Matt Cooke Possibly Out for Season

AJgoal

I knew Matt Cooke had been in and out of the lineup all season but first I am hearing of him being out the rest of the year.

Meaning, no Cooke for a playoff run....meaning there is roster spot now permanently open for the rest of this year.....meaning the Wild will get regular playing time from a guy who can actually, you know...play hockey.

Heck, if the Wild want a bottom six agitator, Stephane Veillieux from Iowa would fit the bill nicely...and all without the Cooke baggage.

Stu Bickel could see more ice time......jeez...Wild even signed Ruslan Fedotenko for a tryout with the Iowa Wild some time back, get him a shot at the NHL level again.

See where I am going with this?

A Matt Cooke loss is NO big loss, IMO.

Whatever Matt Cooke can do (aside from the suspendable BS) the Wild can find a player or three to do the same job...and probably better too.

Unfortunately, this still means Minnesota fans still have one year left of Cooke for next year before he becomes a UFA, but at least for this playoff drive, they can fill it with a real help towards that drive.

4 wins a row and no Matt Cooke in sight. Not gonna say its because he ISN'T there, but I WILL say they are doing that just fine without him.

Really??

The Wild will trade to the Devils Matt Cooke with one year left on his contract for next season, for Jaromir Jagr, whose contract is up at the end of THIS season.  ;)

Matt Cooke is a great player who brings alot to the table, along with being one of the classiest players in the league. I wouldnt trade him...

The outpouring of sympathy in this thread is overwhelmingly overwhelming...

It's what happens when you are the kind of pro athlete who wants to win so badly (a good thing), that he doesn't give a care in the world how he goes about it, or who may lose their livelihood over his methods (a bad thing).

You know what they say about karma............she ain't nice sometimes.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It's what happens when you are the kind of pro athlete who wants to win so badly (a good thing), that he doesn't give a care in the world how he goes about it, or who may lose their livelihood over his methods (a bad thing).

You know what they say about karma............she ain't nice sometimes. ;)

He should just be removed from the NHL. In all honesty.

He should just be removed from the NHL. In all honesty.

You know, I keep telling people, Stephane Veillieux can be every bit the agitator Matt Cooke is....and all without the stupid, reckless rat play and a much smaller salary.

Veillieux is MORE than happy being on an NHL team, working the 4th line (and he is pretty quick with some very good checking skills) as either a wing or center.

I know the Minnesota fanbase has lots of Veillieux haters (not really sure why), and he brings just about ZERO offense, but if its a checking agitator who just keeps his mouth shut with concerns to team roles and plays hard is what you need in your 4th line, I give my vote to Stephane every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Matt Cooke...every single time.

Veillieux will be a UFA after the season, I am hoping the Wild can maybe give him a bit of a salary bump (guy 'only' makes a paltry $575 K) to stay on as a regular 4th liner for the team and although Minnesota is STILL stuck with Cooke for next year at a $3M cap hit, maybe ol "Cookie" can be phased out as soon as training camp 2015.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, Matt Cooke has returned well enough to join the Wild for the post season.

Two games in, and he has been mostly a non factor, TBH.

Guys like Erik Haula are riding the press box due to Cooke being in, but unless Matt picks up his game (I.E., be the Wild's version of Steve Ott), I'd want to have a look at Haula in the playoffs.

Not calling for Matt Cooke dirty play, but I AM calling for the type of asshattery that is legal enough to keep him in games, but just barely ILLEGAL enough to piss off the Blues.

Get it together Matt....your usefulness as a skater and scorer are extremely limited.

Iffin yer gonna play in my lineup, do what you do best and that is agitate, agitate, agitate.....so far, Jason Flippin Zucker, on top of his offense, is doing a better job at that than you are!

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Hope he turns over the game winning goal in all games.

I hope NOT.

Bad enough we have to have him on the team.....don't need him NOT being on the team all season, only to come back and screw up all the hard work the team has done to get this far and into the post season!

Not a fan at all of the guy (really, who is?)....but if he MUST be on my team, at least cancel out that jerk Steve Ott on the other side.

Right now, Ott is all over Jason Zucker, one of the Wild's fastest, most dynamic players...and to Jason's credit, he is handling it, and even giving some of it back not only to Ott, but to others such as TJ Oshie and David Backes.

But the point is, guys like Zucker shouldn't HAVE to deal with that.

Cooke's job is to antagonize the antagonizers.

If he can't do that, then just sit him down, give me back Erik Haula, who admittedly, has been disappointing this season, and the Wild can all muddle through the final year of Cooke's contract in 2015-16.

I hope NOT.

Bad enough we have to have him on the team.....don't need him NOT being on the team all season, only to come back and screw up all the hard work the team has done to get this far and into the post season!

Not a fan at all of the guy (really, who is?)....but if he MUST be on my team, at least cancel out that jerk Steve Ott on the other side.

Right now, Ott is all over Jason Zucker, one of the Wild's fastest, most dynamic players...and to Jason's credit, he is handling it, and even giving some of it back not only to Ott, but to others such as TJ Oshie and David Backes.

But the point is, guys like Zucker shouldn't HAVE to deal with that.

Cooke's job is to antagonize the antagonizers.

If he can't do that, then just sit him down, give me back Erik Haula, who admittedly, has been disappointing this season, and the Wild can all muddle through the final year of Cooke's contract in 2015-16.

Matt Cooke is another reason why I want to see the Pens and Wild in the Stanley Cup Finals!

Archived