for the guaranteed 3rd division playoff slot.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Considering that the Wild were sitting at the bottom of the Central Division not too long ago with no quality goaltending I have to think that this team will continue to hold a playoff position.  However, I don't expect the Jets to make the playoffs this season.  

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Considering that the Wild were sitting at the bottom of the Central Division not too long ago with no quality goaltending I have to think that this team will continue to hold a playoff position.  However, I don't expect the Jets to make the playoffs this season.  

Catching the Jets, IMO, should be the first order of business for the Minnesota Wild.

Not only will holding the 1st WC guarantee more playoff entry security, but if the top records in the Western Conference hold, then the 1st WC will be facing Anaheim instead of Nashville in the 1st round....and to be honest, I believe Nashville to be the more complete, more dangerous team to face between those two right now and moving into the post season.

Another thing, overall, the top Central teams look to be more solid right now than the top Pacific teams.

If Minnesota does manage to wrest the 1st WC from the Jets and face Anaheim in the 1st round instead of the Preds, it also means the Wild insert themselves in the Pacific Bracket...which of course means they will have to play out of that division to make it to the Western Conference Finals.

Yes, yes, beating out Anaheim STILL wouldn't be easy for Minnesota, but the alternative Preds would be tougher IMO.

And while I realize the Kings may very well be in the mix if the Wild are in the Pacific bracket, so are the chances of playing a team like San Jose, Vancouver, or Calgary should the Wild get by the Ducks. 

And while I don't want to take anything away from those clubs, I think those are quite beatable in a series for the Wild as opposed to trying to muddle through the likes of Nashville, St. Louis, and Chicago.

Let the Central teams beat the holy hell out of each other in that bracket (along with whichever team holds the bottom WC...hopefully the Kings, so THEY can be in the Central bracket and be in that dog fight), while Minnesota deals with a bit more travel in the Pacific bracket, but playing teams like the Sharks, Flames or Canucks....should they manage to get by Anaheim of course.

That all said, after the Edmonton game tonight, the Wild do face the Preds in what I believe to be a 'measuring stick' game for the team.

Maybe Minnesota can show in that game on Thursday vs the Preds that they can, in fact, play right with Nashville and really do have a chance in 7-game series.

Fans in the Twin Cities are a bit bummed the Wild dropped a home game against the lowly Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday.

Sure, Minnesota SHOULD have won that game, considering they've beaten much better teams since the All Star Break, but the fact remains, the Wild did NOT bring their best to the rink that game and credit must be given to the Oilers for playing hard and doing just enough to keep the Wild off balance for most of the game.

Even when the Wild seemed to control portions of the game with shots and offensive pressure, the Oilers didn't fold, kept trying to press themselves, got some fortunate bounces go their way, and simply did a bit more than Minnesota to win the game.

Well, you know what Wild fans? We weren't gonna win them all, let ups are gonna happen, and overall, despite the loss, things could have gone worse.

Calgary lost that same night (though they won yesterday bumping Minny out of the 8th/2nd WC spot), and Minnesota DIDN'T lose to a team they are competing with for a playoff slot.

Time to put all that behind us, focus now on the Predators who are playing quite well as we approach the post season.

Wild on the road, should be heavy underdogs going into Nashville, but that is for the gamblers.

This is a measuring stick game for Minnesota. A 'show me' game if you would.

Because should Minnesota NOT capture the 1st WC spot and squeeze into the playoffs as the 2nd WC, they most likely face the Preds in a 7 game set to open their playoffs.

Must win for Minnesota?

Hmmm....sorta...I mean, they need the points. Calgary took their 2nd WC spot with a win against the Devils last night, but as important as the two points are, Minnesota just needs to show they can play on the same ice surface as the Preds.

I think they can. Comes down to attitude, perseverance, and skill. The Wild do have that.

The challenge becomes applying that to a very good team like Nashville and getting past their Vezina quality goaltender Pekka Rinne.

Will new acquisition Sean Bergenheim be in the game?

I would think so, but no definitive word from the coaching staff has been made public just yet.

Minnesota certainly didn't trade for him to sit him out though, so I would lean towards "Yes" that he will play.

Let's go Wild!

Two points and put those Preds on notice! :D

@hf101

Big win indeed.

Minnesota played a solid game from the opening game to the final horn....very proud of their effort and they rewarded themselves with the two points and showed they CAN play with the Preds.

How it would play out over a 7-game set should they meet obviously is a different animal, but if this game was any indication, I'd say the Wild have a very good chance at an upset.

No excuses for the Preds either. They played well themselves for the most part, had their players on the ice, home game for them where they were a ridiculous 26-3-1 entering this game....Minnesota simply did a bit more than they did.

Also, Sean Bergenheim. Wow. He was a royal pain in the arse ALL game to Preds players.

Seemed just about every time Nashville tried getting something going through the neutral zone, ol Bergenheim was there to disrupt things, pick pockets, and just be a general nuisance to any plans the Preds had.

Bergenheim's stat sheet for the game will show no goal, no assists and a -2 rating, but I watched that game, and that stat line does him no justice. He was quite the pest all game to Nashville.

And kudos to the 4th line of Brodziak, Haula, and Fontaine. Those three really showed up to play and just makes me wish they were as effective more often in other games. 

With pressure off the top lines due to their work, the Wild may not have to worry so much about where the goals will come from.

Us fans can enjoy this one today, but tomorrow night, its back to work in Denver where the Wild have a chance to possibly extinguish the Avs' faint playoff hopes by handing them a loss.

Let's Get Wild!

Wild continue to roll....wins over the Avalanche and Senators since I last posted have gained them just a bit of separation between themselves and the pursuing teams NOT in a playoff position.

Minnesota is just now one point behind Winnipeg for the 1st WC spot.

My thought during this Wild run was that the better position for Minnesota would be 1st WC because that way they could possibly sidestep Nashville and be in the relatively less intimidating Pacific Division bracket.

Well, the Preds have looked quite ordinary lately while Anaheim has looked damned strong...and the Ducks have now even tied the Preds in points, so whom the Wild see in the first round, regardless of their WC status, is a total crap shoot right now.

And that Pacific bracket with the Kings (should they get in) a red hot Ducks team, and either a Calgary, Vancouver, or even a Sharks team that gets hot, doesn't look all that 'weak' all of a sudden.

Bottom line:

Wild just need to keep getting wins, let the chips fall where they may, and make it so other teams worry about playing THEM, rather than Minnesota worrying about whom they would be matched up against.

Whether its Anaheim, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Vancouver, so on and so forth...the Wild just need to bring it and make those guys adjust to THEM.

And with guys like Sean Bergenheim, Chris Stewart, and Devan Dubnyk continuing to play well (though Duby looked a bit mortal in the Sens game), in addition to the stepped up play of the Wild's main core of players, I think Minnesota stands a good chance of not only making the post season, but doing well in an opening round no matter whom they face.

Next game up for Minnesota:

A very dangerous Washington Capitals team.

A road game in DC.

This year's Capitals boasts the usual offense, but with some better defense under Coach Barry Trotz.

Get ready Minnesota....and GO WILD!

Two more big wins since my last post on here....one against the Caps, one against the Canes, both on the road, Minny has overtaken Winnipeg for the 1st WC, and have created some separation between themselves and the teams on the outside looking in.

Wild return to St. Paul and will have home games against the Avalanche tomorrow night and the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday before things get real interesting as Minnesota's status as contender will be tested against teams like Anaheim, St. Louis (twice), Nashville, and the Caps once again.

Rounding out the month is Toronto, the NY Islanders, Calgary, and Los Angeles.

Negatives?

Well, the schedule does get tougher and I am a bit concerned about the Wild getting Devan Dubnyk rest.

I realize Mike Yeo doesn't dare play Darcy Kuemper with Dubnyk being as hot as he is, but the bottom line is: Will there be any Dubnyk left for an opening round if they ride him the rest of the way to season's end?

Also in the negative column, the Wild have been playing the last few games without Marco Scandella and Jared Spurgeon on D.

Even though the team keeps winning, those two, especially Scandella, IMO, are a big part of what the Wild are about defensively.

Positives?

It's NOT JUST Dubnyk.

Wild have many players stepping up their play.

Jason Pominville, Mikko Koivu, Mikael Granlund, Nate Prosser, Matt Dumba....just to name a few.

All those guys have stepped it up, doing whatever they need to do to provide offense, shut down the opposition, etc.....and it just gives fans such as myself the sense that, no matter how bad a game may look, the Wild have it in them to pull out a win.

Sean Bergenheim and Jordan Leopold have fit in well so far...Chris Stewart?

Good first game...but the last couple...hmmm....not so much.

Love his size and strength, but would like to see some more urgency out of him.

Some on this site aren't big Chris Stewart fans, and if what I have seen over the last couple games is any indication, I can kinda see why.

Still though, he is on a new team, is playing for a contract next season, and needs to show either the Wild or some other team that he is worth having on their roster.

Plus he is in a flippin playoff race...rescued from top draft pick hell in Buffalo....if he can't get fired up about that, I dunno what WILL fire him up.

So, will give him a mulligan for now.

His worth may have yet to really shine till the Wild meet up with some of the 'heavies' of the league like the Ducks, Blues, and Kings.

Wild-Avs...tomorrow night, Go Wild GO!!

Loss to the Avs, win against the Devils since my last post.

Wild are still sitting pretty well in the overall playoff picture with Winnipeg cooled off, the Sharks having issues stringing together wins, Avs and Stars pretty far back in the rear view, and having better point totals than both Calgary and Los Angeles.

But tonight is a stiff test against Anaheim and one that the Wild would like to pass handily: this MAY be an opening round playoff preview.

Starting tonight, the Wild enter a stretch of games against likely playoff bound opponents, four of which, the teams are at, or vying for, first place in their divisions (Ana, StL twice, Nash, NYI).

Throw in Washington, Calgary, and Los Angeles in that mix and one can see the Wild won't have the luxury of 'cruising' through to the end of the regular season.

Wild will still be without Marco Scandella tonight...which is a shame, because Scandella  is exactly the type of defenseman who can deal with the big, fast forwards Anaheim has.

Still though, the guys Minnesota has been putting in there regularly, including Jordan Leopold, have been getting the job done....and if Jared Spurgeon has a chance to roam, he could cause the Ducks problems with his speed and passing ability from the blue line as well.

I will be at tonight's game cheering on the green, red n gold....and looking forward to my Xcel Energy Center burger basket....one of the best burgers I've ever eaten at ANY sporting event.

Let's get WILD!

Archived