Nabokov Waived; Vasilevskiy In As Backup To Bishop

Andrei+Vasilevskiy+Tampa+Bay+Lightning+v

From CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25015428/lightning-waive-veteran-goalie-evgeni-nabokov

From Yahoo Sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/evgeni-nabokov-waived-by-lightning--end-of-the-road-182816192.html;_ylt=AwrBEiFTdM5UMGYAe0FNbK5_

Longtime NHL veteran goaltender, Bishop's 'back up' plan man, and all around good locker room guy (according to many player reports) Evgeni Nabokov has been put on waivers by the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Nabokov simply has not been what the Bolts were hoping for when they signed him, even though Ben Bishop would be getting the lion's share of the starts.

Nabby's numbers when he did play were pretty bad, and I can tell you, as a fan, I always had to hold my breath whenever the Lightning zone was under siege by the opposition, as I knew sooner than later a puck was going to get past him.

I will admit to being excited at the start of the season at having a solid vet like him backing up Bishop, but really the way things turned out, he has been no better than Anders Lindback was as a backup last season.

Difference being of course, Nabokov has much mileage on him already, and the articles suggest this may be the end of his fine career.....unless someone wants to take a chance on him through the waiver wire.

This means young outstanding AHL goalie (who has already seen time with the big club) Andrei Vasilevskiy will be Bishop's backup.

But you know, in watching Vasilevskiy play, he MAY do more than just back up Ben Bishop....he may push him for a starter's job.

Crazy as that sounds, and as integral as Bishop has been to the success of the Lightning, from what I've seen, Vasilevskiy really is that good, and if he continues to be, he won't be a backup for much longer and the Bolts either next year or the year after may actually have to make a decision:  stay with Bishop as his salary rises, or go with the young Vasilevskiy, who is more cost effective for more years, and from the looks of it, equally as effective.

As for Nabokov, I wish him well in whatever is next for him, be it another team, or retirement.

Just not sure if he has anything left at the NHL level, so even a change of scenery may not do much for him, and I can't see him settling for an AHL job to finish off his career....unless of course, he feels he does have a thing or two left and just needs regular playing time on a team's farm system.

But I think it is safe to say, Nabokov may call it a career.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Tampa has two very fine goalie prospects in the game who have been splitting time at Syracuse, Vasilevskiy has been having a better year than Gudlevskis but you cannot go wrong with either, IMHO.

Nabokov.

His career is likely done, in his prime he was a hell of a workhorse, The Sharks were wretched more often than not for years and he put the team on the map. I always tied Nabokov and Giguere together in my mind, two California goalies with cool names who carrier their teams out of insignificance. I had a tremendous respect for the way that both played and wish Nabby luck in what I have to assume is his retirement unless he wishes to continue his career for a bit in the KHL.

Here's an article from TampaBay.com, guys:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/lightning-places-evgeni-nabokov-on-waivers/2215972

It doesn't really state anything the other already didn't, however, there is one bit in there I found interesting.

Says Nabokov was originally brought in to "mentor Andrei Vasilevskiy"....who of course, is now replacing him on the roster as the backup.

I just find that odd because, 

A) Nabokov, as long as Bishop was playing, would be on the Lightning roster in Tampa and on the road, while Vasilevskiy would be in Syracuse and on the road with his team, the Crunch.

B)Nabokov was brought in as a 'solid veteran' to replace Anders Lindback as a backup in case Bishop wasn't available for critical games, or to give Bishop rest, while still giving the Lightning assurance that they would be getting good goaltending even if Bishop wasn't in net.

Now, I have no doubt that at some point if Nabokov's and Vasilevskiy's paths crossed and they travelled and were on the same roster simultaneously (only would happen with Bishop out for a lengthy stretch) that Nabokov could impart some of his experience to the younger Russian, but still, this just sounds like hyperbole from the writer to make a sort of 'student takes teacher's place' story sound better than what it is.

Minor quibbling and nitpicking for sure, I know, but still, it did attract my attention.

Bottom line was, Nabokov was brought in so the team wouldn't worry or play any differently if Bishop went down, that didn't work so well, Vasilevskiy had been doing well in the minors, beating out his AHL partner Kristers Gudlevski for playing time with the big club, and thus there no longer was room for a 39 yr old goalie who wasn't playing particularly well.

I wonder how the Lightning will approach this moving forward though...at least for the rest of this season.

Bishop is undoubtedly the number one, but Vasilevskiy had done so well in the AHL because he played pretty regularly.

Granted, he won't get the same playing time behind Bishop as he did with the Crunch, but I am thinking, perhaps the Lightning should MAKE more starts for him at the NHL level, even if Bishop can play for a couple reasons:

1-- Keep Vasi sharp and help him develop further at NHL speed.

2-- Keep Bishop as fresh as possible heading into the post season.

Once the playoffs starts, there is no question Bishop SHOULD be the every game goalie, barring injury of course.

And I think a healthy, rested Bishop, who will STILL see some grade A competition leading up to it in February and March, could help take this team quite far in the post season.

If Bishop's backup was below average (as Nabakov was), I can see just running Bishop out there everyday during the regular season until he just can't...but when you have a prime prospect like Vasilevskiy, why NOT give the 20 yr old more starts than he would normally get?

Could pay off big time for the Bolts later on.

And KHL? Nabokov?

Perhaps.

He is Russian, but I don't know what his living, family, and post playing career plans were...he just may very well decide to call it a career (and a very good one) and spend the rest of his time being around family and friends, while reflecting back on some of his great moments.

Maybe the KHL then retiring in Russia works better for him, who knows.

But the KHL is in financial troubles, no?

I'd also wonder if he'd want to involve himself in possible work stoppages if it came down to that over there.

I guess we will know in a few days or so where he will go. 

Have a look at this...from the San Jose Sharks website:

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=752489&navid=TW

Apparently clearing waivers, the Sharks actually traded for Nabokov (future considerations for the Lightning) and he is now back with the team he was long associated with in San Jose.

According to the link, he will make an announcement on Feb 11th regarding his future in hockey.

Just posted about Nabby and whats going on with him in the SHARKS thread...

I do believe he was a great GT even though he's gotten older now, I am happy that he was, for a short time, with my BOLTS and I wish him all the best on what he decides to do back with the Sharks.

Vasy on the other hand, he deserves to be where he is at with our team. As a rookie he has had a really impressive start with us.

Just posted about Nabby and whats going on with him in the SHARKS thread...

I do believe he was a great GT even though he's gotten older now, I am happy that he was, for a short time, with my BOLTS and I wish him all the best on what he decides to do back with the Sharks.

Vasy on the other hand, he deserves to be where he is at with our team. As a rookie he has had a really impressive start with us.

Hey, everyone I knew in person and on online forums, in the Bolts fanbase and outside of it, lauded the signing of Nabokov at the beginning of the season.

Was the right move to make at the time (while jettisoning Lindback), but it just didn't work out quite like the Bolts or the fans hoped.

I don't wish ill towards Nabokov....he tried to win with the team, but just didn't have what he needed to do so here.

I wish him well with whatever he decides to do moving forward.

Nabokov imo was traded so he could retire a Shark.

That's what is certainly is looking like.

Especially since I can't see the Sharks bumping either Niemi or Stalock in favor of him.

Also, he DID make it a point to tell people he has an upcoming announcement regarding his future.

Archived